Design Originality/Presentation

ExistenceReaper

Procrastinator
Defender of Defoko
It's obvious what isn't original, but what do you think "original" is? What kind of design ideas do you want to see more of, and what kind of presentation of the design do you like to see? (By presentation, I mean art style, medium, dynamics, etc., basic principals of design).

NOT asking specifically about the character design, but more about the way they are presented.

ExistenceReaper

Procrastinator
Defender of Defoko
That isn't really what I'm asking.
Yes, I did read that, and no, it does not answer my question. I'm asking what styles people prefer, like what kind of influence people find the presentation of design has on their opinion of the character, not the design itself.
Like what people would think of it=f the design looked like it was painted in watercolor or something. Things like that.

Madam Meisaki

Certified Nohrian Scum
Defender of Defoko
That isn't really what I'm asking.
Yes, I did read that, and no, it does not answer my question. I'm asking what styles people prefer, like what kind of influence people find the presentation of design has on their opinion of the character, not the design itself.
Like what people would think of it=f the design looked like it was painted in watercolor or something. Things like that.
I think people naturally prefer an anime style - detailed and polished. I've noticed that - the higher quality the art - the more people who may flock to the UTAU. Unique things such as painting the UTAU in water colour is rarely done - and the UTAU community quite likes when people try new things like that. At least, this is from my experience.

Reactions: ExistenceReaper

JAY

Tea Enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
Original is pretty much anything that's not a crypton or macloid copy. Obviously I understand with macloids that's part of the design, but you can still be more original with it than copying all the other macloids.

With naming I actually don't mind the -ne ending. I know it's not original but it can give names really cool meaning. For example, Memaine Uzu roughly means "Swirl sound of vertigo" and the whole sound part is because of the -ne ending.

I used to have two crypton copy UTAUs back in the day, and now I say "**** that shit" to them. My proudest UTAU design is Uzu, because I personally think she's very original (not to toot my own horn) because of the fact that she isn't stupidly bright and colorful, doesn't have the classic belts and arm warmers (though her mesh sleeves, ribbons, and sash are inspired by it).
[doublepost=1460644412][/doublepost]
I think people naturally prefer an anime style - detailed and polished. I've noticed that - the higher quality the art - the more people who may flock to the UTAU. Unique things such as painting the UTAU in water colour is rarely done - and the UTAU community quite likes when people try new things like that. At least, this is from my experience.
Rip I didn't answer the question right either. I agree though, clean anime designs do better in my opinion. That doesn't mean everything else is bad though. I do think the community really appreciates an element of an UTAU's design that stands out and is different from all the rest.

ExistenceReaper

Procrastinator
Defender of Defoko

Thank you for your input. I enjoy seeing people go off the beaten path; it's refreshing.

Madam Meisaki

Certified Nohrian Scum
Defender of Defoko
Thank you for your input. I enjoy seeing people go off the beaten path; it's refreshing.
Yesyes, that's what I mean. While the anime style is very accepted, people like the experimental styles that catch the eye as well. As long as it is pleasing to the eye and polished, as well as not a copy of something else, I think it will be accepted.

JAY

Tea Enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
That's a cool name
[doublepost=1460644611][/doublepost]

my last reply didn't do what I wanted it do do cool name
Thanks! I tried way too hard //shot
[doublepost=1460645354][/doublepost]
Yesyes, that's what I mean. While the anime style is very accepted, people like the experimental styles that catch the eye as well. As long as it is pleasing to the eye and polished, as well as not a copy of something else, I think it will be accepted.
^^^^^^ THIS