Voice banks disappear from voice folder?

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
When I go to open a voice bank folder in the default 'voice' folder (Program Files (x86)/UTAU/voice) none of my voice banks are there... But when I open the UTAU program and 'Project Configurations' menu, my voices all appear of the list just fine, and I can open the Voice Bank Settings.
Now, when I'm in voice bank settings it will show me that all my voice banks are there!
Sorry if this sounds confusing, but here's a picture of the two separate folders.

2m2gqr6.jpg

If I try to copy & paste from the "Open" folder to the folder browser or Desktop, I get an error message.

s58xhd.png

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The copy is most likely blocked by something.
What is your antivirus? Some antivirus programs like norton kinda ruin everything.

Have you tried changing the permission options on the UTAU folder? I'll list the steps here:
  1. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)"
  2. Right-Click the "UTAU" folder and click properties.
  3. Click the security tab
  4. Click Advaced
    1. Windows 10: Click "Change" next to the owner
    2. Windows anything else: Click the owner tab and click edit
  5. Click Advanced
  6. Click find now
  7. scroll till you find "Users" and click it
  8. click okay (okay out of everything and close the properties window)
  9. After closing the properties, reopen them (you have to do this)
  10. Security tab
  11. edit
  12. click users and check "full control"
Okay out of ewverything and that should be all set in that regard at least.
[doublepost=1453708197][/doublepost]One more thing you can try:
  1. go into the start menu and type "cmd"
  2. right click cmd.exe/command prompt and run it as an admin
  3. type in "chkdsk C: /F /R" without quotes.
  4. If it asks to schedule a chkdsk enter "Y" (yes)
  5. reboot and let check disk do it's thing.

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Followed your steps easily just now, but still no more folders than 'uta' appearing in the voice folder :/
I also went to my settings and made hidden files/folders visible, but the voice bank folders still don't show up...

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Followed your steps easily just now, but still no more folders than 'uta' appearing in the voice folder :/
I also went to my settings and made hidden files/folders visible, but the voice bank folders still don't show up...
I added another thing to try to my previous post.

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Unfortunately that option didn't work either, but I toyed around for a bit and found this:
ih5x54.png

The "uta" folder (again, the only folder visible from a normal windows explorer) and the invisible folders have different Security settings/Group permissions.
I tried to change the permissions for these other folders but it gives me the same error as mentioned in my first post, that the directory doesn't exist. However, I'm 100% sure that this is the root of the problem.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
that would be an inheritance problem.

Open up the properties for the Utau folder again and go to security.
Click Advanced
Click "Change Permissions"
Grant "Users" full control via the "Edit" button (there will be multiple instances of this, the ones at the top take priority)
Check the "Replace all child object permissions" box
Click Apply
When asked, click yes.
Be prepared to wait a while depending on the size of the Utau folder.
Okay out of everything and all the folders will have the same permissions.

But the source you are copying from only needs read permissions and it appears to be fine. they do not need to match.
[doublepost=1453710996][/doublepost]I am a damned idiot I never understood you question.

[doublepost=1453711349][/doublepost]The folders should of been visible by rebooting. This isn't a permission issue.
(Only after reading over your question a forth time did I understand it properly...sorry It's late orz)

Erm...
Make sure that under folder options that none of the "hide" boxed are checked. That shouldn't really cause this...
Like I said this i normally fixed after a reboot but windows 10 can be a bit...finicky...

You can try to open an admin cmd again and type in "SFC /SCANNOW" and see if that fixes it (you'll need to let it fix and then reboot.)

But all I can think of is "chkdsk /f /r" and "sfc /scannow"...

(I remember vaguely that windows 10 had serious file management issues including stuff just vanishing which I why I reverted back to windows 7)

Last edited:

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Still no luck on the folders showing up :/

Edit: Ooh wait I didnt see that edit

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
did you try chkdsk and sfc like I mentioned? those should generally take a very long time to complete.

or also try "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"?

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I'm trying the SFC /SCANNOW thing at the moment, it's at 64% of the 'verification phase of system scan'
So this might be a while, but when it's done and I reboot I'll update this post.
[doublepost=1453716073,1453712552][/doublepost]Yeah that isn't working either. There's something going on with that voice folder, but I'm going to reinstall UTAU. Maybe my McAfee decided to be a piece of shit? Well, either way...
At the very least I can save my oto's in other folders without them disappearing, but at closer examination each of the voice banks I had saved to the 'voice' folder had a TON of missing .wav files! So much for trying to save these voice banks. At least one of the ones that mattered most (which I literally made not but 10 hours ago) is saved in a separate directory.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help, though! I really appreciate it ^ ^

P

partial

Installing UTAU in an area other than Program Files/Program Files (x86) is a good idea. I installed mine into my Documents folder and I've never had any problems like this. Even if you have admin power, installing it in a place that doesn't need admin access might be helpful.

Reactions: kaimiz

kaimiz

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Installing UTAU in an area other than Program Files/Program Files (x86) is a good idea. I installed mine into my Documents folder and I've never had any problems like this. Even if you have admin power, installing it in a place that doesn't need admin access might be helpful.
Thanks for the suggestion ^u^

Reactions: partial