the 'UTAU with E.V.E.C' -Project

BYTE01

Teto's Territory
I heard it's possible to record 3 voicebanks (or more) and stuff them together to one voicebank that can change the voice color by adding some signs on the end of the note. I'd really like to record such an UTAU and would need someone who could help me with the strategy how to stuff the voicebanks together and how to make it actually usable like E.V.E.C. Please PM me or write here im the thread if you're interested.
If there's a oto-er out there wanking to help, I really appreciate it!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
EVEC is a copy of the UTAU system of using suffixes, which has existed for a VERY long time. (If you would like an example of a voicebank created in such a way, try installing Kasane Teto EXACTLY the way that the website specifies.)

In your voicebank, set up three folders, one for each tone. Record one entire voicebank into each folder.

When you are OTOing, add a letter to the end of each alias for each folder.
For example, you have Whisper, Strong, and Falsetto.
In the whisper folder, your OTO aliases say "kaW" "seW" "nyaW" etc.
In the strong folder, your OTO aliases say "kaS" "seS" "nyaS" etc.
In the falsetto folder, your OTO aliases say "kaF" "seF" "nyaF" etc.

When you are using the voicebank, you can put the letter at the end of a note lyric in order to use that specific folder of samples.

If you intend to copy Vocaloid's system of EVEC simply by recording only the vowels for each of the tones, instead of entire voicebanks, it sounds like this.

It's not a good idea.

Reactions: melobuniiP

BYTE01

Teto's Territory
EVEC is a copy of the UTAU system of using suffixes, which has existed for a VERY long time. (If you would like an example of a voicebank created in such a way, try installing Kasane Teto EXACTLY the way that the website specifies.)

In your voicebank, set up three folders, one for each tone. Record one entire voicebank into each folder.

When you are OTOing, add a letter to the end of each alias for each folder.
For example, you have Whisper, Strong, and Falsetto.
In the whisper folder, your OTO aliases say "kaW" "seW" "nyaW" etc.
In the strong folder, your OTO aliases say "kaS" "seS" "nyaS" etc.
In the falsetto folder, your OTO aliases say "kaF" "seF" "nyaF" etc.

When you are using the voicebank, you can put the letter at the end of a note lyric in order to use that specific folder of samples.

If you intend to copy Vocaloid's system of EVEC simply by recording only the vowels for each of the tones, instead of entire voicebanks, it sounds like this.

It's not a good idea.

And why isn't this a good idea now? The UTAU sounds great!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Generally, you REALLY should be recording entire voicebanks for each of your tones/expressions/appends. Doing just the vowels can result in choppiness and crossfade problems, as well being a huge PAIN to edit USTs for. The standard in the community is suffixes.

Also, once you're used to how to configure suffixes, you can learn how to take advantage of the prefixmap to create multipitch voicebanks. (It's even possible to have multipitch and multi-append together.)

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
EVEC is only new for Vocaloid. We have long since had the ability to combine banks of different stylistic tones and pitches all into one manageable system to be used in a single UST. It may not seem very common because many users separate their different tones - whether for ease of download or to not risk oto limits.

And like Adlez said, it's best in the long run to record whole banks of a voice color/tone:
- less envelope errors (to have a convincing switch requires shortening the preceding consonant enough where the vowel isn't noticeable = potential for exclamation marks)
- less editing USTs (you can just change a suffix opposed to changing the structure of the UST itself and sacrificing pitchbends due to the aforementioned shortening of notes)
- less choppiness

Single vowels for different voice colors should only be for testing purposes (making sure they're not too similar/overlapping) before recording the whole of a bank.

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I would only advocate the use of stationary vowels (only vowel recordings) for differing tones in the case of 1) testing or 2) not particularly having another choice -- eg, for expansions within something as large as VCCV English... or when you can't possibly record more from your voicer due to time constraints... both of which being reasons I've utilized stationary vowels for tonal expansions. Otherwise, I would agree with recording entire banks instead.

If you're curious about what such a bank looks like, I'll shamelessly plug my own UTAU, Halt Tanner, who has 13 distinct tones built into one bank (though 7 of those could be said to be her "multipitch core") including soft, falsetto, gravel, belting, and "yelling" (a differently colored belt) tones. That's her current "CV" bank, which is somewhat dated, but it illustrates the method well enough.

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
im using a sort of method like this for my utau its basically kire multipitch recorded all on the same pitch meaning it has a bit more flexibility for each bank although of course the range is not as good as it could be with multipitch

LunarConstruct

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Tsuki's All-in-One Voicebank is using something like this! I put a copy of all of her Japanese voicebanks into a folder and gave them each a different suffix. From her readme file:
To activate the voicebanks in Tsuki's All-in-One pack, you can use different symbols with each phoneme. CORE CV and VCV would be default, however because of the tripitch bank being included, you must add a prefix.
NORMAL: "?" (i.e.: ?か)
PASSION: "!" (i.e.: か!)
GENTLE: "*" (i.e.: か*)
TRIPITCH: no prefix or suffix needed. The pitches used in this bank are B2, D3, and C5. You can add the symbols "v", "|", and "^" respectively to override the preset prefix.map.

Using this method works for me, everything is a full voicebank. You can start off a song with her GENTLE append, and then as the song gets more intense you can start using her tripitch or PASSION.

I am also making a Multilingual Pack, where you activate different voicebanks using suffixes of each language. for example, ENG for english, KOR for Korean, FRA for French, etc. If you need some help setting it up, I'd be glad to help!

BYTE01

Teto's Territory
Tsuki's All-in-One Voicebank is using something like this! I put a copy of all of her Japanese voicebanks into a folder and gave them each a different suffix. From her readme file:
To activate the voicebanks in Tsuki's All-in-One pack, you can use different symbols with each phoneme. CORE CV and VCV would be default, however because of the tripitch bank being included, you must add a prefix.
NORMAL: "?" (i.e.: ?か)
PASSION: "!" (i.e.: か!)
GENTLE: "*" (i.e.: か*)
TRIPITCH: no prefix or suffix needed. The pitches used in this bank are B2, D3, and C5. You can add the symbols "v", "|", and "^" respectively to override the preset prefix.map.

Using this method works for me, everything is a full voicebank. You can start off a song with her GENTLE append, and then as the song gets more intense you can start using her tripitch or PASSION.

I am also making a Multilingual Pack, where you activate different voicebanks using suffixes of each language. for example, ENG for english, KOR for Korean, FRA for French, etc. If you need some help setting it up, I'd be glad to help!

That would be awsome! Actually I'm pretty new to UTAU and right now I'm struggeling with my utau... His ACT1 was a total mess, so I didn't even published him, only give him away by request. I want his ACT2 to be something special, something impressive. (Just a dream of a person that has to high hopes, but whateva xD)

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
when adding suffixes to a bank to have both multipitch AND additional tones you simple need to alias it as "SAMPLE TONE PITCH".
so "- ka" with a whisper tone and recorewd on C3 would be "- ka W C3" and you can type W after the note in UTAU and it will not affect the pitch suffix.
It will be very messy to alias but actual usage is all the same.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Since you're still a beginner, you should start with a basic version of this concept. Try just having your main voicebank and a softer or a stronger set added onto it. If you want help structuring a more complex voicebank and making sure that it works, you're free to add me on skype. My username there is the same as mine here.