What mic to get?

Cupcake

Talk-A-Lot
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
So yeah, think i'll use the cheap mic for a while and change to something better later on.
People say that the Blue Yeti is real good but is the best option for the buck? If someone can suggest other mics it would be great + whoever has the mic can you give me your feedback about it? Good/Bad/Samples/UTAU work etc.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on your budget. That being said no matter your budget avoid the Blue Yeti & Blue Snowball.

As for specific recommendations these are the best in their respective price tiers. Prices fluctuate so don't buy they outside of the listed price ranges, you will be overpaying.

Hentai's General Mic Recommendations
Logitech USB Dynamic Rockband Mic ($10-20)
CAD U37 USB Condenser Microphone ($40-50)
Behringer C-1U USB Condenser Microphone ($45-60)
Audio-Technica ATR2500 USB Microphone ($50-70)
MXL 006 USB Condenser Microphone ($70-100)
Monoprice USB Condenser Microphone (<$100) *note*
MXL 008 USB Condenser Microphone ($100-130)
Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Plus Microphone ($100-130)

* - Note: The Monoprice USB Condenser Mic is basically a MXL770 ($85, analog) with a built in audio interface and without the hard case+shockmount.

Below the $50 territory you start entering the Rockband mic range and I recommend against making any significant investments in this price range and instead saving your money. Above the $130 price range you start seeing significant diminishing returns, the selection of USB mics decreases, and you are better off going with an Analog Mic+Digital Interface route, rather than buying a USB mic.

Example: At $140 you can get a Blue Icicle ($35-40) audio interface and an analog Audio-Technica AT2020 ($85-$100, analog) for just $10 more than its USB counterpart. Advantage of getting USB and microphone elements separately being you can update them separately as needed, can have multiple analog mics, get access to the healthy used analog mic marketplace, and gain access to a wider selection of analog microphones.

Caveat: While I used the analog AT2020 in my example, if I had to choose between $100 condenser microphones I would have gone with the Behringer B-1 ($100, analog) or a used, normally more expensive analog microphone off of eBay or Craigslist. Also in order to cut on costs I purposely excluded the cost of a 3" or 6" foot patch cable. While AT2020/B-1 + Blue Icicle would work without it I recommend against running it in that configuration. Get a 3-foot or 6-foot Balanced/Shielded XLR cable for <$8.

Last edited:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I second the U37/U39 (same mic) if you need something really cheap, It's a Snowball and Yeti killer.
Since you mentioned the Yeti then the MXL 008 or the CAD GXL2600-USB are also very good choices around the same price point,.. if you want something somewhat better than the u37.

The Yeti isn't that great of quality tbh, you pay mostly for the extra features (that you'll never use), the aesthetics, and the brand itself. Like divide the price of the Yeti by 3 (it has three capsules) and that'd be how much it's worth in sound...and maybe even lower...

You can also got XLR if you want, though it will cost a tad more to start off.
With XLR you could eaily get something like the Behringer UMC22 and the CAD GXL2200.

Since you are buying a mic and don't already own a Snowball/Yeti/spaceshipeyeball that means you have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of us other people and not have to make them yourself ._.;;;

Last edited:
Reactions: Cupcake

Kuku Klock

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I personally think its more of "where and how" you record verses "What mic you use"
I would suggest keeping the whatever you have and getting another one unless something terrible happened to the one you have.
So far I've used like 4 mics in my seven years of utauing and i have to say, my cheapest mic gave me the best quality.

$6 headset (In a quite ish room)
female- soundcloud.com/kuku-klock/rott…
Male-soundcloud.com/kuku-klock/kuru…
$50 Snowball-
female: soundcloud.com/kuku_klock/kura…
Male: soundcloud.com/kuku_klock/kuru…
$100 Yeti-
Female:soundcloud.com/kuku_klock/utau…
Male: soundcloud.com/kuku_klock/utau…

(Gave both genders cause reasons) (But I still think my lil $6 one is better than my yeti most times)

Reactions: Cupcake