VCV Reclist Preference

Zelfie Windwalker

Ruko's Ruffians
Hello there! Long time no see~

Now that I actually have time to UTAU, I'm considering recording a VCV bank. However, there are some questions/issues I have about picking a reclist. If anyone has used any of the reclists I've found, I'd like to hear what your preference is.

• There's a 5-mora VCV reclist included with Oremo; is it any good?
  • I know the Ritsu VCV reclist is the most popular, but I've heard it has an excessive amount of recordings and some syllables don't get used.
  • Apparently LOKE's 5-mora isn't really customizable, and people have run into difficulties using it...
  • There's an 8-mora based on Rook's VCV; is it hard to use?
  • There's also a 6-mora list included with the 8-mora list's download; has anyone tried using it?

UTAU~Ayume

Teto's Territory
So Rooks 8-mora VCV is not good for use if you want to do a sweet append vcv (or you have to be born with a miku voice or lungs like a bull) but it does a pretty good job on normal VCV's :smile:

However, a 5-mora gives the smoothest recordings (for reference look at Tei's VCV). A friend of mine used it for her UTAU and it sounds pretty good. 6-mora is also a good option if you want to have less data sounds in a voicebank. (not that its like OVER 9000!)

I don't know about Ritsu's VCV, but LOKE has ,from my knowledge, a standalone VCV (which i don't recommmend so much or you have to be a master in otoing xD) but i never tested standalone VCV

For reclists is UTAforum a good start to search for, just search "reclists" in the search bar and there are many posts about them (forgot the link to a post with most reclists ;-:wink:

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I highly recommend a do-it-yourself 7-mora list. Ritsu's does what you said - it makes a lot of unecessary stuff and follows Japanese grammar rather than usefulness, which is a bit stupid in how much extra it makes you record.

To make the custom 7-mora list that I just do for everything now:

Take all the Japanese consonants (B, D, F, G, CH, H, J, K, M, N, P, R, S, SH, T, TS, V, W, Y, Z, BY, HY, PY, KY, MY, NY, RY, GY, I think that's it) and pair then with the vowels of the following strings for a 7-mora reclist:
a a i a u e a
e e u o e o o
i i u a e i e
o u n a n u
n i n e n o
So, you'll get for the consonant B:
ba ba bi ba bu be ba
be be bu bo be bo bo
bi bi bu ba be bi be
bo bu n ba n bu
n bi n be n bo
Rinse and repeat for everything!
(A small side note - in the original vowel-only version of the strings which you need for vowels, the "n" string is "n n i n e n o n" so you get "n n" and "o n", and you only do that once.)
The only downside to doing a list you make yourself and save yourself with romaji filenames is that you have to do the oto from scratch so you need to know what you're doing, but I don't mind that in the least personally because it's the most efficient 7-mora list around.

Yeah, Ritsu doesn't do that. Like he'll have the string "ta ta chi ta tsu te ta" and later you'll have to REPEAT it to get "ta ta ti ta tu te ta" which is retarded. It's best just to do a single consonant all the way through.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
by the way, the reclist included with OREMO is horrible. don't use it, it's super incomplete. i think it's a lite-list, whuch means you still have to record CVs and then edit USTs in order for it to even work

like shinami said, make yourself a non-redundant standalone list.

Fawkesy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I know it's been a while since someone posted in this, but I followed shinamis reclist thing, and I've found that it's actually missing a few things, I've made a list so if anyone who decides to record it can add them in somewhere. Soooo, record the vowels and then add the consonants for them all.
o_i
a_o
o_a
i_o
u_u
u_i
example:
o_bi
a_bo
o_ba
i_bo
u_bu
u_bi
or you could make them in strings like this to save space
o_i_o_a_o
u_u_i
example:
o_bi_bo_ba_bo
u_bu_bi

....I think that makes sense?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
~time has elapsed since the last post of mine~

I love logicking VCV lists, I even wrote a couple lists that I made as efficient as possible by eliminating as many redundancies as I could.. Normal consonants have a 5/8 (strings/mora) pattern, Y-blends have a 4/9 pattern, and the vowels have a 6/7 pattern. Then there's the other list, which is also efficient but has shorter strings. I haven't uploaded these yet but they should go up fairly soon. Or next week, or the week after that. Woops.