Opinion on editing samples to achieve a certain voice quality?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
I don't mean like, removing background noise with audacity or anything. I mean like, lowering your samples to sound masculine, adding special effects to get like, a metallic voice or whatever- you know what I mean I hope;

I've heard a lot of people say it makes your Utau "fake" or artificial or that it's cheating (which seems kind of nonsensical, since they are synthesized voices after all) and if you can't voice act the voice you want you shouldn't and it'll probably sound sucky.

(I haven't done it but I personally don't see why not, since you can edit the voice with gender flags and mixing effects anyway.

It usually sounds unnatural but if it is what the creator would like them to sound like then why not)

CarrotBunz

Trash
Defender of Defoko
I don't mean like, removing background noise with audacity or anything. I mean like, lowering your samples to sound masculine, adding special effects to get like, a metallic voice or whatever- you know what I mean I hope;

I've heard a lot of people say it makes your Utau "fake" or artificial or that it's cheating (which seems kind of nonsensical, since they are synthesized voices after all) and if you can't voice act the voice you want you shouldn't and it'll probably sound sucky.

(I haven't done it but I personally don't see why not, since you can edit the voice with gender flags and mixing effects anyway.

It usually sounds unnatural but if it is what the creator would like them to sound like then why not)
I don't really mind I mean my samples already sound a bit robotic and I don't edit them = = it depends like if the creator can't record anymore or can't do a certain thing for the voicebank to be what they want i don't see why not

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
When done right, pitching in small amounts can help really change how the vocal sounds. Say you want a more adult sounding voice, but you feel like your voice is just slightly too young to really give that mature feel. I normally just start with -0.60 or -0.75 semitones and then if it still isn't right add a little more in smaller amounts. It's not really cheating since you can do similar stuff with the g flags and no one seems to mind and, again, these voices technically are artificial. You can do what you want with them to make them sound however you like in or outside of the program, but be prepared to take criticism if it sounds not so good.

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
im completely ok with it and i dont see how its cheating bc you can get some similar effects with certain flags

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
In terms of pitching, you'll want to be careful, since it's easy to make it sound unnatural.
As for other special effects, I think they're a lot better suited for when you're mixing.