Voicebank Organization: Reducing the Clutter?

Panano

Momo's Minion
Okay, so this topic probably exists already, because, surely I cannot be the only one with this problem...thing is, I cannot find it. I also don't know if this is in the right directory, but I'm going to assume it's here. My apologies if it is not.

Okay, so I've been only getting CV voicebanks, but I've come to realize some USTs are only for VCV voicebanks. The plugin that changes VCV to CV or vice versa apparently often 'distorts' the sound or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard the conversion often messes something up....possibly the melody/notes?

Anyway, if I were to get CV and VCV voicebanks of the same UTAUs, it's going to get cluttered. This is where my question really comes into play. What happens when there are simply TOO many UTAUs? I've already organized them by sex (with folders), but, since there are so many females, it's still quite cluttered.

Is there a better way to organize UTAUs? If it gets really cluttered, I'm going to have difficulty finding the voicebank EVEN if I search it up (as I'm on a romaji computer, so most of the names won't be recognized). So, what do you guys do to avoid this problem? I really want to have VCV and CV copies of a lot of voicebanks.

Alternately, I could just clear the 'voice' file and keep the other voicebanks somewhere else; dragging the voicebank I wanted to use into that file. Then again, this would get a bit dicey if I was trying out a new UST on several voicebanks and didn't know which one sounded the best on that particular song. This would be chaotic and would waste a lot of time.

If there is INDEED a topic on this, I've clearly missed it.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
first off, if your machine can't read hiragana, you won't be able to use VCV banks in any case as standard encoding and aliasing uses hiragana (it's rare that a vcv bank is encoded in romaji and no one uses romaji vcv). conversion doesn't cause distortion. it might mess up timing and envelopes, but i've never heard of conversion causing distortion.
as for organization, for banks that are standalone vcv and their cv counterparts, you can combine the voices into 1 folder. some banks are made to be set up in such a way (kasane teto, for ex), while others may not be (i wouldn't do this with a set of banks that has multipitch and don't use the same pitch scheme [could cause prefix map conflicts, idk]).

Panano

Momo's Minion
I have a voicebank converter, so I can switch voicebanks from Romaji to Hiragana or vice versa, destroying that problem. Also, when I said distortions, I meant to the UST, not the actual voicebank. So, yes, envelopes and timing is what I meant (like I said, I've never really experimented with conversion a lot myself, so I didn't know~).

What about registering all the different banks? Even if I DO combine the VCV and the CV bank (of an UTAU) into the same file, won't there still be a lot of clutter? Also, I'd have to register the banks separately, right? Wouldn't they still appear as separate UTAUs on this menu? That's where most of my clutter appears.

upload_2016-4-8_11-43-45.png

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
To fix the envelope and timing issues, select all, right click, Region properties, then clear the Preutterance, Overlap, and STP boxes. If they are gray, it's not cleared. Simply put a space in the boxes if they're gray.

Separate CV and VCV banks of the same character, unless other wise stated. In multipitch banks, individual pitches shouldn't be registered. If the bank is designed to work with several appends in one bank, don't register each append separately.

There's no way to easily organize voicebanks in the selection window. You might need to just deal with it.

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

(I hope this video processes soon cause idk why it's taking forever)

I made that, I hope it helped a little bit. I know it's not 100% what you were meaning but it might help a bit

Panano

Momo's Minion
@StarsNeverStop Thank you so much! That definitely helps, as having to click on each one to see the English name is, well, super annoying. You even made a video; I feel so special :uhuhu:

@Zoku Good to know! That certainly sounds easy enough to fix. I thought it was going to be something super difficult, to be honest. It's a bit dissapointing that there is no easy way, but that certainly helped one of my problems.

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
@StarsNeverStop Thank you so much! That definitely helps, as having to click on each one to see the English name is, well, super annoying. You even made a video; I feel so special :uhuhu:

I usually make video tutorials to help explain how to do things since I have trouble just explaining in words XD I need to actually show people what i mean lol

Panano

Momo's Minion
One last thing though: a lot of my voicebanks don't appear to have the 'character'/ 'read me' file. Some of them have the 'read me' file, but it's broken and appears like this:
upload_2016-4-8_14-55-15.png
Is there a way around this? Do I just make a character file?

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
One last thing though: a lot of my voicebanks don't appear to have the 'character'/ 'read me' file. Some of them have the 'read me' file, but it's broken and appears like this:
View attachment 2066
Here is a solution :smile:
Download this: http://utaforum.net/resources/ultimate-starter-kit-for-newbies.207/
And drop the readme and character text files in there and edit the files to have the basic information you know :smile:
The little thing you saw appears after the UTAU is opened in UTAU.exe

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
View attachment 2066
Is there a way around this? Do I just make a character file?
That is not a 'broken' readme file. That's just a file used by UTAU for other reasons.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Glad to know you got help for your questions/problems. Sorry I couldn't help further, but I was at work (no cellphone policy - only during our two 10 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch). Don't worry, with time you'll get the hang of things in and around UTAU.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The plugin that changes VCV to CV or vice versa apparently often 'distorts' the sound or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard the conversion often messes something up....possibly the melody/notes?

Sorry to come in on this thread so late, but you posted in the middle of the night.
There is no need for a VCV to CV converter plugin, as you can simply use Tools > Built in tools > Suffix Broker to remove the romaji prefixes and leave the kana lyrics intact.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
:0 Why don't you change the UTAU folder's name to the romaji version immediately after downloading it so you can search it

★StarsNeverStop★

Princess Of The Stars
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
:0 Why don't you change the UTAU folder's name to the romaji version immediately after downloading it so you can search it
that doesn't work all the time. Most UTAU have the name coded in the txt titled Character, since not everyone wants their UTAU to be name "utau 57 VCCV english version 2" or something