Something happened (Solved)

EchoCaptil

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well.. I almost lost EVERYTHING on my PC (Good thing I never) but.. Now UTAU crashes way more then what it did

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Utau is displaying symptoms of problems, yes... but the real problem lies with whatever caused Windows to slow down in the first place. As for what it could be... There's a lot of possible causes...

- data corruption/malware/your machine is part of a botnet. Run reputable software such as Kapersky, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, or Avast.

- you could be running too many programs at once. That said, UTAU doesn't require a lot to run. 524Mbs iirc. Browsers, video production software, or music production software can slow down the average consumer grade machine significantly (This assumes that you run the average software that others in the community will point to such as adobe aftereffects, FL Studio, and the like).

- have you tried running utau vanilla? As in have you relocated any plug-ins, vbs that aren't Defoko, any resampler that isn't default to another location to see if it will open and stay open without crashing? Have you also tried reinstalling UTAU? Did you check to see that settings haven't changed for Windows itself?

At the very least, I would start storing my banks (as well as copies of dl'd banks that are rare/discontinued) on external media as well as on a cloud service or 2. Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Mega all have storage sizes that should suffice for the average UTAU vb hoarder. It's faster to just restart Windows over from scratch and reinstall rather than try to find the core issue.

Reactions: Piia

EchoCaptil

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Utau is displaying symptoms of problems, yes... but the real problem lies with whatever caused Windows to slow down in the first place. As for what it could be... There's a lot of possible causes...

- data corruption/malware/your machine is part of a botnet. Run reputable software such as Kapersky, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, or Avast.

- you could be running too many programs at once. That said, UTAU doesn't require a lot to run. 524Mbs iirc. Browsers, video production software, or music production software can slow down the average consumer grade machine significantly (This assumes that you run the average software that others in the community will point to such as adobe aftereffects, FL Studio, and the like).

- have you tried running utau vanilla? As in have you relocated any plug-ins, vbs that aren't Defoko, any resampler that isn't default to another location to see if it will open and stay open without crashing? Have you also tried reinstalling UTAU? Did you check to see that settings haven't changed for Windows itself?

At the very least, I would start storing my banks (as well as copies of dl'd banks that are rare/discontinued) on external media as well as on a cloud service or 2. Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Mega all have storage sizes that should suffice for the average UTAU vb hoarder. It's faster to just restart Windows over from scratch and reinstall rather than try to find the core issue.
My PC is fixed, I tried to relocate everything.. But when I edit an oto.. It crashes, and every time I close utau, this message pops up

23h3tc7.jpg

P

partial

Change the permissions of utau via the properties tab you'll find upon clicking the exe (not the shortcut, go to the actual exe). What is your os?

Reactions: Tomato Hentai

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If stuff is crashing then that's usually a sign that you have either system component issues or file system corruption.
Rebooting your pc doesn't fix this, you actually need to to run commands and let your PC sit whilst it does things (overly simplifying).

Windows 10 has a quirk in how it tries to "heal" the filesystem live/while the computer is running to avoid rebooting and it slowly wreaks havoc.
Windows 10 also has no built in way of telling you if you HDD is dying or not until it's far too late.

Press windows key+x to open a menu on the bottom left corner
Click on "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Click yes in the UAC popup.
In the command prompt (black box) type: "chkdsk /f /r /x" and hit enter.
It will say:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
type "Y" and hit enter
Now after you reboot it will scan the disk/filesystem for issues and attempt to fix them, during this time your computer will be unusable.
This can be a long process and it's important that you don't reboot your computer (by holding down the power button or unplugging it) as that can cause even more problems. (that being said, if your computer freezes (the progress doesn't go up) for like 7 hours and there is no hard drive activity then you are probably safe to reboot.

This won't fix a dying HDD but it will help repair a messed up filesystem and move files out of bad sectors on your harddrive onto fresh ones. chkdsk will most likely report no errors since hard drives are smart enough to move files out of bad sectors on their own but sometimes it takes an extra push to actually detect them.

If that doesn't work then come back here and we can try to help you in different ways.

If you really wanted to test if you HDD is dying then you should look into SMART tests which will list things like how many sectors are bad and unrecoverable and surface scanning which is exactly what it sounds like.

EchoCaptil

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
W
If stuff is crashing then that's usually a sign that you have either system component issues or file system corruption.
Rebooting your pc doesn't fix this, you actually need to to run commands and let your PC sit whilst it does things (overly simplifying).

Windows 10 has a quirk in how it tries to "heal" the filesystem live/while the computer is running to avoid rebooting and it slowly wreaks havoc.
Windows 10 also has no built in way of telling you if you HDD is dying or not until it's far too late.

It will say:
type "Y" and hit enter
Now after you reboot it will scan the disk/filesystem for issues and attempt to fix them, during this time your computer will be unusable.
This can be a long process and it's important that you don't reboot your computer (by holding down the power button or unplugging it) as that can cause even more problems. (that being said, if your computer freezes (the progress doesn't go up) for like 7 hours and there is no hard drive activity then you are probably safe to reboot.

This won't fix a dying HDD but it will help repair a messed up filesystem and move files out of bad sectors on your harddrive onto fresh ones. chkdsk will most likely report no errors since hard drives are smart enough to move files out of bad sectors on their own but sometimes it takes an extra push to actually detect them.

If that doesn't work then come back here and we can try to help you in different ways.

If you really wanted to test if you HDD is dying then you should look into SMART tests which will list things like how many sectors are bad and unrecoverable and surface scanning which is exactly what it sounds like.
Wait, while it is scanning am I able to use my PC like normal?

EchoCaptil

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
W

Wait, while it is scanning am I able to use my PC like normal?
Also, I opened the command prompt by looking it up, and right clicking it, then running as admin, will that work?
[doublepost=1488590113][/doublepost]Oh, sorry.. I'm kind of distracted >_>

Okay, I'm on my nan's PC at this moment so.

It will say:
type "Y" and hit enter

Is it suppose to be at like, 12% before "Stopping"?

Also.. Will this delete any files? (Like games, voicebanks, etc) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
yes right clicking and running as admin is just as good.

like I said, it can take a very long time, hours.
It will often appears as though it's not doing anything even though it actually is.

Deleting files is not a fix because all you're doing is freeing that space for other files.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piia and Kiyoteru

EchoCaptil

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
like I said, it can take a very long time, hours.
It will often appears as though it's not doing anything even though it actually is.

Deleting files is not a fix because all you're doing is freeing that space for other files.
Okay.. I'm looking in the windows log, and in the Applications... There is some errors on apps, and warnings on ESENT and restart manager