When in an utau considered as "abandoned"?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Just something I thought about some time ago while trying to sleep.

When it comes to utau, the terms "discontinued" and "abandoned" tend to be interchangeable with the former term being only used if the owner announced it.

When is an utau considered as an abandoned utau? Is it when the owner announces they probably won't make anymore voicebanks for that utau but still keeps them up for download (ex. cubialpha with Kumi Hitsuboku) or maybe have no idea on what to continue updating on? Is it after a certain time period of no update (ex. Rook's last update was back at 2014 and that was just an artwork update)? How about those who are too busy to update their voicebanks? Is not continuing development considered as "abandoned until resumption"?

Ame。

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I consider the voicebank dead when the owners take off the UTAU's existence (voicebank) from off the web.

Matsudappoiyo doesn't count, since he was revived to give out all his vbs in a limited time.

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Hm, to me it seems whenever the creator of an Utau stops updates, and perhaps deletes the links to voicebanks and whatnot, and even proceed to leave the community. It happens a lot, and a lot of the popular voicebanks from back then are given up by their creators, and people sort of forget about them. Kinda sad, when you think about it.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
When the voicebank hasn't seen any updates for a long time, the website has no updates, and the creator has fallen off the face of the earth.

But if the author still does things and they just don't update the bank because they think it's "good enough" then it's not abandoned imo.

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
But if the author still does things and they just don't update the bank because they think it's "good enough" then it's not abandoned imo.

I agree with this. If the creator is still doing work with their own UTAU, like making songs and covers, then it's definitely not abandoned. The current version just happens to be the final version- you don't need to keep recording new voicebanks forever. But if the creator is doing absolutely nothing with their UTAU anymore, nor do they have any future plans, that's when I believe the UTAU should be considered abandoned. Maybe they're fine with people continuing to use the existing downloads and such. If the creator goes as far as to delete the UTAU, such as taking down wiki pages, videos, websites, etc. then that is discontinuing.