Why do you think CVVC isn't so popular?

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I think Kiyoteru is right. While I can use VCV better than CVVC, mainly due to experience, but I actually prefet CVVC. I'll rather record a CVVC Update, due to the fact that I want my UTAU to be at least trilingual.

However I am considering making a VCV, just for Japanese users, and people who prefer Japanese...

Reactions: partial and Nohkara

Cheese

cured meat enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Personally, I'd rather make a VCV bank for a lot of reasons,
  • You're basically guaranteed to get a smooth result
  • VC's can easily be oto'd out of a VCV bank
  • There's so many more resources for it
I mean, CVVC is still pretty smooth, very efficient recording wise, and has plenty of resources made for it, but I'd rather just use a VCV voicebank regardless though because file size isn't an issue for me, and anything CVVC has can just be oto'd into any VCV bank. If there is an UTAU that I really like who only has CVVC though, I'll use it for sure- but that's almost never the case.

That's my take on CVVC vs VCV though, and I'd assume that's probably the same belief held by many who prefer it over CVVC..? Anyways, I think because of that + it being newer and due to it becoming more accessible only relatively recently (at least compared to CV and VCV) is why it's less popular.

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I wager it's the same reason many of our favorite [synths/voices/etc.] aren't popular. It's a matter of notoriety, what came first, and what your linguistic preferences are. Everyone - on average - starts with Japanese when they get into UTAU/vocasynth and their first favorite banks are usually Japanese, so naturally... they'll gravitate towards copying what those voice banks do. If the most advanced voice available is multipitch VCV, that's what the average person will use and care about.

That preference extends to voices that aren't ours. You'll use banks similar to your own - esp. to decrease incidence of quality discrepancies.

That said... I prefer CVVC due to versatility.

Last edited:

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
If you're not great at otoing, your CVVC won't sound good.

Learning CVVC otoing can be a great step for understanding different oto styles (especially if you're interested in doing an English bank later on), but it's still fairly difficult to get right, especially on the first time. This can be pretty discouraging or frustrating to a less experienced user, even if the recording count is less overwhelming (source: me). While VCV has more recordings, it's a bit easier to have a less quality oto on the VCV and get away with it. Poor otoing on a CVVC will make it sound bad, at the very least on transitions.

While a CVVC ust is not difficult in theory, it can get frustrating if your bank itself isn't configured well or if you're not too familiar with the methods behind manually creating a CVVC ust. Or if autocvvc never seems to work properly for you aka me.

I always had troubles finding useful resources for CVVC in general. CVVC resources feel very scattered...it's a bit easier to find things for VCV.