Why do Almost All UTAU Song Titles Use These Funky Brackets?

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
For some reason, almost all utau song titles use brackets like【 】instead of the usual square brackets [ ] or parenthesis ( ). Why is this?

Reactions: JuPluu

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's sort of a tradition, I suppose.
(And full-width characters look nice. [HASHTAG]#aesthetic[/HASHTAG] )

Reactions: Tema

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Japanese has slightly different punctuation; those are simply Japanese brackets, which can be written as【】or 「」 as opposed to the western []. Other Latin punctuation is also different, like ! = !? = ? . = 。etc. Personally I just use Latin punctuation because it looks more crisp to me, but that's a matter of opinion. If I were to be writing an actual sentence in Japanese, not just formatting the title of my UTAU covers, I'd use the Japanese punctuation.

Reactions: JuPluu

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
Japanese has slightly different punctuation; those are simply Japanese brackets, which can be written as【】or 「」 as opposed to the western []. Other Latin punctuation is also different, like ! = !? = ? . = 。etc. Personally I just use Latin punctuation because it looks more crisp to me, but that's a matter of opinion. If I were to be writing an actual sentence in Japanese, not just formatting the title of my UTAU covers, I'd use the Japanese punctuation.
I so second that. If I was actually writing in Japanese, I would use proper Japanese punctuation. But for Utau song titles (which are English half the time) I would just stick to plain-old Western punctuation. But the other style brackets,「」, Actually look kinda cool IMO.

Reactions: FelineWasteland

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The corner brackets「」 are also used in mathematics, though I forgot what for.

I don't use japanese punctuation for 3 reasons
1. I don't speak japanese
2. My keyboard does not have japanese punctuation characters
3. I can't remember what the alt codes are for them, and usually don't care to look them up.

JuPluu

Teto's Territory
OMG. So sorry. I always use them :cry:
I don't speak japanese either, but I think it looks cool. It's like a pattern for almost every UTAU user.

moonst4r

Witch of the Night
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If I had to guess, it would be that we adopted it from the Japanese community and it just caught on and became a trend over here. Not to mention it's aesthetically pleasing.

luiysia

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If I had to guess, it would be that we adopted it from the Japanese community and it just caught on and became a trend over here. Not to mention it's aesthetically pleasing.
yeah, I'm almost certain it's to copy the japanese users. plus gotta love that monospacing