Important Announcement on Redistribution of UTAU Materials

In light of recent events, Yue and I thought a heads-up post might be necessary.

I will reiterate. M4 IS NOT WORTH IT.

The M4 engine is an extremely unstable beta. I am not saying this just to discourage people from wanting it, I'm saying it because it's true. It has actually been abandoned by Ameya. It is defunct. It's about the same as TIPS in quality.

It is NOT worth the risk to the international relations of the overseas UTAU community to redistribute the M4 engine.

Greentea, a very generous Japanese user on the older UTAforum, contacted a few members including myself inviting us to the SNS with only a few conditions:

1. Be 18 or older
2. Don't redistribute materials from the site
3. Don't cause drama

The age limit isn't even Ameya's fault. The UTAU SNS is hosted on one of those "make your own social network" sites, and the WHOLE SITE has an age limit of 18.

Yes, M4 is a closed beta. Yes, it is a dead resampler. No, it is not a game-changing amazing UTAU engine. But YES, IT IS BAD TO REDISTRIBUTE IT.

Redistributing M4 shows a severe lack of respect for the CREATOR of the UTAU software. It is a slap in the face to the original UTAU fandom. Not to mention is incriminating for Greentea, Yue, me and any other users who were initially invited to UTAU-hibi.

Now, back to aforementioned "recent events."

Everyone involved in a specific Facebook thread called "Special UTAU Materials" who posted illegal content: there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to redistribute M4... but there is EVEN LESS NEED to reupload-and-redistribute resamplers, patchers and converters that are FREELY and EASILY available to link back from external sites. So no excuses, either.

VocaloidBrasil Article: More info here.