Reclist Construction Methods

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I’ve been working on Ichigo’s ACT2, or more getting my crap together to record it. In doing so, I’ve been working on a few mildly customized reclists, during which I had a thought.

I don’t know about anyone else, but some consonant strings give me toungue cramps when I try to do them back to back (particularly R’s.) In trying to figure out a better, more comfortable way of recording, I’ve been tinkering with the idea of recording Ichigo’s next voicebank using strings of alternating consonants:

ra ja ri ja ru je ra / ja ra ji ra ju re ja

I haven’t had much of a chance to experiment with recording this way, but I have yet to see a technical reason not to do this. The number of strings remains the same, and for me, mixed-consonant strings feel more comfortable. I don’t feel like I’m tripping over my own tongue, and it feels more natural.

My only hesitation is that almost all the Japanese-language reclists I’ve looked at use single-consonant strings — ka ka ki ka ku ke ka, etc. So, aside from something of a follow-the-leader mentality in reclist building, or a way of simplifying organization of the list, is there a particular reason there aren’t more reclists or voicebanks made using mixed-consonant strings?

Reactions: Zoku

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I really think it is just for organizational purposes. It's easier to make sure that your reclist is complete and to know where everything is, if you block consonants together. I've noticed that some CVVC reclists actually group by vowel, though, so that you do "kaka, tata, jaja" etc. before you do "kiki, titi, jiji". It's possible to do mixed consonants within VCV strings which is something that I think Jeremy is doing.. it takes a bit of extra effort though.

Reactions: lunavi and Zoku

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
I always figured that varying string lengths and varying consonants would lessen the strain on both the mouth, throat, and it would keep you from getting bored so fast. I feel that people shouldn't be obligated to use pre-existing reclists if they're uncomfortable with how they're set up; you can make a whole new VCCV English reclist with the same phonemes and it'll work with pre-existing USTs.

I think simply, you do you when it comes to reclists.

Reactions: lunavi

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I really think it is just for organizational purposes. It's easier to make sure that your reclist is complete and to know where everything is, if you block consonants together. I've noticed that some CVVC reclists actually group by vowel, though, so that you do "kaka, tata, jaja" etc. before you do "kiki, titi, jiji". It's possible to do mixed consonants within VCV strings which is something that I think Jeremy is doing.. it takes a bit of extra effort though.

That makes sense. I've been tinkering with the alternating-consonants list, and I'll admit that it took a little effort to make sure I had all the sounds accounted for.

I always figured that varying string lengths and varying consonants would lessen the strain on both the mouth, throat, and it would keep you from getting bored so fast. I feel that people shouldn't be obligated to use pre-existing reclists if they're uncomfortable with how they're set up; you can make a whole new VCCV English reclist with the same phonemes and it'll work with pre-existing USTs.

I think simply, you do you when it comes to reclists.

That’s kind of what was thinking — for me, personally, it's a lot easier to get sounds like the H’s and the R’s to roll off my toungue if they’re spaced out by other sounds that flow reasonably well. I'll continue tinkering with the list, I think -- I'll have to see which consonants string together best (and with the least amount of strain.)

Thank you, both of you! :D

Reactions: Zoku

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I can see a lot of people benefiting from alternating consonants. You'd just have to be careful keeping things organized so you don't miss anything, and I like the idea of experimenting to see which consonants work together best.

Sounds like something I'd try in my spare time.

Reactions: Nohkara and lunavi

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I can see a lot of people benefiting from alternating consonants. You'd just have to be careful keeping things organized so you don't miss anything, and I like the idea of experimenting to see which consonants work together best.

Sounds like something I'd try in my spare time.

I'm putting together an alternating consonants CVVC reclist based on Delta's 8-mora CVVC. It's a small list, more or less, so it shouldn't be too difficult to keep track of the sounds involved and make sure they're all accounted for. Plus, if it works well, it could serve as a guide for a larger VCV list. At least, that's what I'm thinking, anyway. :D

Reactions: Zoku and Kiyoteru