Tips for recording a powerful bank?

P

partial

My voice is naturally very mellow.

I want to be able to record a powerful bank, but when I think about it, I automatically think "just be louder", but I know that's not how it's done. Someone once told me it's about projecting your voice, but I don't know how to.

Does anyone have any tips?

Animé Fan

Head of the Shonen Academy
Defender of Defoko
The first time I recorded a "power" voicebank, I simply huffed into the microphone. You know, like how stereotypical ninja characters speak. But that was a long time ago, so I don't think I'll be able to recreate such a voice again without tearing a few hairs out.

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Just loud isn't it. Power usually means emphasis on the consonants as well. But you should go loud as well. However be aware that a power VB will have a smaller range, due to it being recorded at a higher pitch. It tends to get muffled up in lower octaves. It also should sound different, yet not deviate too much from the original.

The part before the last chorus is sung by Sora's normal VB. I'd suggest you listen.to the cover, so you can hear the difference.

Reactions: Nohkara and partial

ReticentResolve

Ancient Master of Filibustering
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Well, I haven't recorded a power bank myself, but I don't think loud is the idea, more just a result of the singing style. From what i've seen and tried, I think that changing pitch part of the way through works well, kind of like Karasu Yuutsukoe's power bank.

Another tip, males and females have different sizes of vocal folds, which effects range and- at least I think -the projection of your voice. So to be able to record a more booming, strong voice, you need to stretch your vocal folds and attempt to close them tighter. Do be careful if you do this, though, if you record too much like this, you'll very easily lose your voice for a day or two. (Personal experience)

Soursop the fruit

✧ Fruity & Happy ✧
Defender of Defoko
To create a powerful vocal, train your diaphragm because it is the battery of powerful vocal.
Train it with vocal warm-up, especially the "panting" warm-up which will extend the air capacity in our lungs (correct me if i'm wrong), there's an explanation in YT which can be useful for you...

Actually, i have another vid to help you create powerful vocal..I see it helpful since it has complete methods to train our vocal power..But unfortunately it's in my native language, it's 6mins length...if you're interested i can try to spare my time to help w/ translating and giving you the conclusion of it.

Last edited:
K

Kassandra

power is more about strength of the voice more than loudness, even though they usually end up going hand and hand. think of it more like you need to shout over someone, it's kinda hard to explain. i would start with some vocal warmups and even trying to sing because it's kind of like you can get a more natural feel for notes that are belted by singers which can help your power bank a lot, plus, it's more natural to belt like a singer than screech like ritsu kire or some bullsh1t lol. i would also recommend just searching videos on YT as well, there is a lot of useful vocal tips. Be careful not to overdo it or strain too much, you can hurt yourself and I know that's not what you want! Take breaks if needed!

Reactions: partial

FeatheredFinch

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
My voice is naturally very mellow.

I want to be able to record a powerful bank, but when I think about it, I automatically think "just be louder", but I know that's not how it's done. Someone once told me it's about projecting your voice, but I don't know how to.

Does anyone have any tips?
I just recorded one and I had a anxiety attack every 5 minutes thinking someone in my apartment would complain, I just tried to push out constinants

Reactions: partial