Requesting a Pitch-Bend / Tuning Critique

P

PurinPuff

I'm a bit worried that my tuning is too subtle, so I'll give you a few examples of my stuff, and I'd like to know what you think. :smile:

I want to try posting different genres, but I haven't full-out tuned that many.
Feel free to request I put another genre up if it helps your critique.

Feel free to be completely honest with me, but I'd like for some helpful advice with that opinion.

Jazzy? (More like Nem songs, orz) Genre

(Kazu CV)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/purinpuff/kazu-old-tuning[/soundcloud]

(Kazu CV and Melissa CV)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/purinpuff/p-and-j-tuning[/soundcloud]

Rock Genre (I did these pitchbends last night, rather than months ago.)

(Matsudappoiyo edge VCV)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/purinpuff/i-tried-to-tune-ppoiyo-edge-a[/soundcloud]

I also rendered the same pitchbends with a less dynamic multipitch. (Suikomi Kiei VCV)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/purinpuff/same-leia-pitchbending-sorry[/soundcloud]

Kitsuyeo

Teto's Territory
Well, let me see...

My favorite part of using USTs is pitchbending them ^_^
I studied pitchbending and tuning for months on end and so with my experience... I can proudly say... Your pitchbending is quite nice :D
If you would like an example of my pitchbending, the first part of this song is pitchbended by me. he "Naneun Ggumiya, Ggumiya" part
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kistuyeo/i-nightmare-denki-utadenwa[/soundcloud]

I really can't say there's much wrong with your pitchbending, but do keep practicing ^_^

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm just going to judge the two rock VCV ones for a couple reasons:
-They're months more recent
-I much prefer rock songs and know them better
-They're VCV and I'm much more used to VCV hah ;; bad reason

I think you have a good base in pitchbends, they're much better than the standard user and I really like how you use vibrato, I think you have that down especially. However, I think you should REALLY be careful about overdoing it to where it sounds odd. "rowoharate" in Leia sounded...a bit ridiculous; there was way too much on the notes. However, on the opposite side I really liked "kyanbasuwo" (I think those are the lyrics), those felt very very well linked and done. I can see a real person singing that part that way.

Just think, how would a real person sing this song? If you sing, sing it to yourself, if you can't listen to some Nico people. That should give you a good idea of where to place pitchbends.

I think some pitchbends I like to very frequently use would be really good for you to look into using/experimenting with. This is just my style, so I'm not saying YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG DO THISSSS just that this is another method to try.

So first off, here's a rendering of the next three screenshots in UTAU and what they sound like:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/shinami/samples-for-purin[/soundcloud]

Now, here's what they look like in UTAU.
pitchbendss_by_shinamieba-d5qnk7u.png

I circled the areas of interest. I think you should experiment with that "step-up" kind of pitchbend, experiment with the curve types like R and J because they can make fantastic pitchbends, and some initial and final pitchbends that can make sharp starts and fall-out endings. i suck at explaining things

All and all, I think you have a fantastic start on pitchbends, just work on not overdoing it and imagine a singer to help.

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Haha. It's better to be subtle then to overdo it, trust me.
Anyways, I kinda agree with what shinami said. The "rowoharate" part kinda threw it off a bit. But I'm not just going to repeat what she said(because, well, she basically summed up most of what I was going to say anyways XD).

I'm going for the rock ones too because I have more experience in rock and heavier songs than with slower and lighter songs.

I think you did really well with them. I mean, if you just started tuning, then this is really good.
Do you use a lot of the valleys(what I call when you dip a point instead of raising it. You get what I mean? It kinda adds to songs (rock especially). You see where shinami put the "steps?" Mix and match that with the hills and valleys during the beginning of the note to get really awesome outcomes. Find out basic..sorta....bends then add them with other basic bends.....you get what I mean?

Vibrato is VERY important in rock songs imo. I suggest using fast vibrato over slow because well...it makes more of an impact. Don't make it too fast though. You seem to do well with vibrato so you can ignore this lol.

These are just suggestions, though.

And also...here's a short little opinion I have. You don't really need to read it because you probably already know it  but it's your choice..soo..
I personally think that all utaus have different "sensitivities" to pitchbends.

Example(from a ust I'm editing)
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/user5179945/pitchbend-sensitivity-test[/soundcloud]

My utau was the first to sing. You can kinda hear that the pitchbends were a bit....harsher (for lack of a better term) than Mai Yukiri who was the second singer. It's not so fair since Mai has a softer voice but I have no other CV utau so yeah.

Where I mean to go with this is that...depending on the utau you use, you get a different.....output or something. When you used Matsu, you could see how much more it affected him than Suikomi. In the "rowoharate" part, Suikomi's sounded a bit better because it didn't really affect him...yeah.

I kinda suck at explaining so forgive me lol. I'm more of a visual explainer but I don't really know how to capture the screen yet on my computer so asdvjaksd.

Halo

Icon by Wanpuccino @ DA
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
You need to edit the vibrato. When vibrato is too slow it sounds gross and messes with the pitch, also, some of these songs (Jazz in particular) need a... a lot of it?? So it's better to have none or a fair bit of it, or some that's perfectly placed for effect. It's good to try and sing the songs yourself to get an idea of pitch bend and vibrato placement if you can.

The "kyomo" in Leia is a really good example of going over the top with pitch bends. Any effects you're hearing on those sounds apart from a slight four-point dip is probably actually better suited to Vibrato.
How I personally would have done it is like this:
a06WX.png

The vibrato of kyo is the most personal of personal choices, and is an example of things that might only work on one bank and not on another.

This is only a simple critique, because I feel Shinami elaborated and made some extremely good points! Good luck, and keep at it!

P

PurinPuff

Sorry I took so long to respond! I've been semi-comatose for the last bit since I got my step-dad's cold.

I want to thank you guys for all the helpful advice! I really appreciate you guys taking your time to help me out with this; I wanna make all the pretty singing.
Shinami, I appreciate the examples of pitch-bends you use, because it helps me be more varied in what I can do.

Just for errybody's reference, this is my 'rowoharate' part.

rowoharate.png

I can see how it looks crazy.

@Miramiee: I understand what you mean by different sensitivities to pitchbends; I try to re-tune if it's necessary when I change a singer.

@Halo: Thanks for mentioning the vibrato part; it's something I need to work on a bit more. I usually use the default vibrato because I have a hard time placing it, but extending the "what would you sing" to include vibrato too makes sense to me.

Thanks for the encouragement, too~ I don't think I'll ever stop tuning as long as I still use UTAU. :3

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I can see what you did with the "rowoharate" part. It's actually not that crazy at all and it's really neat ^^. The "ro" and "ra" te parts are what messed it up. The first "step" there was really well put but the "hill" was added too late into the note and that made it sound weird. If you inched them back by a few, then it'll sound nice, i bet.

And for the vibrato on the "ha" part. Try inching that by....er a centimeter or less. Don't go too far because then it'd be a bit messed up.