Does anyone know any good books/ resources on the composition of Rock music

-ZERO-

Momo's Minion
Nothing urgent, I just realised that in all of my time learning the basics of music composition I only know how to compose the basic piano + violin combo, and I would like to branch out a bit more.

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Most rock musicians don't learn their genre from books and lessons, but from direct experience with the music. I highly recommend making full band covers of songs, even if you're using virtual instruments for every member.

Learn how to read tab, then look up tabs for songs on websites like songsterr. When you recreate the songs yourself, you'll become familiar with how the songs are structured, the roles of each instrument. But you should also pay attention to how the instrument is physically played. For example
- Drummers have 4 limbs, so they can't play more than 4 sounds at a time
- The notes in a guitar chord depend on what you can actually reach with your fingers, and transitioning easily between chords
- The tuning of instruments makes certain keys easier to play

You can look up single instrument covers of the specific songs to see those things in action.

-ZERO-

Momo's Minion
Most rock musicians don't learn their genre from books and lessons, but from direct experience with the music. I highly recommend making full band covers of songs, even if you're using virtual instruments for every member.

Learn how to read tab, then look up tabs for songs on websites like songsterr. When you recreate the songs yourself, you'll become familiar with how the songs are structured, the roles of each instrument. But you should also pay attention to how the instrument is physically played. For example
- Drummers have 4 limbs, so they can't play more than 4 sounds at a time
- The notes in a guitar chord depend on what you can actually reach with your fingers, and transitioning easily between chords
- The tuning of instruments makes certain keys easier to play

You can look up single instrument covers of the specific songs to see those things in action.
Alright, I'll make sure to do that. I already studied a few midis that other people made of songs I like but I haven't considered trying to recreate a song myself. I never heard of tabs before tho, I'll be looking into it.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Reactions: Kiyoteru