Music Composition

Illisandria Carthain

Momo's Minion
So I'm trying to compose a few songs and I was wondering if any of you composers out there had any advice for me. But a bit of background first:
I have been playing music for nine years now (and writing lyrics for even longer) and am sufficient at reading music. I understand what makes a good song, I can even write out simple tunes, but am completely incompetent at writing multi-layered music with lyrics.

Now what I'd like some help with is this: how do you make the tune in your head fix the lyrics with the music (or vice versa?)

:smile: Thank you for your time!

faerimagic

Ruko's Ruffians
(Sorry if this doesn't help...)

I guess, I make the lyrics first, with the tune, while imagining the piano, because for me, a piano is easiest to imagine despite the fact that I don't play it.
After recording that down, I input that into a program or software (I use MuseScore) and then listen to everything.
And then I would add any extras that I felt that should be added.

Of course, this is mostly theory. I haven't reached a final stage yet...

Did I answer your question? Sorry if I didn't... ;_;

Illisandria Carthain

Momo's Minion
faerimagic link said:
(Sorry if this doesn't help...)

I guess, I make the lyrics first, with the tune, while imagining the piano, because for me, a piano is easiest to imagine despite the fact that I don't play it.
After recording that down, I input that into a program or software (I use MuseScore) and then listen to everything.
And then I would add any extras that I felt that should be added.

Of course, this is mostly theory. I haven't reached a final stage yet...

Did I answer your question? Sorry if I didn't... ;_;
*hugs* someone responded! *hugs again*

Thanks! That does help, believe it or not. Plus knowing I'm not the only one who uses MuseScore out there makes me feel good too..

And theory is as good, better than no answer at all.

LupinAKAFlashTH

DEX's Voice Provider. Woah.
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Most people write a melody first, then the instrumental, then write lyrics, changing up the rhythm of the melody if needed.
It gets harder to explain as it goes on.
Other people write lyrics then come up with a melody, which works too, except you need a better concept of things to put them together, as if your melody doesn't fit the rest of the music you need to change it.

princess-laughter

Momo's Minion
:uhm: :-_-: i would help but my songs are all emo. and violent... *clears throat* well... the tune should be what i call "flexible." first  think of a simplified version of what you want it to be. this way it can be easily adjusted to fit your lyrics. or if something just doesnt sound right, maybe there is another more effective way to say it in your song.  :annoyed: sorry, i talk in circles sometimes. hope i was at least some help.

Illisandria Carthain

Momo's Minion
LupinAKAFlashTH link said:
Most people write a melody first, then the instrumental, then write lyrics, changing up the rhythm of the melody if needed.
It gets harder to explain as it goes on.
Other people write lyrics then come up with a melody, which works too, except you need a better concept of things to put them together, as if your melody doesn't fit the rest of the music you need to change it.

Hm...that's one way of doing it...*nods* thanks :smile: