Does anyone know how lisps affect pronunciation in Japanese?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I was wondering what it would be like if someone recorded a japanese bank with a lisp as a pronunciation quirk. Would that have the same effect as if it was done in English, or would that throw off pronunciation entirely?

Additionally in English, that would give the voice a stereotypically nerdy impression. Would it do the same in Japanese?

Thank you

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
In English lisps are noticeable because English distinguishes between the s sound and the th sound. Thus English speakers are keen to notice if one is replaced with the other. Japanese however does not distinguish the two since the th sound doesn't exist in Japanese, so it really doesn't matter.

In my time in Japan, I've met a handful of people, both male and female, who have lisps and as far as I could tell it didn't really affect them or how anyone understood them. As for how its culturally perceived, i can't answer since I'm not culturally Japanese and didn't live there for long enough. But I'm inclined to believe that it just isn't really a thing since Japanese doesn't distinguish the two sounds. i.e., I'm not even sure anyone would notice a lisp or even how much of a concept a lisp is.

Alessandra

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I was wondering what it would be like if someone recorded a japanese bank with a lisp as a pronunciation quirk. Would that have the same effect as if it was done in English, or would that throw off pronunciation entirely?

Additionally in English, that would give the voice a stereotypically nerdy impression. Would it do the same in Japanese?

Thank you
What's a lisp?

UtaUtaUtau

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I think it's fine cause Mendel Endou, a Japanese UTAU, has lisps. but idrk I'm not Japanese

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
depends on how bad the lisp is.
if its very light lisp it might not be that noticeable but you may still be able to hear it.
if its a heavy lisp then obviously you can hear it clearly. but i don't think it will affect meaning of the lyrics because for japanese I'm pretty sure no words really start with a th sound. some people might find it painful to listen to but probably still understandable

feloe

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
When i tried to be high pitch i created a bank with a lisp, without the recordings being 'lispy'...

the impression it gives is up to interpretation.
Also for reference - whilst i dont have a lisp, some people have said my voice sounds like i have a 'just had braces removed' kind of voice.