UTAU appends

Cdra

possibly dead
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Hmm... I don't like "Act" at all myself (I call my editions of core banks things like CV1 or CV VC1 English FULL, etc), and I've never called something an "Append x", but rather just refer to it as the [descriptive term] bank.  (ie, Halt Tanner CONFIDENT or Soledi Ranger NORMAL, which are character and voice based names) But I will call it an append colloquially because that's rather what it does--appends the voice.  And I don't know what else to call it owo;

What would be some other suggestions for how to name your append-style banks?  Rather than append or extend, I mean.  I was going to do names by genres, but I don't wanna steal Myst's idea (though I had it before I really knew her naming scheme, ahahaha)... like: Rock (strong voice), Metal (growly voice), Gothic (sorrowful/choral voice), Bubblegum (a sweet voice; ie bubblegum pop)?  Would that be a good way to do it, or what? owo; I'm just curious since "append" to me is more of a colloquialism than anything, how people could start referring to them to avoid being too Crypton-y? (for us hipster folk who don't wanna be cryptards *shot*)

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
Using a simple word or adjective doesn't make you Crypton-y, really. There's only so many adjectives to describe a "soft" voice and "soft" is just the simplest choice.

I remember someone was polling around for alternate terms, and stuff like "augment" and "plus" came up.

I don't mind the genre thing! I mean genres are another good general idea, like adjectives xD

I also like descriptive words that normally wouldn't be applied to voices, like "Breezy" for Mathieu's laid-back soft voicebank or "Brave" for 911's stronger voice.

adriann

Ye Olde Fart
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
omg AriaBold Arial. Bold. omg I smiled -nerd-

Myst link said:
I also like descriptive words that normally wouldn't be applied to voices, like \"Breezy\" for Mathieu's laid-back soft voicebank or \"Brave\" for 911's stronger voice.
^ This. If it's relevant to the characters, I find this to be so clever.
I'm planning different banks for Daatura that are named after different species of Datura plants according to which one is a more or lesser powerful intoxicant! Yay for hipsters
Oh, I'm not too sure what this has to do with his character persay, but Yohji's strong-voice bank has a gorgeous name, "Sun", and that is a really good example of what an 'appended' voice should be, IMO. As in like, vocal-change.
I've got that fangirl bias.

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm wondering if this would be an example of doing it correctly?
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/utaufawkesy/voice-tests[/soundcloud]
First up is the core bank, then solair, lunair(subject to change), and all three combined.

K

khisui

They are fine if they are well made and there's not too many of them. One or two appends is just ok with UTAUloids.
BUT people should notice that whisper is a hard append with UTAUloids, because UTAUloids sound almost always too breathy and even though they sound cute and.. whispery xD there are people who don't like the breathiness in UTAUloids. It makes it hard to focus on vocals. Whisper append shouldn't be too whispery and can't be as whispery as Vocaloids' appends.
The best append to record to UTAUloid is power-like, because clear samples sound always best in UTAU

Roxanne

Teto's Territory
I really like UTAU appends and recording them.
It's like a challenge to find out how the appends match the orginal voice.

mangosiryan12

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
i love recording appends! in fact i created 4 of it:  Adult, Whisper/soft, Melancholy and Hyper. i used them in different genre. I love playing with them... XD they sound different from the other but not far from the core voicebank.

EspeonLady

Teto's Territory
I'm all for them to be honest.

I mean, some people do it for either giving the UTAU a bit more flexiblity or another personality or dimension or some other reason- It gives the author a good reason to not spring and make a completely new UTAU with a very similar design and a very similar voice to the first bank they had.

The only thing I hate about appends is the need to go and create one or a whole ton of new designs for it- It's still the same voice and everything! Why strain youir brain over trying to make a similar design to the core voicebank.

Example: So one of my UTAU's (Fukasa Nekone) was recorded terribadly (ie; While my brother was playing Red Dead Redemption in the background, while the dryer was going off in the background. At the time he was recorded, we were remodeling our apartment at the time, so it gave it a hollow-y background reverb.) I couldn't exactly recreate the voice I used for him, so I decided to wing some appends to fix the main issue with his core bank- It was terribad.

In short, I use appends as a crutch to the core bank.

Any way you swing it, appends might not be useful to you, but someone using your bank might not see it that way.

...D-did that make sense? ;A;

TheSnowSongstress

Momo's Minion
Defender of Defoko
i like appends honestly, the only issue that may arise is that it can kill a key element of a voice

EX.) If Namida got a strong Append. I honestly know her voice to be soft, so a strong append would kill it for me

but a slight change is always good. slightly higher for sweet, just not overly girly like i've seen people do

MystSaphyr

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Administrator
Defender of Defoko
TheSnowSongstress link said:
i like appends honestly, the only issue that may arise is that it can kill a key element of a voice

EX.) If Namida got a strong Append. I honestly know her voice to be soft, so a strong append would kill it for me

but a slight change is always good. slightly higher for sweet, just not overly girly like i've seen people do

I think it can be done skillfully. I would love to hear a non-breathy Namida that still has that same timidity to her voice. "Strong" bank might not necessarily be the best term, but such a bank could be sharper than her normal voice but still maintain her "feel". In fact I'd like that.

For example, I'm rather fond of Kanochi Neko's Sharp append myself. She's known for being a breathy/soft voicebank, but her Sharp append maintains Neko's overall pronunciation and timbre and is just a louder, crisper-sounding voice and I adore it.