My friends UTAU's name and design..

UTAUBeginner:D

Teto's Territory
F-First off.. Yes . I know this isnt the correct place for this.(at least, i dont think..) Anyways.. her UTAUs name is 花子猫 (i believe it means Flower Kitten?)
Here are 5 designs for her.. She aske me to make 3, and she also asked me to get some advise..
Anyways.. here are her pictures(i made a collage thing with them on there..Idid use bases.. Sorry..OH and her extra pictures are just her clothing, cause the first one is everything, but i just dont know which clothing also, she has a tail..but i cant draw..so yeah..ha..)

IrisFlower

Precious Flower with Thorns
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So this is your friends UTAU correct? Well...I can try and give you my two cents;;

Name Critique
Well, just a tad heads up that as far as names go I don't think people are going to recieve an UTAU named Hana Koneko very well. Usually if your UTAU is named something that any regular fangirl with very little knowledge of the Japanese language will know, it comes off as a tad weabooish. Just because UTAU is a Japanese program, and your UTAU will probably be singing in Japanese, doesn't mean they need a Japanese name, ya know? Even if you're deadset on a Japanese name, stray away from things like kawaii, sugoi, neko, inu, koinu/koneko, kokoro, names that end in -ne like the VOCALOIDS, etc.

I would suggest, however, exploring other languages and think about what you want your name to mean, if it should mean something. And I also wouldn't advice you string together random words cause you could end up with funky meanings. If the name isn't supposed to mean anything then consider using actual names from different cultures.

Design Critique

I'm a little confused here;; I don't know which one I'm supposed to be critiquing so I'll just look at all three.

Color Scheme

Well as far as colors go I think you could do a wee bit better. Starting with the first one. Orange and purple do in fact go pretty nicely together as long as you're using the right hues. But that lime-green yellow and black are throwing things off. So is that green actually. When coming up with a nice color scheme I would start with three colors that match each other and then go from there. Most color schemes I've seen have apprx. 3-8 hues that go together unless they've chosen black, gray, and another color or something.

For a color scheme I'd suggest orange, purple, red-orange, and a red-violet...like a burgundy color. For hair color maybe a nice brown. Not too dark though. A soft brown. If you want mutli-colored hair maybe give her burgundy highlights.

As for the second design...since there are only two colors, I would make her shirt more yellow. That lime-green is kind of putting me off. The third one however I think is actually nice color wise. Maybe make the purple a little more blue but otherwise it's pretty good.

Outfit

Now getting to the actual outfits. For the first one I have no idea what's going on there;; I think I understand she has purple leggings/stockings with orange heels. But I don't understand what's on her knee. Her...skirt?...is also a little weird. You should try and come up with what type of skirt that is. Is it like a sailor-fuku skirt? A long skirt? Is it frilly or more straight? What kind of material is it made out of? For her top, I'm still quite unsure as to what's going on up there. It looks like a vest with a pink undershirt and black straps.

Going back to color, I would change those straps to orange to match the rest of the top. Her hair is what throws everything off. It looks like it's supposed to be orange, lime-green, and black. But that goes back to color scheme and those colors don't really work well together imo. I would make it either orange or brown honestly.

The second design is very plain. Not saying plain is bad but you don't want your UTAU to be so simple she doesn't stick out or anything. I'd consider giving her maybe a frilly top and maybe capri pants with some sneakers. The third design seems a little more interesting. It gives me a space-lady kinda feel. I would add maybe some gloves and see through stockings to give it some more. I'd also make the skirt have like buttons or something on it...give it that technology feel, ya know?

Overall/tl;dr

I would say this UTAU needs a lot of work in terms of design and name. If you're dead-set on the name go ahead I mean don't let me stop you(or your friend I guess)but when designing characters, try to think of their personality and what kind of clothes they'd wear if they were say, an angry teen who hates the world. Or a happy little girl who loves everything! What kinds of things would an independent woman who don't need no man wear? That was a joke but hopefully you get my point.

That also ties into what kind of colors they'd wear. Shy and reserved characters are more likely to wear darker shades like black and gray, browns and more neutrals so that they bring less attention to themselves whereas characters  who are extremely happy, outgoing, and like making friends, are going to wear brighter hues like yellows, pinks, warm greens, and oranges. Children also have different styles compared to teens and adults.

If art is a problem there are plenty of people here in the forums who would be willing to help you. I'm sure there are even people willing to design for you now that I think about it;; I hope I was able to help you/your friend in some way.

UTAUBeginner:D

Teto's Territory
IrisFlower link said:
So this is your friends UTAU correct? Well...I can try and give you my two cents;;

Name Critique
Well, just a tad heads up that as far as names go I don't think people are going to recieve an UTAU named Hana Koneko very well. Usually if your UTAU is named something that any regular fangirl with very little knowledge of the Japanese language will know, it comes off as a tad weabooish. Just because UTAU is a Japanese program, and your UTAU will probably be singing in Japanese, doesn't mean they need a Japanese name, ya know? Even if you're deadset on a Japanese name, stray away from things like kawaii, sugoi, neko, inu, koinu/koneko, kokoro, names that end in -ne like the VOCALOIDS, etc.

I would suggest, however, exploring other languages and think about what you want your name to mean, if it should mean something. And I also wouldn't advice you string together random words cause you could end up with funky meanings. If the name isn't supposed to mean anything then consider using actual names from different cultures.

Design Critique

I'm a little confused here;; I don't know which one I'm supposed to be critiquing so I'll just look at all three.

Color Scheme

Well as far as colors go I think you could do a wee bit better. Starting with the first one. Orange and purple do in fact go pretty nicely together as long as you're using the right hues. But that lime-green yellow and black are throwing things off. So is that green actually. When coming up with a nice color scheme I would start with three colors that match each other and then go from there. Most color schemes I've seen have apprx. 3-8 hues that go together unless they've chosen black, gray, and another color or something.

For a color scheme I'd suggest orange, purple, red-orange, and a red-violet...like a burgundy color. For hair color maybe a nice brown. Not too dark though. A soft brown. If you want mutli-colored hair maybe give her burgundy highlights.

As for the second design...since there are only two colors, I would make her shirt more yellow. That lime-green is kind of putting me off. The third one however I think is actually nice color wise. Maybe make the purple a little more blue but otherwise it's pretty good.

Outfit

Now getting to the actual outfits. For the first one I have no idea what's going on there;; I think I understand she has purple leggings/stockings with orange heels. But I don't understand what's on her knee. Her...skirt?...is also a little weird. You should try and come up with what type of skirt that is. Is it like a sailor-fuku skirt? A long skirt? Is it frilly or more straight? What kind of material is it made out of? For her top, I'm still quite unsure as to what's going on up there. It looks like a vest with a pink undershirt and black straps.

Going back to color, I would change those straps to orange to match the rest of the top. Her hair is what throws everything off. It looks like it's supposed to be orange, lime-green, and black. But that goes back to color scheme and those colors don't really work well together imo. I would make it either orange or brown honestly.

The second design is very plain. Not saying plain is bad but you don't want your UTAU to be so simple she doesn't stick out or anything. I'd consider giving her maybe a frilly top and maybe capri pants with some sneakers. The third design seems a little more interesting. It gives me a space-lady kinda feel. I would add maybe some gloves and see through stockings to give it some more. I'd also make the skirt have like buttons or something on it...give it that technology feel, ya know?

Overall/tl;dr

I would say this UTAU needs a lot of work in terms of design and name. If you're dead-set on the name go ahead I mean don't let me stop you(or your friend I guess)but when designing characters, try to think of their personality and what kind of clothes they'd wear if they were say, an angry teen who hates the world. Or a happy little girl who loves everything! What kinds of things would an independent woman who don't need no man wear? That was a joke but hopefully you get my point.

That also ties into what kind of colors they'd wear. Shy and reserved characters are more likely to wear darker shades like black and gray, browns and more neutrals so that they bring less attention to themselves whereas characters  who are extremely happy, outgoing, and like making friends, are going to wear brighter hues like yellows, pinks, warm greens, and oranges. Children also have different styles compared to teens and adults.

If art is a problem there are plenty of people here in the forums who would be willing to help you. I'm sure there are even people willing to design for you now that I think about it;; I hope I was able to help you/your friend in some way.

I know with her name being different, she picked it out, and told me the colours. I aid i'd help her record and stuff, bt she choe p everything else. I know she seems unoriginal or something..I told her that she seemed a bit like that. She told me she ikes her the way she is.