Things the average arpasing user should know

Damien

Wannabe Worker
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Straightforward, just some tips here. I'm no expert, but, ehh I'll post a thing anyway. Things are subject to change and things will be added/removed. This was not professionally made.

• When recording, do not leave much space between words, like at all! That's bad. Record like a vcv bank. (I've been told to just use constant velocity if you like recording slower and whatever so, just do that I guess)
  • When USTing, VC notes should not go over 60 or 120 milliseconds, this is just like how VCCV works.
  • These buttons
    3ZYIQP5.png
    XoCHgGd.png
    use them. A lot. P2P3 then ACPT, in that order I believe. They make everything less choppy and smooth like butter.
  • Ok so you can have multipitch in your arpasing bank, but you have to do it this way for now, with a pitch in the main folder and other pitches in sub folders:
    gBmRtln.png
    More info on this is in Klad/Kiyoteru's arpasing vb tutorial.
  • I can't tune, but if I knew how, I'd recommend you tune like you tune VCCV English. It works just the same.
  • o6bj2YR.png
    ALWAYS TYPE YES (unless you're converting a VCCV voicebank to Arpasing)
  • When recording, your samples don't need to be absurdly long, but if they are, like I said in my first bullet, DO NOT LEAVE A LOT OF SPACE BETWEEN YOUR WORDS
  • When recording, you can sing or talk and it'll work out pretty decent anyway. Monitoring your pronounciation helps though if you're singing.
  • When generating your oto for arpasing in moresampler, you must have your index.csv in the same folder as your wavs. This counts for multipitch as well. Index.csv in every pitch.
  • Male arpasing voicebanks like TIPS better in my experience. Pretty random, but it just works better.
  • Careful when using usts made by other people, as if they are already parsed into the arpasing method, using them as plug and play could be a real challenge my friend, I'm sorry.
  • The default reclists that are released from Kanru Hua are bound to be missing phonemes. The method he uses to create the list only accounts for the most used words in songs. You can make your own lists or add to the existing list to accomodate for missing phonemes.
  • Arpasing is a method, a standard to which English reclists can be made on based on Arpabet and be understood without having to learn a completely new phoneme system for every different reclist.

Last edited:

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
Ooo noice, except for teh 8th bullet, did ya mean when recording or when you tune?

Hazu パワ

Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo
Defender of Defoko
It'a impossible for me to plug and play arpasing usts atm for me- even though I edit them alot anyways- there's always those darn [!] to look out for

Damien

Wannabe Worker
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It'a impossible for me to plug and play arpasing usts atm for me- even though I edit them alot anyways- there's always those darn [!] to look out for
What's the big deal with those? I kinda just, don't bother lol. If it sounds good it works, imo. (The exclamation marks)

Hazu パワ

Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo
Defender of Defoko
With me everytime they make the ust off time when it exports lmao and make the note sound.. off or dont play at all- you may not notice them because their usually always really small things like beginning consonants and stuff

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Arpasing assistant does not work with multipitch. It doesn't, don't even try.

Voicebank tutorial said:
FOR MULTIPITCH: In the main voicebank folder, there must be a pitch that has no suffixes in the OTO. All other pitches with suffixes should be in their own subfolders. Don't add suffixes to the file names, or else the index.csv will be incompatible.
Usage tutorial said:
FOR MULTIPITCH: If the voicebank you're using is multipitch, there are issues with Arpasing Assistant. The best thing to do is to temporarily remove all pitches with suffixes from the voicebank. The pitch without a suffix should be the only one remaining, and should not be inside a subfolder. Then, run Arpasing Assistant as usual. Once the UST has been converted, put the other pitches back in.

ALWAYS TYPE YES

...Unless you're converting a VCCV bank to Arpasing, in which case you would select "no" and delete all the duplicates through another method.

Contrary to the "Sing them don't say them rule", in arpasing it's perfectly fine to just say the words. (When recording)

If you want your voicebank to sound spoken, speak your samples. If you want your voicebank to sound sung, sing your samples. This applies to all reclists. (Personally, I carefully monitor my pronunciation of the 'ao' and 'er' vowels, because I want to give them a certain sound in a singing context.)

Damien

Wannabe Worker
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
...Unless you're converting a VCCV bank to Arpasing, in which case you would select "no" and delete all the duplicates through another method.

If you want your voicebank to sound spoken, speak your samples. If you want your voicebank to sound sung, sing your samples. This applies to all reclists. (Personally, I carefully monitor my pronunciation of the 'ao' and 'er' vowels, because I want to give them a certain sound in a singing context.)
Edited post
[doublepost=1495497594][/doublepost]I know about the first thing reguarding multipitch, but I like having my banks nice and neat like this:
3ve5XPE.png

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
Oh almost forgot! When you make a multipitch, you actually need to put pitch suffixes on all of the otos, and then summon them with prefix.map-- if you leave one out with no suffix, the map won't work at all!

And always turn automatic VCV chaining off when you do arpasing, it's an evil little shiet

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
there's always those darn [!] to look out for

You can fix individual [!] notes by right clicking on them, selecting "Envelope", and pressing the "Normal" button in the bottom middle. To avoid it in the future, try adjusting the OTO of that sample, or making the note a little longer. (You can retain the timing of nearby notes by holding CTRL as you drag the length.)

Though the "official" way to do a Arpasing UST is to have a diphone for every single transition, you can probably get away with not including some. For example, if a word is "actor", you could probably remove [k t] and still have it sound fine. This also reduces the number of super-tiny notes that cause errors.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
And always turn automatic VCV chaining off when you do arpasing, it's an evil little shiet
If that's the [A] button on the bottom left corner, UTAU doesn't have that unless you're using the shareware version. Also, you don't need to have this on since this isn't a CV ust that you want to work with a VCV bank, and if you're doing it for the automatic enveloping, there's are numerous crossfading features in UTAU as it is.

Hazu パワ

Weeaboo yet not Weeaboo
Defender of Defoko
You can fix individual [!] notes by right clicking on them, selecting "Envelope", and pressing the "Normal" button in the bottom middle. To avoid it in the future, try adjusting the OTO of that sample, or making the note a little longer. (You can retain the timing of nearby notes by holding CTRL as you drag the length.)

Though the "official" way to do a Arpasing UST is to have a diphone for every single transition, you can probably get away with not including some. For example, if a word is "actor", you could probably remove [k t] and still have it sound fine. This also reduces the number of super-tiny notes that cause errors.
Thankies, though I usually just reset them and it fixes the problem heh : 3

Fanicom

Grandma Hyena
Defender of Defoko
If that's the [A] button on the bottom left corner, UTAU doesn't have that unless you're using the shareware version. Also, you don't need to have this on since this isn't a CV ust that you want to work with a VCV bank, and if you're doing it for the automatic enveloping, there's are numerous crossfading features in UTAU as it is.
ye it's that A button, that's *if* it's shareware version :U like i had it turned on for a long time and didn't really know what it's for until i started using arpas banks, so ye who knows maybe someone forgot too?

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
ye it's that A button, that's *if* it's shareware version :U like i had it turned on for a long time and didn't really know what it's for until i started using arpas banks, so ye who knows maybe someone forgot too?
You're only supposed to have the shareware features if you bought the shareware code or someone just gave it to you. The automatic VCV button is kinda useless for banks that are not in kana VCV and the ust in kana CV. (Or if you have *samples like *あ to force UTAU to recognise it as an VCV sample but not much people know about that.)

Ah, I nearly forgot what I was going to add. Ensure to use the duplicates that are generated. Sometimes another sample might sound better than what the Arpasing Assistant gives you or what you first used when converting a VCCV ust to an Arpasing one.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
I got another one to add.

The default reclists that are released from Kanru Hua are bound to be missing phonemes. The method he uses to create the list only accounts for the most used words in songs.

That's why you can make your own lists or add on to the existing one to add in anything that'll you deem necessary to include (like 'v oy' or standalone vowels).

Arpasing is a method, a standard to which English reclists can be made on based on Arpabet and be understood without having to learn a completely new phoneme system for every different reclist.

Damien

Wannabe Worker
Retired User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I got another one to add.

The default reclists that are released from Kanru Hua are bound to be missing phonemes. The method he uses to create the list only accounts for the most used words in songs.

That's why you can make your own lists or add on to the existing one to add in anything that'll you deem necessary to include (like 'v oy' or standalone vowels).

Arpasing is a method, a standard to which English reclists can be made on based on Arpabet and be understood without having to learn a completely new phoneme system for every different reclist.
I've added these items, thanks VocAddict

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Oh almost forgot! When you make a multipitch, you actually need to put pitch suffixes on all of the otos, and then summon them with prefix.map-- if you leave one out with no suffix, the map won't work at all!

I had no idea that I had to turn VCV chaining off, thank you!!