(Pictures included) How do I avoid vocal plateaus? (I don't know what they are really called)

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
I'm thinking about redo-ing my Utau's Normal and Shout voicebanks. Is there a way I can avoid these "vocal plateaus"? (I have no idea what they are really called). These plateaus make the clips sound scratchy. I've even tried editing the frequency map, but most of the time, it makes the clips sound worse.vocalplateaus1.PNG vocalplateaus2.PNG

Skiyoshi 十三

Lotus#12915
Defender of Defoko
Sometimes it could also be the mic, I remember using a built in desktop mic and it made FRQ files like that. I recommend acquiring speedwagon to generate your FRQs, it does a better job in my experiences with it. Here's a link to the download. https://www.axfc.net/u/2750057

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
Is Speedwagon a plug-in? I tried putting it in the plugin folder, re-initialized the FRQ one of the samples in question, and I still have those plateaus.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The orange line is indeed an overlay of the FRQ. How do you usually edit FRQs? You should be making them into a single straight line, ideally by using the multiply/divide tools instead of hand-drawing.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Resampler is known to be bad at generating FRQs and doing this a lot.
You can generate your frq files with an older version of resampler which would do this less often.

On the Utau download site you can download the v0.2.76 ZIP and get the resampler.exe from that.
Rename it to Resampler10 so you don't accidentally replace the newer version.

Now here is a gif on what to do next so I don't have to type!
Hfn42WZ.gif

Be sure to click the empty space between "Edit freq. map" and "Initialize freq. map".

Once it's finished you should be all set!

NipahIsLife

Teto's Territory
Resampler is known to be bad at generating FRQs and doing this a lot.
You can generate your frq files with an older version of resampler which would do this less often.

On the Utau download site you can download the v0.2.76 ZIP and get the resampler.exe from that.
Rename it to Resampler10 so you don't accidentally replace the newer version.

Now here is a gif on what to do next so I don't have to type!
Hfn42WZ.gif

Be sure to click the empty space between "Edit freq. map" and "Initialize freq. map".

Once it's finished you should be all set!
Hey, thanks for the help. The resampler made my clips not scratchy :smile:

Reactions: partial