Question about mic sensitivity?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
So I have a CADu37 and mine seems kind of sensitive to sound. I usually use it like a foot away from me, and I've tried using it with the -10 setting and stuff, but my voice still comes out pretty damaged unless I:

A. Record quietly
or
B. Stand really far away from the mic or face it backwards.

The last two of course ruin the quality and kind of defeat the purpose of getting a mic, and it's kind of an issue when I try to record power banks.

My question regards to this: I can't use Audacity to record because I have to use a Chromebook but I always assumed that there was something people could do on Audacity to lessen the mic's intake? Something about lowering the mic's volume?

I would like to know if it's a matter of the equipment I have or if I'm using my mic incorrectly (or if it's broken)

This is the first time I've owned a mic and I'm really confused about whether I'm using it correctly. I usually record in a closet if that's important.

So if it has to do with the equipment then I can try and find a way to use a different computer.

riptunes

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
Are you on windows? If so you should try to see the microphone settings (the default windows one) and there should be a checkbox somewhere that says AGC. Turn that off and it should be better. I actually lent my mic to a friend so I can't show you myself right now but I hope that helps

edit: OH a chromebook, unfortunately I don't know anything to help with that since I've never used one :c