UTSU - A cross-platform vocal synth frontend

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by Lethe, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Lethe

Lethe Ruko's Ruffians Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Hi all!

For the last year or so I've been working on a program called UTSU, (unofficially short for UTAU-ish Thingy with Some Updates.) It's similar to the other UTAU clones that have been floating around recently, but I think it stands out because of its relative lack of new ideas and originality. I was inspired by this thread, so the whole project is posted on Github here and will always be completely free.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

The program was developed and tested on a Mac, but it works on Windows and Linux as well. I'm releasing it in the Alpha phase, which basically means that many features are still missing but it's reached the point where I can add things and debug user issues at the same time.
    Instructions for downloading the Alpha version of the software are here. :smile:

- Fully compatible with USTs from Utau and Utau-Synth, in both Unicode and Shift-JIS.
    - Fully compatible with voicebanks in Unicode and Shift-JIS, including voicebanks with nested oto files.
    - Voicebank editor that can edit/create oto.ini entries, pitch suffixes, and .frq files for a voicebank.
    - UST editor that can create notes, resize them, move them around, etc. No rest notes.
    - Envelope editor with built-in crossfading, in the style of UTAU-Synth.
    - Portamento editor in the style of UTSU-Synth.
    - Compatible (in theory) with every existing resampler and wavtool, including moresampler v.0.8.4 or above (download at https://t.co/VSsFZpp0in)
    - Comes with a default resampler/wavtool pair that works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
    - Can render a song or export it to a WAV file.
    - Can modify flags, tempo, etc., of a UST.
    - Auto hiragana<->romaji and CV->VCV conversion.
    - Can open USTs and voicebanks on multiple tabs.
    - Limited zooming.
    - Limited hotkey support.
    - ...and more!

- Time signatures.
    - Auto VCV->CV conversion.
    - In-depth vibrato editor.
    - Spectrogram view of voicebank sound files.
    - Editor to modify flags, preutter, etc. of a single note.
    - Multitrack. (If you load a multitrack UST from Utau-Synth, Utsu will only load the first track from it.)
    - Background music tracks.
    - Rendering will be slow for long USTs--this is fixable and I will fix it...
    - User preferences.
    - An "undo" button.
    - Support plugins.
    - ...and much more ;w;

You can communicate with me by messaging me on Utaforum or Github, or just posting comments on this thread.

Suggest new features: I'm an UTAU-Synth user, so there are probably a bunch of Windows UTAU features I didn't even think to add.

Translations: The software only supports two languages at the monent, English and half-hearted Japanese. Feel free to translate it into the language of your choice! I can show you how to add new languages directly to the repository in Github. Any design help with accessibility features (such as a screen reader) is welcome as well.

Report bugs: I tested with several voicebanks and USTs but no doubt missed a bunch of bugs. If you notice something, please take a screenshot and report the problem by either commenting on this thread or messaging me on Utaforum or Github.

Design: Utsu needs a sleek design, button icons, desktop icons, etc. Ideally I'm looking for a designer who knows how to make mocks and/or can use CSS. I can pay a one-time commision for design help, in the ballpark of $100 or less, but I'm not willing to go much higher because I'm not making any money off this project to pay people with.

Marketing: This includes promoting Utsu to the community, making a wiki/instruction manual, and adding a marketing website. (I own the domain utsusynth.com but have nowhere to point it to.) Again, I can pay a one-time commission fee for building a website and promotional materials. (@Soursop the fruit has agreed to make a website. Thanks!)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. RaccoonButler

RaccoonButler Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points

Oh thank god, that alone would make things 5000 times easier

4. Mei-Saime

Mei-Saime Teto's Territory Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Woah!! SO many possibilities!! I'm hyped for this! ^^

5. FiftiesYoungin

FiftiesYoungin Procrastination Who? Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I think this is really cool, I think it has potential

6. melodicake

melodicake Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS AAAAAAA

also fellow synth user!!

7. na4a4a

na4a4a Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    If you need space to make a website I can host it for you.
    I'm willing to host any CMS and toss you ftp access.
    I recommend bookstack for a wiki/manual.

Can't wait to see what this software becomes!

Kiyoteru likes this.
  8. Pokefan2012

Pokefan2012 Ruko's Ruffians Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Hey, this is cool! Keep it up! :D

9. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    How can resamplers and wavtools other than macres and yawu be used on Mac? Or is this not possible?
    It'd also be nice to have plugins for Windows UTAU work with this- or, alternatively, have popular plugins as built-in functions (such as bizz's iroiro and arpasing assistant)

melodicake likes this.
  10. Lethe

Trophy Points
    @_caustic_
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

It's theoretically possible, but you would need to either rebuild them from source, wrap them in Wine, or pester the creators until they make a Mac version.

Plugins are possible! I just don't know much about them. If you show me an example of an open-source plugin, I can learn the API and implement a plugin loader. I'm completely for the idea of having popular plugins as built-in features; the only blocker there is me not knowing what any of the popular plugins do.

11. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
  12. Mei-Saime

Trophy Points
    The setup worked. Do I have to reset my computer for UtsuSynth to work? Cause its showing up as a batch program.

13. Shasta

Shasta Professional Lurker Global Mod Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Yeah, I can't even get it to open. I use a windows 10 laptop.

azazel and melodicake like this.
  14. Lethe

Trophy Points
    According to my friend who made the Windows installer, you can run the .bat file and it will run the program.

@Shasta
    It seems like you will need to download Java 8 before the Windows installer will work. The instructions for it are here. Does that help?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. Mei-Saime

Trophy Points
    How? When I run it, it doesn't open.

16. Shasta

Trophy Points
    Ok, updated my java and got it to run. The sound is really nice, but how do you open usts in it?

17. Lethe

Trophy Points
    You can open them with File -> Open. The menu bar is on the top-left of the software for Windows.

By the way, my friend replaced the installer with a new one that shouldn't make you install Java first.

18. Shasta

Trophy Points
    Not working. I tried file>open, then I selected a ust and nothing happened.

19. Lethe

Trophy Points
    That's not good. :sad:
    Can you try creating a file, saving it, then re-opening the file you just saved? If that works then problem is most likely compatibility with the file format. If you message me a link to the .ust, I can debug the program with it.

20. Shasta

Trophy Points
    I can save a file, but whenever I try to reopen it, it automatically opens in utau and regardless of what I do, I cannot get it to open with utsu. I tried file>open and right click>open with>then searched for utus in my programs. Neither way worked. So I can get utsu texts to load in utau, but I can't load anything in utsu. Except voicebanks, I was able to load my own voicebank.

Edit: as for the ust, I just used one from the my favorite vocaloid song medley packs. I also noticed there is no way to select certain notes rather than the whole ust.

21. notsoul_elli

notsoul_elli Teto's Territory Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    If at all possible, when you start the oto part of develop I highly recommend the option for an extra set of overlap and consonant lines.. (the red and green ones lol) so you can have consonants at the end of samples n stuff... NIAONiao is this way.

Please I beg of you