schwa sound???

Nohkara

Pronouns: He/him
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So, I have looked at VCCV and Delta CVVC English recording lists and there's one specific vowel sound which I just... don't get at all. ^^;

And that's "schwa".

I really don't know how should I pronounce it - at all. Like... It's freaking confusing.

Yes, I HAVE looked up to CZ's tutorials all ready. Still... don't get it my mother language isn't English so bear with me, ok?

Umph... so... How do I say it? Any tips, please?

I don't want to destroy my possible English VB just because don't know one sound, so I though that it's the best ask at this point before recording anything :sing:

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
idk how to describe this so aaaa like
"sh" as in she and "wa" as in water
so like "shwa"
(never recorded english vb but im a native english speaker so yee)

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're not a native english speaker, then there isn't much of a point to record the schwa. The idea is that native speakers have a way of slurring speech, and that vowel is the one that recreates it.

This page has examples of words in various languages that contain the vowel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_central_vowel

Reactions: Nohkara

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
the Schwa is a very general vowel.

Think of it as that lazy "ouh" that sits between the "oo" in "book" and the "uh" in "bun". It's the sound that you make when you hold your mouth open and don't try making an actual vowel.

for singing banks it kinda unimportant and you could cheat and just record something close-ish to the "oo" in book and no one would really notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nohkara