How do I elongate the consonants in VOCALOID2?

kam0109

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I heard that the VEL parameter in VOCALOID2 doesn't do anything, so what am I supposed to do?

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
For "soft" consonants (ie, consonants that aren't stops or affricatives) you can just put them on their own note and use the length of the note itself to control the length of the consonant. If you do this, just know that the consonant goes before the original note. You do not need to move the original note, rather make the previous note shorter to make room. The vowel starts where the note starts, so removing the consonant from the note doesn't change the timing of the vowel. This is why the preutterance goes at the start of the vowel in UTAU, for example.

For "hard" consonants, you're pretty SOL. The easiest way to do it is to just use DYN to create a longer gap before the consonant. This effectively turns it into CV, but it's the easiest way to make it sound like the consonant is being held longer.

Sometimes, depending on the consonant and the voicebank, you can double the consonant at the end of the previous note. (Or in the case of affricatives, double the first character of the phoneme.) For example [a t][t a] or [a t][tS a]. This doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot.

If you have the room for it and you need the consonant to be a lot longer, you can wedge in another full CV note with the same consonant and use DYN to silence the vowel. So for example, [a][t a][t a], and the DYN parameter would be zeroed out underneath the first [t a]. This maintains the VC transition unlike the first method above, but requires more editing. You also have to be careful that you silence the first consonant but not the second one, which is mostly a matter of guesswork because you can't physically see when the consonant starts or stops in vocaloid. (Ie, the equivalent of what would be the preutterance in UTAU is invisible in VOCALOID) Unless you really care about that VC transition, this might be more work than it's worth most of the time imo.