How do I make an English Utau sing a single R-Sound?

Liiki

Momo's Minion
Hi!
I'm pretty new Utau, so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something or if there just is't a way to do that.
I'm using Lizett (CVVC) and I'm trying to make her sing the word 'hear'.

First I tried entering 'hi' and the second note 'ir', but there doesn't seem to be such a syllable as 'ir'. So I tried inserting 'yr', and 'er', but it all didn't work. I knew that if I'd just enter r, it would turn into a pause, a 'rest-note'.
So I decided to put in 'ra' or something like that, but make the note shorter (which it would be anyway) so the vocal would be cut off. It worked, but it sounded very choppy. I already tried applying 'ACPT' and 'P2P3', but it didn't change anything.
It sounds like 'hiiiii' and then the R sounds like if she's beginning to say the word 'run'. I guess that it's like this because it's CVVC, and since R is a consonant, the voicebank was recorded like if the Utauloid would start, not end the word. (Those of you who are more expierienced than me with Utau probably know all that already :smile:)

Is there another way doing that? Can I somehow turn off that if I type in 'r' or 'R' it turns into a 'rest-note'? Can I move it to a different key like 1 or something?

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
If it's a english cvvc reclist then I'd have to know which one you're using, but a lot of cvvc use [e r]
Looking her up she's a lite reclist, so it's a possibility that not all the sounds you need are there.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
If you're using CZ, then the correct notation would probably be [Er]. The problem is that CVVC and VCCV English from CZ don't have a distinguished rhotic sound which is separate from the actual r sound. The "errrr" r-vowel in CZ's phoneme system is [3].

Reactions: Nohkara

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Is there a reason that you absolutely must use an older voicebank like Lizett? You will have an easier time using a VCCV bank, since there are detailed tutorials.
Directory of VCCV banks
http://utaforum.net/threads/utau-vccv-voicebank-directory.10661/
Official tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzZkaoYVGHv0CpLpJ5j0M2U_t2eAiV_PA

Ideally, you could use an Arpasing bank instead, and not have to do as much work because of the word-to-phoneme plugin. However, there aren't really any completed banks released at the moment.

P

partial

Is there a reason that you absolutely must use an older voicebank like Lizett? You will have an easier time using a VCCV bank, since there are detailed tutorials.
Directory of VCCV banks
http://utaforum.net/threads/utau-vccv-voicebank-directory.10661/
Official tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzZkaoYVGHv0CpLpJ5j0M2U_t2eAiV_PA

Ideally, you could use an Arpasing bank instead, and not have to do as much work because of the word-to-phoneme plugin. However, there aren't really any completed banks released at the moment.
ayyy someone finds that directory useful at least ;v;

Liiki

Momo's Minion
Is there a reason that you absolutely must use an older voicebank like Lizett?
Not really, I'm not very familiar with all those types and everything. I just chose a voice I likd and started, and when I realized that she isn't...the easiest Utauloid to work with, I already had done the first verse and I don't really wanted to change the Utauloid because I'd had to remake all the lyrics.

I could still switch but... I'm not that kind of person that likes giving up something and just making it (almost) from scratch again.
Thanks for the link, if I'll decide to switch, I'll just look there. Or I'll just remake the song with a different Utauloid someday when I feel like it! :3

Try writing 3.
The "errrr" r-vowel in CZ's phoneme system is [3].
Thanks! It worked! :smile:

Reactions: Piia and partial

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Not really, I'm not very familiar with all those types and everything. I just chose a voice I likd and started, and when I realized that she isn't...the easiest Utauloid to work with, I already had done the first verse and I don't really wanted to change the Utauloid because I'd had to remake all the lyrics.

I could still switch but... I'm not that kind of person that likes giving up something and just making it (almost) from scratch again.
Thanks for the link, if I'll decide to switch, I'll just look there. Or I'll just remake the song with a different Utauloid someday when I feel like it! :3

Thanks! It worked! :smile:
No problem!

If the [3] solution worked, you will have no problem using VCCV voicebanks. Also, you won't get better if you use old techniques, if getting better is something you're looking for.

P

partial

Yeah, I also would recommend moving on to VCCV for English. I'm thankful to see UTAU English in any form but VCCV has tutorials on how to use it properly as well as a nice selection of banks to choose from. See the VCCV directory, linked in my signature.