Why do people say cvvc is hard to use ?

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
I want to make a cvvc but I noticed nobody uses cvvc and a lot of people say it's hard to use why is that ? Is that why a lot of people don't use cvvc ? Should I just make a vcv ? This is hard

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Depends on what language you're talking about, most people say CVVC English is hard but I don't tend to hear that about Japanese CVVC, especially since it has a converter plugin.

Utau4life

Teto's Territory
Depends on what language you're talking about, most people say CVVC English is hard but I don't tend to hear that about Japanese CVVC, especially since it has a converter plugin.
I was talking about Japanese and I listen too a lot of cvvc banks and they sound a little weird even ritsu eve sounds off to me 0_0

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Lots of things cause CVVC banks to sound off.
For a beginner, use P2P3 and edit the crossfade box (eg add the letters you want to crossfade).
As you get more advanced you can mess around where the VCs are and how long they are. (I prefer putting them in frint of my CVs)
Also make sure the STP and crossfades are reset before you use any ust.

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
CVVC English IS more difficult to use compared to, say, CV Japanese. But there's no way around that - this issue is inherited from the English language itself, as it contains a huge amount more sounds than Japanese does. So it's not CVVC is hard, it's English is hard. CVVC is just a method to enable Utau to use this vast amount of vocalizations. Japanese CVVC could also inherit some of the difficulty from CVVC, as a CVVC bank will have many more degrees of complication due to the fact that CVVC involves blending several samples together, which requires more work for the user.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
There are a couple of reasons I can think of:
1. They don't have or don't know how to use the CVVC plugin. And sometimes when its used it skips some notes.
2. They don't have/ don't want to use presamp. Some people want to use a different resampler that sounds better.
3. And the biggest reason; tuning gets a bit harder. When the notes are split to have VC endings it gets a bit hard to tune the pitch bends, due to the way they work. But I think the plugin that allows you to draw the pitchbends can solve this issue.

Theres also not alot of ust that are "plug and play" for CVVC. You allways have to either use presamp or convert it.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
There are a couple of reasons I can think of:
1. They don't have or don't know how to use the CVVC plugin. And sometimes when its used it skips some notes.
2. They don't have/ don't want to use presamp. Some people want to use a different resampler that sounds better.
3. And the biggest reason; tuning gets a bit harder. When the notes are split to have VC endings it gets a bit hard to tune the pitch bends, due to the way they work. But I think the plugin that allows you to draw the pitchbends can solve this issue.

Theres also not alot of ust that are "plug and play" for CVVC. You allways have to either use presamp or convert it.
I agree that tuning is definitely harder for CVVC, but I don't have 1 or 2 and never had issues.

Zarsla

ENG-JPN UTAU User
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Honestly, I don't really tune if I use the plugin. I usually clear the STP, And contanst volecity, Then I set up the crossfade and then I use p2p3.
When I do tune, I'm trying to recopy the way the pitchebends are due to the fact that the VCs are now in front of the CVs.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Pretty much what JeremyB796 said. It's not difficult at all to use or particularly hard to configure (if you have a strong foundation in configuring in the first place after practice/trial and error). It's just that people don't bother to learn it. The thing about configuring in general is that: most people can't configure cv smoothly and cvvc in particular needs the user to be well versed in how to make it smooth in the first place before they can tackle the vc portion. That's why some examples of its use sounds "off."

Oh, and for future questions, there's no need to create a thread every time. The site has a chatbox and you can get any questions you have answered there pretty instantaneously.

Reactions: Zarsla and Kiyoteru

Miramiee

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I mostly agree with the above: as long as you put in the effort to learn how to configure CVVC, it will be considerably easier to use. You'll be surprised about the amount of people who use CVVC, though, as it IS growing in popularity especially in the Japanese UTAU community. However, just because it seems like no one uses CVVC in the western UTAU community doesn't mean it's not a good style to record in. Imo, it's the fastest and easiest way to produce a good quality bank.

Ok--this'll be a really in depth way of explaining it so I hope I don't lose you-- You don't need to read it but if you want a better understanding of how CVVC works exactly, then yeah you should read.
Tuning wise, CVVC allows for more control of velocity (if that makes any sense). That simply means you could choose where certain consonants cut off the previous note rather than having the consonants slowed down by "Consonant Velocity."

For example: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1LDvvFrTYO4 (The quality is bad on this website but you can still hear it)
The first was VCV slowed down by Consonant Velocity. The second was CVVC using the VC note. If i wanted to, I could adjust the length of the VC note to stop the "a" sound earlier. You can't exactly do that with a VCV bank. This is why CVVC has the potential to sound better than VCV, if done right. Plus, there's less to record, less to oto, and when you tune, you could use the VC notes for extra "umph" if that makes sense.

In any case, the only way I find CVVC to be a little more complex is that it combines CV otoing and VCV otoing (in a way). If you already know how to oto a CV well, though, all you need to learn is how to oto the VC notes (which takes less than 5 minutes). It's really not hard if you put in the effort to learn (that's how this program works in general).

The only downside is probably how much you would need to fix the VC notes. Most of the time you probably wont need to but sometimes yeah..you'd need to really fix up the note.