Tutorial Designing UTAU Characters: DOs and DON'Ts

Mostly DON'Ts, honestly...

1. Cdra

Cdra priest seadra of the cult of utaism Global Mod Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Cdra submitted a new resource:

Building UTAU Characters: DOs and DON'Ts - Mostly DON'Ts, honestly...

Read more about this resource...

Piia and VocAddict like this.
  3. KNΞMΛTCS

KNΞMΛTCS Just an UtaForum user Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I'd like to point out although you mentioned the infamous "-ne" suffix, you forgot to give mention to the -LOID naming scheme. This, like the -ne suffix, is washed-up and boring. And telling people to not use -ne but not even mentioning -LOID will probably result in people using -LOID. Just a pointer, if you like that suffix then that's fine.

Piia likes this.
  4. Cdra

Cdra priest seadra of the cult of utaism Global Mod Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Nope, -loid (or -poid, etc) is just as bad. I'll make sure to note it. Not only is it overplayed, it also stands for "Vocaloid" -- which, when you think about it, is really not something you should be using to name an UTAU.

5. VocAddict

VocAddict Voice Within Us Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I honestly laughed when I checked the 'weaboo' name list and saw that two of the words literally makes up UTAU's name. I really don't even remember how I came up with the name now honestly. Nice guide.

Piia likes this.
  6. 幸兔雪 (Yukito Yuki)

幸兔雪 (Yukito Yuki) Defoko's Slaves Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I think that "Ai" is fine name because it is a "real name" and doesn't mean bad thing. ("Ai" can be also written other way than use kanji "love".)

But yeah, I agree with "suki" and "daisuki" because them aren't... well, let's say real name and sounds very weird.

7. Cdra

Trophy Points
    Kuro, Shiro, Hikari, Sakura, and others on the list are also real names and don't mean anything bad. However, they hold the connotation of "weeaboo" when used as names by people who are not themselves Japanese, because they are words that are easily and often picked up by those who have casual encounters with the language (and their meanings are... especially "generic", in a sense). Thus, they shouldn't be used as names for UTAU.

8. Xepheris

Xepheris Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Hahaa if I had only had this when I was making my utoot a few years ago (Last name being Myuto (Mute) and all) Now I don't have the heart to change it- hnngmajorcrisis

Good guide, handy for noobs.

Piia likes this.
  9. dragon doll ♕

dragon doll ♕ Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Finally someone pointed these things out, thank heavens.
    Although I don't really agree on avoiding names similar to popular UTAU... What if the character existed long before the creator knew about them? Luckily I have never been interested in Japanese names (My UTAU -plural-'s names can't be even written in katakana, and I also stopped using the word "ACT1/2/3"), but I would be really annoyed to change my character's name just because of someone more "popular" than me. This is a bit tricky, because an UTAU's release date doesn't tell when it was actually created (i.e. My male UTAU was a project since 2012, but I managed to find a voicer and release him only this year).
    I completely agree on desings, because many people don't give many importance to this aspect of their UTAU (plural), making them look a bit "boring". Even a simple design can be out-standing sometimes, it's all about finding the right style for your character(s) and keep it going.

10. Cdra

Trophy Points
    Two things: as to your issue, my point still generally stands in the sense that when making a new character, you should avoid it. Names should be recognizable; if it's the same as someone else's that's commonly talked about, constant confusion will arise and it'll be impossible to say, search for your UTAU on sharing sites. Otherwise, as with the entire guide, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Secondly, anything can be written in katakana. Anything. It may look ridiculous and nothing like its original spelling, but there's always a way.

11. WendytheCreeper

WendytheCreeper (>☉ ͡ヮ☉<) Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I think the point about having an outfit be of a reasonable complexity is very important! Too often I see people who don't put any sort of meaningful detail on their characters' outfits: If you're going to do jeans and t-shirt, you better be able to accessorize!

Another point with outfit complexity: complexity applies to colors too! If any of you have encountered a design with too many highly saturated colors clashing into each other at once, then you know what I mean. In fact, part of what makes Miku's design work so well(and be really stealable) is how colors are used in her design: her design's only main color is teal, with everything else being neutrals that help tie it together. Color counts!

12. Cdra

Trophy Points
    A great point, though at least a few people would call me a hypocrite if I don't word this sort of thing very carefully (i.e.: look at Halt's color scheme)! I'll add a point about color in there somewhere.

13. PrinceofHades

PrinceofHades A wandering soul Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    -quietly wishing this had been around 2 years ago because dammit she used a "weeaboo" word in the surname and now feels like an idiot-
    -please forgive the young Ib who had absolutely no idea how Japanese worked 2 years ago-

14. BuniiCake

BuniiCake Queen of Bunnies, Thou shalt not forget. Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Aaah I do hope my UTAU Usagi is at least OK ;;v;;

15. slashhearts

slashhearts Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    oh man, i originally made my utau in like 2009 so i broke like every rule here. that being said, it was an earlier time so i suppose there's some wiggle room there.

while it might be too late for me, i'd also recommend perusing the list of jinmeiyo kanji (with jisho for definitions) for characters that are actually used for names. the list even has some stylistic variants with certain characters!

jinmeiyo list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinmeiyō_kanji
    jisho: http://jisho.org/

Kiyoteru likes this.
  16. CoreWorld28

CoreWorld28 Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    This is super helpful for my UTAU!

17. KagamiPagami

KagamiPagami Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    "DON'T: Combine Japanese names with non-Japanese names. This is a particularly subjective point, but a name like "John Nakamura" might be very jarring to read."

//hits the yeet on Penelope Aida