How old were you when you found UTAU and Vocaloid?

Anderson26

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I know Vocaloid first in 10 years old.
When I started to use Youtube, I saw a video that's Hatsune Miku sing. I really exiting!
I go to know more about her. Then I download Vocaloid.
After using Vocaloid, in that time, I don't know what is Japanese. So I download Oliver with English vociebank and young voice.
I was bored after using vocaloid, it's sound so weird. I know I don't hate realistic voice but I feel that it too automaticially.
Hard to let it song Vietnamese, I give up.
One day, I surf Youtube and find Yuunari tutorial. I follow her point and it really interesting!
Manually, that's what I want. You need to do all of thing to get the best result!
Then I know you can use UTAU to make your own vociebank and I do my first vociebank.
And now after 2 years, I can use utau really well.
I'm 12 years old now :smile:

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
I was in middle school when I really got into and discovered Vocaloid and UTAU. It likely came off from looking at a whole bunch of Touhou stuff and finding Vocaloid stuff mixed in there. Back then I was a huge fan of the Macne banks haha. Alas, I couldn't make my first voicebank until high school because I didn't have a computer of my own.

Damien

Wannabe Worker
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
13, and now I am 14, but I've only been into utau for 7 months total. Similar with vocaloid.

OnegaiKudasai

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I knew about VOCALOID back when Ameba Pico had a promotion with Crypton :D I was 12

(I remember that the first song I heard was Secret ~Black Vow~ by Hitoshizuku-P... RIP Mikubook you'll be missed)

I can't remember when I stumbled upon UTAU though... Maybe a few months after that??

Crystalline

Teto's Territory
[Warning! This post may have some dumb things that I committed when I was younger.
Bear with me!]

When I first heard of Utau, it was during the time I was curious about Vocaloids.

I believe it was the year 2010? 2011?
Not sure.

What prompted me to research them was when I was interested in anime at the time.
I was researching on the web for any anime I can find that I could watch.

I found this character called Black Rock Shooter who was inspired by Miku Hatsune. Plus Miku's vocals were used for the character as well.

As I clicked the link for Hatsune Miku, Black Rock sure did look like her. XD

Anyway, I started learning about what Miku was and what she was about.
I found out there were more of her kind, and so begins my research of Vocaloid.

They were interesting in how lifelike and human they were for being androids.

However, I didn't listen to their songs and voices until a year later.

Before one year later, I learned about Teto Kasane and how she was the first Utau and Vocaloid.
Or first Utau to gain Vocaloid status.

I began to find out what Utau was.

I didn't know what freeware meant at the time, so I just assumed it was a competitor for Vocaloid.

Now a year later, in the year 2012, I began to listen to Vocaloid songs.

My first Vocaloid song was World Is Mine by Miku.
After that, it was Honey by Meiko Sakine.

This Meiko was a young teenager derivative of herself, and the song was a MMD music video.

It was at that point when watching that, I wanted to try MMD.

Silly little me for thinking that MMD is a program for making Vocaloid models sing when it wasn't like that.

But I enjoyed playing around with it, making the models move and dance.
I was in fact good with it, but not professionally good.

After that, I listened to more Vocaloid songs, plus Utau songs.

I listened to Cantarella covers and English covers of songs used by Vocaloids and Utau.

I also listened to Vocaloids and Utauloids singing Phantom of the Opera in English. A lot of them.
Heh. I was in a Phantom of the Opera fan craze phase.

At this point, I REALLY wanted a Vocaloid program that sings.
But I found out that Vocaloid is expensive as it is shipped from Japan, and the shipping costs. :sad:

I know there was a 50% or something sale on Engloids, as I loved the Engloids more than the Vocaloids, but I never ended up buying them. ;-; ;-;

I ended up trying UTAU as it was the only option I had, plus it was free.

I confess I wanted to try Polkaloid.
But thank God and my computer that I ended up abandoning that idea.
My computer refused to download it, and I quickly heard how illegal it was.

Well, Utau wasn't so bad as I thought it was.
But I was not creating a Utauloid.
I was enjoying making Teto Kasane and Momo Momone sing.

Even to this day, I still can't figure out how to make Defoko sing! XD

I learned how to use UTAU by myself by finding out how to download and where.
But the hands-on experience I learned is by changing the locale to Japanese on my computer.

This allowed me to mess and play around with the controls while I made Teto and Momo sing.

Lesson I learned?

Tutorials are helpful.
While it's good if you want to teach yourself how to use Utau for making the default Utauloids you have to sing, don't be afraid to learn a few tips from people.

Especially since any new member can have a chance now, since I don't think there were tutorials on how to make an original Utauloid when I first started out. ( At least, not that I knew of.)

There are even people who are veterans in using this program, so don't be afraid to ask.
This forum is a great place to get tips and tricks.

I'm already in the process of making a few Utauloids of my own. :smile:

It's slow and steady, but it's so fun and creative since you're giving life to a vocal synthesizer of your own.

Not like those blank slate Vocaloids we all know and love, huh? :wink:

Last edited:

SparkyPsychc

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Lets see...
Vocaloid at around 9
and Utau at around 10.
Strange, because the first vocaloid song i heard was iNSaNiTY and i liked it.
I only have the chance to got back at utau just recently tho.

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
I confess I wanted to try Polkaloid.
But thank God and my computer that I ended up abandoning that idea.
My computer refused to download it, and I quickly heard how illegal it was.
I confess, I actually used Polkaloid even after knowing how illegal it was. After a while though(fortunately), the guilt of piracy crept up on me and I uninstalled it and the voicebanks. I never used it again.

feloe

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I remember for ages i was trying to find the name for Hatsune Miku. I finally learned what vocaloid was through the "elders react" at age 11. I found Utau not long afterwards and downloaded it. Anyway my parents deleted utau bc they thought it was a virus . Ive come back to using utau at 15, and im now 16...

Its a shame i dont have as much experience ad i could have, but slowly and surely i suppose? :bigtears:

OnegaiKudasai

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Uhh... I probably was 11 years old by that time... I had to look at the time when Mikubook was launched since that's where I first listened to those classic Vocaloid songs from that time ohohoho
I think I first discovered and tried UTAU when I was 12?? The first UTAU I installed was Teto's, but I wasn't that interested in doing stuff with it by that time because back then I was obsessed with MMD (but I never posted anything about it 'cause I was unaware of the process of exporting)

Reactions: Kiyoteru

zinfandel

Teto's Territory
Supporter
I was about 13. I pretty much found out about it all in 1 day by YT searching Baka, and then found Triple Baka.

rmL

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I was 15 when I stumbled upon a random Vocaloid concert video. So yeah, the part about vocal synthesis interested me so I stayed. I think found out about UTAU a few months after and eventually started creating my own UTUAloid by then.

Ritsu_is_a_boy

Momo's Minion
I found out when I was 11 that I was trying to be popular with the girls in my class, so I started researching kpop, in those researches I found the song 'tokyo teddy bear', in the end I liked vocaloid more than kpop hahaha(sorry for my English)

cloudyyskie

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'm pretty sure I first heard a vocaloid song when i was about 10, however I didn't really know what it was, or that it was even sang by a computer, I just liked it haha
I feel like I've known about Miku for longer, though i don't think i knew what she was from.
As for UTAU, I really didn't find out about about it until i got into the vocaloid fandom when i was about 12. It all happened within a span of a few months due to a friend of mine who's a miku stan haha
after i found out about UTAU i listened to the covers and i was HOOKED. I didn't download it long after and now i'm here, making covers with computers, and even my own voicebank :DD

in short, i was 12

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycoris

Lycoris

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I got into Vocaloid when I was 13, and UTAU when I was 18. I had a strong bias against UTAU for a while because it seemed unprofessional and unpolished. Now that's exactly what I like about UTAU :D

FlowerPalette

Teto's Territory
I was VERY little! i was looking on youtube for Robots and stuff.. i thought they were weird and i wanted to see if they are realistic..
and i clicked in a Singing Hatsune Miku Robot video that sang Melt and Word is Mine... I FELL IN LOVE. like it was the most blowing mind thing i had heard/experience..
Its so weird but i didn't have any favorite music genre and when i found out the VOCALOID/UTAU genre i knew this is for me... i am 23 y.o and i still hear the very old songs with pleasure!!

KrimsonDCLXVI

Momo's Minion
I discovered Vocaloid around 10 years ago, Utau about 5 years ago, SynthV about 1-3 years ago, Sinsy and CeVIO last month, and Neutrino today though I have actually started using a few of these voice synth programs last month. I gave up on SynthV because I got too frustrated with it on my first day but I did stick with Utau until now and I'm still using it. Can't use vocaloid for two reasons:

1) I'm either homeless or have unstable housing most of the time so I can't afford to pay $100+ for a voice synthesizer at the moment
2) None of the voices really suit my tastes or have the correct abilities I want for the specific music genres I work with. I mostly do death metal and crust punk and pretty much all of the vocaloids I've heard have terrible screams that sound more like forced whispers (which companies like Crypton should work on) and the only vbs who have satisfied my requirements were both UTAUs Hakaine Maiko and Salem's KATSU Postmortem vb. If Crypton and other companies decide to fix this issue with the scream quality I could consider it in the future (if I could afford it of course).

Last edited:

constellasphere

Momo's Minion
I was about 12 when I first found out about vocaloid, specifically Miku. I remember walking up to my sister who was watching some clips of a vocaloid concert on the computer my family had in the dining room. The very first song I ever heard was "Alice" (Furukawa-P), and that song has always stuck with me through the years.

Shortly after I found the Cryptonloids, then I found Oliver while searching for the song Alice again, and so on and so forth.

I forget how I specifically found UTAU, but I know that I still didn't know much specifically about the programs themselves, just that the singers weren't real. I want to say I found Defoko first and UTAU is what showed me how the programs actually worked.

It took me a while to actually be able to download any of the programs though, as my first laptop was a chromebook. But I remember, it was December 2017 when I received Oliver and the V4 editor as a gift from my sister.

Ever since 2017, I've been using all kinds of Vocal Synths. It's been one of the most amazing experiences of my life uwu

Reactions: KrimsonDCLXVI