Critque a cover?

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko

So yeah... still trying (Hopefully this is the right forum... sorry if it isnt!! DX )

but yeah im proud its on time though...

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Critique on Cover
  • The mix is a bit odd? There seems to be a "doubled" effect on the instrumental. Is that intentional?
  • The vocals are being drowned out by the BG music. I'd recommend fixing up the vocals by making them louder and fixing up the EQ's. If you need mixing help, there are a bunch of tutorials available to you that explain the basics of mixing and also provide tips on how to mix.
  • Overall the cover needs a little more love. It's good that it's on time, but that's just the basics and covering a song really shouldn't end there.
Critique on Bank(s)
  • The oto sounds as if it is almost non-existent? An oto is important so that listeners could understand (well, not entirely if you know what I mean) or at least be able to make out the lyrics an UTAU is singing. I assume you know this because you stated so in the description of your video. More work has to be done on both otos.
  • The bank quality is a bit low, probably because of the way you recorded? I know not everyone gets to have a super fancy fantastic mic--I'm not a mic elitist either-- but some consonants sound too soft and the whole thing sounds muddy. This can be fixed a bit, though. Mixing covers up for most of what a "crappy" mic can't do, trust and believe me when I say this.
  • Your mic isn't even that bad tbh. It's good for recording softer banks because it gives a muted feel?
Overall-try playing around with mixing and practicing more. Later on, try tuning if you're up for it. I can't give you a detailed training regimen to instant improvement, but if you put effort and apply what you've learned, you'll produce better quality covers in the long run.

ARIA

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Critique on Cover
  • The mix is a bit odd? There seems to be a "doubled" effect on the instrumental. Is that intentional?
  • The vocals are being drowned out by the BG music. I'd recommend fixing up the vocals by making them louder and fixing up the EQ's. If you need mixing help, there are a bunch of tutorials available to you that explain the basics of mixing and also provide tips on how to mix.
  • Overall the cover needs a little more love. It's good that it's on time, but that's just the basics and covering a song really shouldn't end there.
Critique on Bank(s)
  • The oto sounds as if it is almost non-existent? An oto is important so that listeners could understand (well, not entirely if you know what I mean) or at least be able to make out the lyrics an UTAU is singing. I assume you know this because you stated so in the description of your video. More work has to be done on both otos.
  • The bank quality is a bit low, probably because of the way you recorded? I know not everyone gets to have a super fancy fantastic mic--I'm not a mic elitist either-- but some consonants sound too soft and the whole thing sounds muddy. This can be fixed a bit, though. Mixing covers up for most of what a "crappy" mic can't do, trust and believe me when I say this.
  • Your mic isn't even that bad tbh. It's good for recording softer banks because it gives a muted feel?
Overall-try playing around with mixing and practicing more. Later on, try tuning if you're up for it. I can't give you a detailed training regimen to instant improvement, but if you put effort and apply what you've learned, you'll produce better quality covers in the long run.
I didnt double it o-o thats weird..... and well i tried making it louder and it sounded to harsh... so I dont even know... And I have been trying.. TT-TT but as you can see I suck pff and I literally took 2 or 3 hours on this TT-TT so that comes to show how bad I am....

And I was supposed to get someone to oto it for me, but it never happened. I tried myself and as you can see, it sounds worse.... And I thought the recording itself was a butt load better than my last ones...... but oh well.... And I used a good mic for it TT-TT idek what Im doing wrong....... I keep trying... but for some reason I feel like I'm getting worse throughout the year.....

Any ways to help with the oto though? TT-TT cause I just make it worse

sorry if i sound so negative xP im not mad at you :P Im just frustrated since I suck at utau...

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Please read below. It's long, brace yourself.
I'm going to be completely honest here: you definitely aren't gonna get anywhere if you keep that negative mentality, and for the sake of your own personal growth, PLEASE don't keep yourself that way. If you keep saying "everything I do is bad no matter how hard I try :sad:" well there you go, it's bad. If you want to believe that your 2~3 hours of work was good enough for now, then go ahead and do so, but to continue saying ""yeah..I know...what I do is HORRIBLE" when someone points out flaws that you can VERY WELL use to your advantage will ultimately set you back even further along.

I'm not saying "oh be optimistic all the time bc your work will ALWAYS be fabulous if you believe hard enough" bc no, it's good to notice if something isn't going very well. But you have to sort of balance between being proud bc you've put in work to help you improve and just being critical of your work.

I'm not saying this to bring you down. You've gotta understand that it's not gonna be an instant non-failure trip to being an amazing UTAU user right away. It's good you've been trying, though, so keep at that.Like say--if these recordings were better than the last ones, what'll happen when you continue to record and continue to improve? The quality will get better, yea? And if you're ever graced with an awesome ass mic for Christmas, then boom there you go. More room for improvement. You're not gonna be a one-shot hit over the course of a couple months (lest you've been practicing everyday nonstop or smth), and I'm sure you know that (at least I hope so).

Lastly, if you noticed you've gotten "worse" over the course of the year, don't you ever sit and wonder ways how to NOT get "worse?" Do you ever actually google any tips or tricks to improve instead of persistently doing the same old, same old and expecting something to improve? Like if the quality of your recordings suck or smth, do you ever google "recording tips for better recording" or if you can't oto well do you ever search "cv oto tutorials" at all? Honestly, that's all it takes. FIVE SECONDS and you have an answer. And I recommend for OTOing especially-- that you take the time to learn and do it yourself. Trust me, it's honestly better in the long run.

But sighs to spare you some searches:
Here's a CV oto tutorial. That will help.
Some recording tips. This will too
Need even MORE help? Google is your best friend.

And I know I sound completely **** when I talk, but just know everything I type is all to help you out and help you improve. I mean, why would I sit and type a long ass reply for about 30 minutes if it wasn't meant to help? I'm just not one of those people who will say "oh it's A M A Z I N G" just to feed your ego--ESPECIALLY when it's a critique.

And to put things into perspective as to why practice and persistence will ultimately help you improve, here's my line of progress.:

Reactions: comet3 and Kiyoteru