Tips for making a ust for beginners?

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
so uh..... I want to make an original (I don't have any composition skill, but by the most I can write lyrics and all that- I can't make usts though...) so uh, I need some tips for ust making, because I am LOST. I'm specifically trying to make an english ust from scratch, and well- yeah I need help.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
My personal technique for making USTs for originals is heavily based on the fact that I prefer to write the music first, then the lyrics.

A typical DAW (digital audio workstation, or music program) should be able to export MIDI files, which contain information about the notes. As I write the song, I have one MIDI track that has the melody of my vocal part. When I have it as I want it, I export the file and import it to UTAU.

Once it's in UTAU, I add the lyrics and do all the usual editing and tuning for any other UST. If you want tips specifically for creating English USTs, I'd need to know what type of voicebank you'll be using. Are you making a japanese bank sing english, or are you using a bank with the Chezzie or Delta phonetic systems?

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Like Adlez said, a typical DAW will generally allow for midi creation (Mixcraft, FL Studio, Studio One, etc) that you'll be able to port into UTAU. If you already have your lyrics, then hopefully you have an idea of a melody. If you don't have a single clue about music, then I suggest learning some basic music theory - music keys and the notes contained in them (scale) is a start.

http://musictheorysite.com/major-scales/list-of-all-major-scales - this site tells you what notes each key scale contains (includes major, minor, and pentatonic scales) as well as basic music theory for learning sheet music. Even if you don't need to know how to read sheet music (since the piano roll will tell you what note you're on), knowing what key your melody will be in is the first step before you think about the instrumentation that might go around the vocals.

If you'll be using a Japanese bank to Engrish, then I'm willing to help with anything you may need to make it understandable.

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
My personal technique for making USTs for originals is heavily based on the fact that I prefer to write the music first, then the lyrics.

A typical DAW (digital audio workstation, or music program) should be able to export MIDI files, which contain information about the notes. As I write the song, I have one MIDI track that has the melody of my vocal part. When I have it as I want it, I export the file and import it to UTAU.

Once it's in UTAU, I add the lyrics and do all the usual editing and tuning for any other UST. If you want tips specifically for creating English USTs, I'd need to know what type of voicebank you'll be using. Are you making a japanese bank sing english, or are you using a bank with the Chezzie or Delta phonetic systems?

Like Adlez said, a typical DAW will generally allow for midi creation (Mixcraft, FL Studio, Studio One, etc) that you'll be able to port into UTAU. If you already have your lyrics, then hopefully you have an idea of a melody. If you don't have a single clue about music, then I suggest learning some basic music theory - music keys and the notes contained in them (scale) is a start.

http://musictheorysite.com/major-scales/list-of-all-major-scales - this site tells you what notes each key scale contains (includes major, minor, and pentatonic scales) as well as basic music theory for learning sheet music. Even if you don't need to know how to read sheet music (since the piano roll will tell you what note you're on), knowing what key your melody will be in is the first step before you think about the instrumentation that might go around the vocals.

If you'll be using a Japanese bank to Engrish, then I'm willing to help with anything you may need to make it understandable.

Thanks for the tips guys! I made a little instrumental, can I get an opinion on this if possible? http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17470410/

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It sounds pretty nice, but I think there's too many low notes and not enough high notes. Try moving stuff around or adding/removing things to cover the whole range more evenly. Also, it would probably be more interesting if you added some drums! You can make a basic beat with a kick and snare.

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
It sounds pretty nice, but I think there's too many low notes and not enough high notes. Try moving stuff around or adding/removing things to cover the whole range more evenly. Also, it would probably be more interesting if you added some drums! You can make a basic beat with a kick and snare.
thanks, it's my first time making something actually, I'll be sure to add those in also.

B

bodytemp

Making Usts can be difficult. You are best off creating a midi then importing it. But that doesn't stop you trying. Knowing your music theory can also help with your timing and such. Like knowing what 4/4 32/3 8/16 etc etc mean. Being able to know your scales and knowing whats on a piano role also helps.

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Making Usts can be difficult. You are best off creating a midi then importing it. But that doesn't stop you trying. Knowing your music theory can also help with your timing and such. Like knowing what 4/4 32/3 8/16 etc etc mean. Being able to know your scales and knowing whats on a piano role also helps.
thanks ^^ luckily I took piano for a few years so I know what to expect, which really helps me, if I can remember stuff that is.. it's been a while