Help with making usts compatible with windows UTAU?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I use UTAU Synth, and I make usts, people using them on mac say they get super effed up when they plug them in to the point where they can't use them. Which is kinda disappointing since I want people to be able to cover the songs I make usts for.

I've been told that it's because UTAU Synth doesn't use rest notes and I have to add them manually, but I have no idea how rest notes work as I have zero experience with them. How do you make them/use them and what do they do?

Also, I've heard that even with rest notes it sometimes still gets messed up for windows users. Is there something else that may cause problems with the ust? and how do I avoid it?

Thank you in advance

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
A rest note is just a regular note, but with an R as the lyric. You can also use a lowercase R, which will prevent the note from disappearing when you reopen in UTAU-Synth. To find all the spots that have empty space, it's easiest to scroll through and watch the envelopes at the bottom. Make a long note (I usually do 1 measure maximum) and change the lyric. Saving in UST 1.2 will create lots of tiny rests where they shouldn't be, throwing the timing off, so save in UST 2.0. (If I got this mixed up... try the other way around.)
If you make your USTs by first doing MIDI, try distributing the midi with the UST. Sure, it won't have the lyrics and tuning, but all the notes will be in place.