Developing CV-VC reclist

BaseNumbers

Momo's Minion
So I decided to jump directly into CV VC (I don't want to take too much time with CV and then too much time with CV VC so it's better to take too much time in one thing right?)

There's like two mentionings of Vietnamese in this forum and they aren't helpful so...

It wouldn't take relatively long to find the necessary phonetics of Vietnamese but the question I have is how to structure your reclist so that all phonetics are covered?

(Wording's weird, but those who made a reclist know what I'm asking about)

Are there any other CV VC reclists to look at (English, Chinese, etc.)? What should I look for in them that I could adjust my Vietnamese reclist to be like?

Then there's recording and otoing but that's another stage I'll ask about later :tongue:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm not familiar with the language, sorry. But the structure of a Chinese/Korean reclist and the structure of an English/German reclist (just examples) would be different. For languages like Chinese and Korean, the CVs and the VCs are separate, since there isn't too many of the VCs. But for something like English the samples are arranged in strings and then oto'd into different samples. The VCs would take too long to record if they were separated.

In order to cover all the phonetics of the language, you could try using the method Avy used for writing her english list. First identify all the consonants and vowels you think you'll need, then go through all the combinations and think of any words that would need it. "Would I need ba? would i need cha?" Then you can test the list by trying to make words and phrases. If you come across anything that's missing, you just add it to the list. It's a lot of trial and error when it comes to this kind of list writing.

BaseNumbers

Momo's Minion
Are recording in strings something like [bang_beng_bing_bong_bung]? (I'm making this up)
I'm just confused at what the pros and cons are between recording separately or in strings.

I would say Vietnamese is most phonetically similar to Chinese in which there are no multisyllabic words (fa-mi-ly / per-son), rather, there are always an initial (CV / V) and a final (VC / VV) in a word and it could take one word to describe something (人 / người) or multiple (家庭 / gia đình)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hm well with English you have strings like [kAk kEk kIk kOk kU] but with Chinese you have separate samples of [ge] [ei] or [ma] [an]

Whatever you think works for Vietnamese, try it and see if it works. Like I said, trial and error. Maybe there might be other people interested? Doing a reclist with a couple other people to check and test things here and there can help.

BaseNumbers

Momo's Minion
Quick question,
Are these symbols * ^ - compatible with UTAU? I'm using them to represent
ă ・ a*
â ・ a^
đ ・ d-
ê ・ e^
ô ・ o^
ơ ・ o-
ư ・ u-
I know * isn't compatible with Windows but I'll replace it on the file name with '

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
If it helps, there's a Filipino reclist: http://utaforum.net/thread-tagalog-cvvc-vcv-reclist. Southeast Asian languages sound similar to each other.

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
whoo vietnamese!!!!!!!!!!! im so happy if you do this i always wanted to make one but cba (there is a few ccs like ng ny and nk but not many) please do well (im vietnamese so it would be awesome for me) are you vietnamese too? ^_^

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
i can help you with pronunciation if you want ill pm you and you can add me on skype ^_^

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
CVVC lists come in two types/styles of recordings
there are CVC recordings and CVCVC/CVCV recordings.
CVC style recordings are largely outdated/dpricated and should be avoided.
CVCVC style recordings are like "kakak".

CVCVC lists give users a starting CV (- CV), a bridging VC (V C), a bridging CV (CV) and an ending VC (VC).
bridging sounds are primarily used mid-phrase and are very important to the fluidity of a voice.

Of course both are still CVVC (we don't call banks CVCVC)

How you choose to format the CVVC (as long as all the components are still there) is totally up to you.

I'm not familiar with the language but a list will want to count for all the consonant and vowel combination in that language WITHOUT being excessive. So avoid any combinations that don't exist, it's not detrimental but will add extra bulk that you may not want.

looking at a list of Vietnamese consonants, you have CVCV, VCVC, and CVCVC style recordings.
so like the "ng" sound would be like
angang, engeng, etc. (VCVC) because it doesn't occurs at the start of words.
consonants like "ch" would be like
chacha, cheche, etc. (CVCV) because it only occurs at the start of words.
consonants like "m" would be like
mamam, memem, etc. (CVCVC) because it occurs as both a starting consonant and an ending consonants.

With exceptions of course, if in doubt then having everything as a CVCVC won't hurt....just be extra.

Last edited:

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
ok so there are 5 cc's
"ny"
"ng"
"tr"
and "kw" or "q"
and "wk" (backwards "q")

(treated as 1 phoneme there's no point separating them to "cc's")

8 end consonants
"k"
"m"
"n"
"ny"
"ng"
"p"
"t"
"ch"
(CVCVC for these)
(CVCV for non-final consanant phonemes)

there are lots of vowels that im not going to go through but i thought this might be helpful for you ^_^
(there may be more than these btw haha just off the top of my head i cant think of any words
that have different ones)

Last edited: