help with a screamo voicebank?

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
So, I've been trying to do a screamo voicebank forever now. Sorta like Hakaine Maiko. Yet, I'm having trouble. I always give my voice a natural vibrato while I'm trying to record the screamo sounds. It takes me forever to get a recording with the vibrato in it. My voice is reaaaaly soft, and that makes it a lot harder for me to just scream in the mic. Does anybody have any tips on a screamo voicebank?

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
(Ironically I just recorded two growl banks today)
I don't know what you mean by natural vibrato.

You should look up videos on how to do it, recording screamo/growl should be treated the dame way as performing it yourself should be.
Try to not push too hard while you do it. If it hurts, stop.

You say you have a soft voice, I assume you mean breathiness?

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
(Ironically I just recorded two growl banks today)
I don't know what you mean by natural vibrato.

You should look up videos on how to do it, recording screamo/growl should be treated the dame way as performing it yourself should be.
Try to not push too hard while you do it. If it hurts, stop.

You say you have a soft voice, I assume you mean breathiness?

When I say natural vibrato I mean like when your voice...Hmm...I can't really explain what it means, so I'll give a picture of what a synthesised vibrato would look like in UTAU. screenshot_Thu_Jun_11_17.58.45.png
That would be it, if you've ever used it before.

ah, that'd be helpful.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Pupperoni Pizza

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I know what vibrato is, I just didn't understand why you would need it for a screamo VB.

Well...videos tutorials range from garbage to crap....um...here is one I looked at before.
VIDEO LINK

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
I know what vibrato is, I just didn't understand why you would need it for a screamo VB.

Well...videos tutorials range from garbage to crap....um...here is one I looked at before.
VIDEO LINK

ah, my point with that is that I can't help but accidentally add vibrato when I'm recording the samples.

Ah, thanks for the link.

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Make sure that when you record, your screams are coming from the diaphragm as opposed to the throat! Good posture is key !! Really, the same rules for recording any kinds of vocals apply. Doubly so to maintain your throat health! If you have a limited space where you can't stand up, or even sit up straight, arching your back as straight as possible helps push out screams a little better/ more effortlessly. Take a good few breaths before each scream. If you need an extra oomph for the screams, try like... hmm the only way to describe the phenomenon is by like having your body /push/ out the scream? I noticed I sometimes had to lean forward to give my screams power/depth, if that makes sense?
Good old voice preparation techniques help, I can't stress enough, like the one that works very well for me is where you sing open vowels while arching your tongue so that the tip of your tongue is behind your bottom teeth and your tongue is almost touching the roof of your mouth. I can't find a video on that though :' ((
Make sure you place the mic/mic gain at a comfortable distance from you/setting so your samples don't clip either
As for vibrato... that's interesting, I feel like I have an idea what you're talking about but I'm having a hard time imagining how it'd be affecting screams that much ! It might just be good for the output.

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
Make sure that when you record, your screams are coming from the diaphragm as opposed to the throat! Good posture is key !! Really, the same rules for recording any kinds of vocals apply. Doubly so to maintain your throat health! If you have a limited space where you can't stand up, or even sit up straight, arching your back as straight as possible helps push out screams a little better/ more effortlessly. Take a good few breaths before each scream. If you need an extra oomph for the screams, try like... hmm the only way to describe the phenomenon is by like having your body /push/ out the scream? I noticed I sometimes had to lean forward to give my screams power/depth, if that makes sense?
Good old voice preparation techniques help, I can't stress enough, like the one that works very well for me is where you sing open vowels while arching your tongue so that the tip of your tongue is behind your bottom teeth and your tongue is almost touching the roof of your mouth. I can't find a video on that though :' ((
Make sure you place the mic/mic gain at a comfortable distance from you/setting so your samples don't clip either
As for vibrato... that's interesting, I feel like I have an idea what you're talking about but I'm having a hard time imagining how it'd be affecting screams that much ! It might just be good for the output.

ah! thank you very much for the numerous helpful tips!

P

partial

I'm thankful for the tips, too.

While this thread obviously wasn't meant for me, I've got a breathy, soft voice as well.

Reactions: Nanika

warm rootbeer

The Helpful Insomniac
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Remember to warm up your vocal chords before full on screaming/growling too. Do short growls, and then short screams. THEN record. Keep a glass of water near you, and if your throat/vocal chords start to hurt or like an itchy tingling sensation TAKE A BREAK. For like 20 minutes. You'll want to sing, but you'll also know when your voice needs a break. ALWAYS. TAKE. THAT BREAK.

If you don't you'll damage your vocal chords and lose your voice for a few days. Your diaphragm gets tired after a while and will lose vocal power as well, so your samples may sound progressively different if you don't take a break.. The most important thing is warming up and knowing when to take a break.

Reactions: Nanika