Possible commissions for UTAU demo songs?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm thinking of adding another option to my music commissions for the UTAU community specifically, to write demo songs for voicebank releases. I get that most people wouldn't be able to afford (or aren't willing to) commissioning me normally with my hourly rate, which can make the end total quite high considering the amount of time I typically spend writing a song. So, the idea here is that it'll be a cheap fixed (minimum) price, and that I'll work on them quickly.
I haven't fully worked out all the conditions of these commissions yet, though I know that I only want to have lyrics match the intended language of the voicebank.

Would anyone be interested in commissioning demo songs for their voicebanks?
What should the minimum price be? I plan to let people pay what they want.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think price could depend on the time of the song (1 minute? 2? 3-4?) and if there's multiple voices (extensions beyond the core bank).

Somewhere between $20-40 would be relatively easy on the average utau user's wallet. For users that have something other than English as their language, they'll have to pay extra for Konglish, Engrish, etc. or provide their own translations in the target language (ofc, with disclaimer that you're not responsible for corrections. Get google translate lyrics? That's the lyrics you'll work with, no matter how wrong they are - i know the intention is to showcase the voice in it's proper language, but a lot of people release Japanese banks).

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I would take in mind (is this expression correct?) time of the song and how complicate it is: if it is just 3 instruments, just some beats, or a full of instruments+SFX song. Suyeon also cited language, and I also think there should be a little extra as well, unless the comissioner provide lyrics/make the UST work him/herself. I agree, something between 20 and 40 USD is a nice price.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For your music, I'd say at least 40 USD by now; you've improved quite a bit over the years. Also depends on the average amount of time to write a song and the length of the song; a 1 minute song might be finished within a day, that'd cost about $40, a 3 minute song that took longer might cost $100 or something.
Idk I think for your music your price range should be 40~100USD min/max, if you do up front prices.

Reactions: Milk and Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
From the suggestions I've collected so far (this thread and from other friends), the average comes out to $20 as the minimum price.

Just want to clarify as well that this is going to be pay-what-you-want, therefore, anything above the minimum price is entirely the commissioner's choice. When it comes to language, I don't want to do anything like making Korean or Japanese banks sing in English- I believe that a demo must showcase the languages that the voicebank is MEANT for. Therefore, I would only accept banks that are made for English/Esperanto, or include extra samples geared specifically towards English/Esperanto. (People will often add spanish/etc. and say that it's Esperanto-compatible, but that's not specific enough).
I don't really want to overcomplicate this and make extra charges based on song length, musical complexity, number of voicebanks included, etc. Perhaps it'll just be a single voicebank demo, unless it's something like a super-whispery addon bank that only sounds good as extra samples to combine with the regular soft bank. Then both of those would be counted.