Realistic as possible? Or Charmingly Robotic?

Mametchi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've noticed I like robotic and obviously synthetic voices better than realistic voices. Since robotic ones have more character to me, and fit the kinds of music I like better.

Which do you personally prefer? Realistic voicebanks? Or robotic ones?

Reactions: Piia

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
I think it depends on the genre of music. Personally, I prefer UTAU that are capable of sounding realistic, because you can still make them sound robotic if you want, but it's difficult to get a robotic UTAU to sound natural.

Kuro Cure

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I think it depends on the genre of music. Personally, I prefer UTAU that are capable of sounding realistic, because you can still make them sound robotic if you want, but it's difficult to get a robotic UTAU to sound natural.
I agree, realism-capable UTAU are the best of both worlds! If an UTAU is robotic by nature, it's reaaalllyyyyyy hard to get them to sound robotic, but not vice versa!

✧ Elfrida ✧

The Space Witch
Defender of Defoko
While my jaw drops when I hear a fantastically realistic UTAU, I love when they're capable of pulling of realisticness and roboticness. Makes the voice a little more versatile.

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i sorta like both i guess but i tend to like more robotic voices a bit more than extremely realistic ones tho

Milk

i like bad things
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I don't really have a preference, I'm pretty ambiguous when it comes to voice types :-P

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I prefer realistic for UTAU. When I want a robotic sound, I just listen to ChipSpeech/AlterEgo.

ExistenceReaper

Procrastinator
Defender of Defoko
It really depends, but I find realistic voices much easier to work with. I like listening to robotic voices, but not always working with them. Then again I mostly only work with Daisy (alter/ego of course) and Teto so maybe I'm just bad at tuning

dyne 智優

Shoutbox Lurker™
Defender of Defoko
honestly denki sai is bae so the latter maybe?
still love how people make utaus realistic af tho

Alessandra

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
RDotKDots' works are pretty strange to me... The VB sounds like no teathre (not really, but tried to imitate no teather)
Anyways, I prefer realistic voicebanks, because, of well-tuned they can sound really emotional and close to the person who is hearing

P

partial

For me, I love robotic voices. I've never quite understood why people hail realistic sounding voices so much.IMO they take away the fun of synths themselves. If I wanted to hear something realistic, I'd listen to a human singer.

The robotic/strange vocal factor is probably why I like Len so much.

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I personally like more robotic voices. Sometimes when the voice is too realistic, it kinda does some uncanny valley thing and gets creepy to me.. So I enjoy being able to tell a distinct difference between a real singer, and an artificial singer.

☆彡иα∂ιѕ☆彡

Ash Ketchum
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
i prefer realistic voices because you can make them sound robotic but you can't do that with vb's that sound robotic by default. also, my jaw drops when i hear banks that sound like real people and someone mentioned how it takes the fun out of vocalsynth if they're stunningly realistic ir smth but i completely disagree. i think that to get an artificial voice to sound realistic is a fun challenge and goal to strive for and i'm always impressed when people manage to pull it off.

Kuro Cure

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Just remember that you can always tune a realistic voice to sound robotic, in VOCALOID that's just pitch snap, in UTAU, just remove all of the portamento lel
So, I think realistic voices give you more options.

Reactions: HIRATELIER

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Well, as everyone previously stated, a realistic bank can easily do both while a robotic one is limited in it's abilities.

If you like the choppiness, you can just lower overlap values and tune angularly. If you like staticky noise, you can just add clarity-lowering flags. But a "robotic" vocal takes a lot more work to sound realistic, and in the end it's usually still kinda robotic.

A robotic voice sounds nice on certain songs, like electronic or pop ones and some of the more 2008 vocaloid original sounding type songs, but it doesn't work for a vast number of other genres and largely limits their cover range. Realistic voices can be tuned to suit a large range of songs.

Frankly, "robotic" to me kinda sounds like a gentle way to say poorly configured or badly recorded.

Usually the realisticness is in the tuning, but if a bank is totally incapable of sounding one way, then technically that counts as one of their shortcomings.

I guess the way I see it, realistic banks can do all the good things "robotic" banks can do, without any of the limitations of a robotic bank.

Last edited: