AkiCinnaBun

Teto's Territory
I'm trying to get around to recording my UTAU but I am very unmotivated and discouraged. I wanted to try a character impersonation for her voice but I can't find a character that would suit her. My own voice sounds weird and I have a hard time making it sound different. This leads to me being very frustrated and unmotivated, and I'm afraid of giving up altogether. Does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Shasta

Professional Lurker
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
You don't have to change your voice to make an utau. If you want, you can record your normal voice, and use g- flags to make it higher or g+ flags to make it lower. Flags work wonders, bro. Also different samplers (If you use windows) helps. There is always a way to make your utau sound different. With practice, you can later come back and record an utau in the voice you're going for. It's ok to have multiple utau voicebanks from the same source and them all not be the same character, I do it all the time. As for motivation, some times you have to be your own cheerleader. What I do is create a really cool, interesting character, then I get super excited to bring this character to life.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
It really helps to listen to different singers or watch cartoons/anime in looking for inspiration for a character voice. What kind of personality does your utau have? Are they the optimistic type? Try a lively tone! Are they the gloomy type? Try a mellow tone! Are they the serious type? Try a dark tone!

In my opinion, when it comes to coming up with the voice for an utau, it's best to establish what kind of character you want them to have then try to practice creating their voice after that.