Vocaloid How to give English Voicebanks that don’t have the 4 phoneme clear Japanese pronunciation

Discussion in 'Singing Robots General' started by Masuna, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    I was fiddling around in vocaloid mobile and found a new way to emulate Japanese pronunciation with an English voice. A lot of people say to use the [l0] phoneme at a high consonant velocity to simulate a Japanese r, but even then, an American accent shines through. I’ve found that doing this can give an even more percussive simulation of the 4 phoneme (this was done in the Vocaloid Mobile Editor, so the interface may look a bit foreign haha). 29B3C417-EFCD-4957-A0AF-87CA7BF8EC79.jpeg in the short phrase “から”, I was able to get the ら sound by using a 16th [-] note before it, shortening the [d V] (or ra) note to a 32nd, and filling the rest of the space the note would fill with another [-] note.

But I’m not just going to be talking about emulating the 4 phoneme

Traditionally, Japanese t’s are much softer than English t’s, and we’d use the same method of shortening the [d] phoneme as pictured above to soften it up

Note: I’ve also found the @ phoneme to be a good replacement for a Japanese “o” (occasionally using @U based on the context of the @ note in use)

With a bit of finagling, your English voice could be singing mildly accurate Japanese in no time!

Another note: this method is recommended for Voicebanks with shallow u: phonemes (I.e. sonika, cyber diva, daina). Voices with a more heavyhanded u: (like Fukase English) may sound clunky

Here’s a cover I made using this method with cyber diva! (Sorry the mixing isn’t too great haha)

Have fun!

Damien likes this.
    6_Jpop CDJapan
  3. Damien

Damien Wannabe Worker Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Woo

Masuna likes this.
  4. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    Update: use the @ phoneme for a replacemt for o only for cyber diva, any other voice will use the O: phoneme as replacement

5. _caustic_

_caustic_ Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Some english banks have a "4" phoneme just an fyi.

Masuna likes this.
  6. Masuna

Masuna Momo's Minion

Trophy Points
    yup! this post is about English voices that were before the era of the English 4 phoneme c:

7. katli10

katli10 Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Wow, this is awesome! When I was trying to make CYVA sing in Japanese I had issues with the R's and the T's, but this works perfectly! Thank you.

Masuna likes this.