Need help with soundproofing

UTAUKimi-Yamamoto

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
So I just recorded my UTAU's append dark VB and while playing my samples back I discovered my mic picked up bird chirping from outside. -_-; I had my windows shut but you can still hear them. Ugh, that's the bad thing about recording during Spring.

What I need to know is what are some good, preferably cheap methods for soundproofing?

Reactions: FeatheredFinch

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hi,

Sound proofing can be a very difficult and expensive task, it takes a lot of dense material to absorb/block sound.

I personally spent quite a bit to make my recording booth/room.

Your best bet would be to make sure all your windows are closed, curtains shut, and to place something in front of them like dense pillows somehow.
Also if you are recording in a bedroom you should try flipping your mattress over so it surrounds you when recording.

If you have a large enough closet then you can try to cram stuff in there but it often can make matters much worse amd cause your recordings to become boxy and boomy.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The recording space info in that video is the very common misconception that is spread around.

No, a recording box with bed foam is not going to block sound from getting to your mic. It's far too thin and in no way dense enough.

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The recording space info in that video is the very common misconception that is spread around.

No, a recording box with bed foam is not going to block sound from getting to your mic. It's far too thin and in no way dense enough.
soundproofing foam is what Myst used I think, CZ used blankets and it worked and it pretty much worked for me, you don't need a legit recording studio just for utau in my opinion or it'd probably be cheaper to just book a session in a legit recording studio to record which I've known someone who did awhile back

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I didn't say you needed a recording studio.

Very thick blankets can work if you have a lot of them but soundproofing foam does not block sound, it is not meant to.

Soundproof foam may reduce high frequency reflections from bouncing around the room but if you are trying to use it to block external sound then you won't get good results.

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I didn't say you needed a recording studio.

Very thick blankets can work if you have a lot of them but soundproofing foam does not block sound, it is not meant to.

Soundproof foam may reduce high frequency reflections from bouncing around the room but if you are trying to use it to block external sound then you won't get good results.
That's true, I'm mostly going off blocking echos and such, since outside noise is very hard to get around, even Aki who voices Daina had to work around her household schedule as she said in her livestream