How do I make a male utau?

Sorangel

Teto's Territory
Okay so I dont have a very deep voice whatsoever and I want to make a male utau but i dont know how to without it sounding like a girl. I want it to sound kinda like a teen but i cant really do that so what should i do?

☆彡иα∂ιѕ☆彡

Ash Ketchum
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hello again :creepy:but about your question, one way for girls or males with higher voices is to just simply lower your voice pitch naturally. It really isn't a good idea to go into audacity and just lower the pitch of your own voice their just doesn't sound right.... Lower your original/normal pitch depending on how masculine you want your utau to sound but not so much that it becomes muffled or unclear.

Second, another trick you can do is yawning while saying your character. For example when you say "Ka" while yawning, your voice can sound p different.

A great example of a male utau recorded by a female is Kai Kim

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
to make a male utau as a female:
be male or be able to make a non-deep voice with a boyish/male tone.
If you can't lower your voice comfortably then don't do it, as this can be very unhealthy.
You can do vocal exercises to train your voice and maybe eventually you'll be able to manage but don't count on anything...

Yawning when you record will make your voicebank sound derpy/dopey and probably will not be what you're going for. Unless you want it to sound like a Goofy impression.

Really it's just a mater of your practicing and gradually being able to get the tone. many people will not be able to do it so don't feel bad if you don't quite get what you want.

edit: do note that this advice kinda also works the other way around so I give similar advice to many people.

Reactions: Nohkara and Zoku

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You could use gender flags like Kai Kim does but if you can't get the voice you desire with that or voice acting then I wouldn't make a male bank. Also, lowering your voice in audacity probably will give an unappealing quality.

You could also to the Utaswap section here or DeviantArt and put up a request for a male bank if you want.

Reactions: Nohkara

VaNexuS

The Interstellar NexuS of Super Novas
Defender of Defoko
Well, a good way to get a good voice type going for your male is practice sounding as he(the utau you're trying to voice) would from your own voice--; I mean to practice an accent and tone that he would sound well with from your voice. Finding this voice takes practice with trial and error-- You can do it, but it just takes a bit of tweaking and messing with your natural voice- such as Nadis said-- Lowering your voice pitch naturally. I personally had to do this in the past, but my voice has matured over the years to where I only have to voice a certain tone/accent and it works-- but thats just-- how my voice grew.

---I actually.. don't think Kai Kim is a good example at all-- but ... @Kuku Klock (an example from her is Kurushimi) and I(I, myself have Xandre/Rei--) and there is @Halo 's UTAU Hayao-- I believe he is pretty great.. Though that is all my own opinion...

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Good way to be a male voice, like VaNex and Nadis said is literally practice. Like that's it. That's all. I mean, you miiiiight have the one type o voice that can be pitched down A LITTLE and it sounds like a boy AND it sounds good. For me, it started off as giving Kurayami a Dark append that didn't sound like her, and I gave that VB like 3 appends before i moved on to making a deeper voice. When making the deeper voice, yes my voice did the thing when it's like "nope" so took a break and did it again the next day and teh next day and the next day until i could do it with no problem. And lets not forget yer voice changing as you get older ( assuming yer younger than I am) Pubescent Kuku couldn't even start to male, 2014 was Kurushimi's first VB....and two years later.....*stares* um...he deeper. It literally just takes practice.

Charlie B

Teto's Territory
1. Gender flags
2. Try recording in a deeper tone of voice! You'll be surprised how it turns out. I thought while recording a lower pitch I still sounded girly, but after OTOing the voice sounded very masculine!
3. Pitching down your recordings in programs such as audacity

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
- DO NOT pitch your results down in audacity or any other voice editing methods. It won't sound natural. G-Flagging could work, but the best results for this method requires that the voice itself already be more or less androgynous. An androgynous voice and high quality source is your best bet (if your mic has a lot of self noise or a lot of treble, it won't be suitable to the task).
- If it hurts - if your lowest notes, even with consistent practice simply can't cut it - then don't do it. Getting a desired gender in UTAU isn't worth the health of your voice in the long run. If you really are 17, then chances are high that your voicetype is already determined by your physiological growth post puberty. You can't change the thickness of your vocal cords, so... make the best of what nature intended. Heck, you can even go the 'trap' route if you want the avatar/character to identify as and look like a male and just have a more feminine voice.

see:
Ritsu (voiced by a female)
Ruko female (the female voice has a female provider)
Ooka Miko [wolf form] (IDK if the wolf form and riding hood form use the same voicer; if they do, then one of them is probably voice acted)
Piko (voiced by a male with thinner vocal chords)
Len (voiced by a female, V4x sounds closer to the voice provider where as V2 and V2 append were more heavily edited)
Oliver (voiced by a 13 year old boy who was a male soprano)
Ryuto (voiced by a female, never intended to be natural sounding due to its origins as a cartoon for small children)
Ryone Yami (voiced by a female)
Kim Yuchul // GEMSeries Opal (this bank isn't well known, but the voice provider is female and it takes well to g-flagging)
Matsudappoiyo (came from a feminine source)
Nekomura Iroha (the voice provider has recently been revealed as a male in the transitional phase [originally born as a female])

A lot of these voices listed are well received to some degree despite their origins not being from a male source (or in Iroha's case, a naturally born male; in Piko and Oliver's cases: males with younger/thinner vocal chords). The voice providers in question simply did what they were capable of doing and didn't rely too heavily on sample alterations.

Last edited:

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
- DO NOT pitch your results down in audacity or any other voice editing methods. It won't sound natural. G-Flagging could work, but the best results for this method requires that the voice itself already be more or less androgynous. An androgynous voice and high quality source is your best bet (if your mic has a lot of self noise or a lot of treble, it won't be suitable to the task).
- If it hurts - if your lowest notes, even with consistent practice simply can't cut it - then don't do it. Getting a desired gender in UTAU isn't worth the health of your voice in the long run. If you really are 17, then chances are high that your voicetype is already determined by your physiological growth post puberty. You can't change the thickness of your vocal cords, so... make the best of what nature intended. Heck, you can even go the 'trap' route if you want the avatar/character to identify as and look like a male and just have a more feminine voice.

see:
Ritsu (voiced by a female)
Ruko female (the female voice has a female provider)
Ooka Miko [wolf form] (IDK if the wolf form and riding hood form use the same voicer; if they do, then one of them is probably voice acted)
Piko (voiced by a male with thinner vocal chords)
Len (voiced by a female, V4x sounds closer to the voice provider where as V2 and V2 append were more heavily edited)
Oliver (voiced by a 13 year old boy who was a male soprano)
Ryuto (voiced by a female, never intended to be natural sounding due to its origins as a cartoon for small children)
Ryone Yami (voiced by a female)
Kim Yuchul // GEMSeries Opal (this bank isn't well known, but the voice provider is female and it takes well to g-flagging)
Matsudappoiyo (came from a feminine source)
Nekomura Iroha (the voice provider has recently been revealed as a male in the transitional phase [originally born as a female])

A lot of these voices listed are well received to some degree despite their origins not being from a male source (or in Iroha's case, a naturally born male; in Piko and Oliver's cases: males with younger/thinner vocal chords). The voice providers in question simply did what they were capable of doing and didn't rely too heavily on sample alterations.

I kinda disagree with you saying "DO NOT pitch your results down in audacity..." It depends on Voice type and microphone quality on how "natural" the voice will sound. And lets not forget how well Pitch bends and resamplers can improve a Voicebank's render, sound and quality. Everything is literally dependant on the Voice type. G flags could also not sound natural. Again, its all dependent on Voice type. As for saying since they are 17 their voice type is basically set in stone is kinda a round about way, in my opinion, to tell them not to try and hit that low voice they were aiming for. I literally dub my 15-18 year old self's voice "pubescent Kuku" because I didn't give my Vocal cords enough of a "workout" to increase the range. And by workout I do indeed mean practice. Sure the first time might sound a lil bad and totally not what they were looking for, but if tehy follow yer advice and give up, they'll never get there. I mean, yes they can do their deepest voice, without running their throat through a lawnmower of course, and then use a light G flag, do pitch bend and resampler things, I do reccoment vs4u or Model4 for males or even freesamp/freesamp14.

as fer yer examples
Ruko female (the female voice has a female provider) *I wouldn't count this since Ruko has a male Voice provider for the MALE VB, which I'm sure the person was going for a MALE vb recorded by a FEMALE*
Ooka Miko [wolf form] (IDK if the wolf form and riding hood form use the same voicer; if they do, then one of them is probably voice acted) *Still a female but I think teh Wolf form is VAed as well and even then it sounds more like a mature female than a male.*
Piko (voiced by a male with thinner vocal chords) *Again, I'm sure the person was looking for MALE utau voiced by FEMALEs*
Oliver (voiced by a 13 year old boy who was a male soprano)*Again, I'm sure the person was looking for MALE utau voiced by FEMALEs*
Matsudappoiyo (came from a feminine source) *This one i dunno and I dun remember about so i can't say yah or nah*

I personally would have found more Female voiced male Utau on yer part if you wanted good examples. Half of what you gave were Vocaloids, whose voice providers most likely recorded in professional studios and their vocals are professionally mixed and stuff. Also putting 2 traps doesn't help the case really unless the Trap has a "male" Voice bank and teh voice provider is the same for both. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Truly

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you pitch your voice down in audacity, since UTAU is going to repitch your samples in the program anyway. since every UTAU has a range that it sounds good in, by pitching down the samples, you're not extending the range, you're just using a lower note in the range.

something you might try, though, is mimicking that sonic the hedgehog voice. not accurately-- think Arin Hanson's impression. you add a little bit of intensity and growl to the recording and you might just end up with a "teen" voice.

still, whatever range you work with them in, whatever flags you use, will go a long way toward making them sound male or female.

(but psst! a secret! if you're willing to spend a little time on your voice,)
practicing good singing technique and doing scales will help you stretch your voice. pitches normally out of your reach will be readily accessible if you sing from your diaphragm, seek to hit the spots with the best resonance, and make sure to use good vowels. and don't forget to open that mouth! your mouth is your megaphone! if you can drop the bottom of your pitch by, heck, even an octave, depending on where you start out, you'll want to rise up a few notes into a comfortable pitch and record there.
this sort of vocal stretching takes months, though, and you're going to have most effective success under the instruction of a vocal coach/singing instructor.

if you're looking for a quick fix, however,
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/11/13/masculine-voice/
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081212164701AAtN1WA

further, the "do a yawn" trick isn't so much for recording, as it is for getting your vocal cords in a position to record a more relaxed, lower voice.

my posts are so disjointed =__=

Sorangel

Teto's Territory
ty for helping me and all i could really do is make a young boy type voice put progress is progressXDD