Quick question on 'hu' & 'fu'

Corben69Max

Teto's Territory
Ok so going over a few vcv' I've been studying over, I noticed that the 'hu' & 'fu' have the same hiragana, is that right? I had assumed that if the words 'hu' & 'fu' would be listed seperate in a reclist then there would be two different hiragana for them. Is this just a mistake of the owner of the vcv' I'm using or is this right?

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
Technically yes—hu and fu are phonetically the same in Japanese, so occasionally you might some people type "fu" instead of "hu" in romaji interpretations. They're the same and most native Japanese speakers type and say "fu" (I believe).

Reactions: Corben69Max

Corben69Max

Teto's Territory
Technically yes—hu and fu are phonetically the same in Japanese, so occasionally you might some people type "fu" instead of "hu" in romaji interpretations. They're the same and most native Japanese speakers type and say "fu" (I believe).

Alright then, thank you

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
For the record, the "f" sound in Japanese is similar to how you would...blow out candles on a cake.
But hu and fu and considered the same in Japanese.

Reactions: Corben69Max

Zurui

Accidental Money Waster
Defender of Defoko
The Japanese consonant in "fu" (ふ) is called a voiceless bilabial fricative, represented as a ɸ. Think of ɸ as making an English F sound without using your teeth, and purely with your lips. Because the consonant sounds for "f" and "h" in Japanese are definitely different, the "hu" sound is viable, but simply doesn't exist because of how native speakers actually speak. Simply put, the vowel that the consonant is directly attached to affects how the consonant is said because the lips are shaped in the form of the vowel before the consonant is said.

I've been using ほぅ to describe "hu" when I record, although it's only really needed for CVVC and the like (VCCV, CVVCV, etc.).

(sorry for ranting about my theories about language, the subject is sort of my savvy)

Corben69Max

Teto's Territory
The Japanese consonant in "fu" (ふ) is called a voiceless bilabial fricative, represented as a ɸ. Think of ɸ as making an English F sound without using your teeth, and purely with your lips. Because the consonant sounds for "f" and "h" in Japanese are definitely different, the "hu" sound is viable, but simply doesn't exist because of how native speakers actually speak. Simply put, the vowel that the consonant is directly attached to affects how the consonant is said because the lips are shaped in the form of the vowel before the consonant is said.

I've been using ほぅ to describe "hu" when I record, although it's only really needed for CVVC and the like (VCCV, CVVCV, etc.).

(sorry for ranting about my theories about language, the subject is sort of my savvy)

Thank you for the details, it helps me understand it better.

Reactions: Zurui