You can give just one tip for an utau newcomer. What would you say?

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
You knew a new utau friend, but he is going to take the bus at this moment and bot of you don't have much time to talk about utau/synthesizers in general. He asked for one tip about utau/synthesizers, what tip would you say to him?

If I was you in this scenario I would say for him to get a high quality utau and stick with it for a time instead of changing frequently the voicebank he is working with. Utaus can vary a lot depending on the quality of them, so if they get a good utau and stick with it as much as he can he would learn way more, and would be less frustrated, than if he was constantly changing voicebanks.

What do you think about my tip? What would be yours?

IO+

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
I would say that as well, even though they might don't like your tip.

It may sounds rough to some people but more honest, i mean at the end of the day, it's all about results.

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I would say that as well, even though they might don't like your tip.

It may sounds rough to some people but more honest, i mean at the end of the day, it's all about results.
Yeah! It's kinda rough, but it works pretty well. Utau/synths are kinda hard depending on the voicebank you picked if you don't know how to work with it yet.

So it really makes things worst, having more than 1 vb, and just dismotivates newcomers instead of helping.

Ibis

Teto's Territory
You knew a new utau friend, but he is going to take the bus at this moment and bot of you don't have much time to talk about utau/synthesizers in general. He asked for one tip about utau/synthesizers, what tip would you say to him?

If I was you in this scenario I would say for him to get a high quality utau and stick with it for a time instead of changing frequently the voicebank he is working with. Utaus can vary a lot depending on the quality of them, so if they get a good utau and stick with it as much as he can he would learn way more, and would be less frustrated, than if he was constantly changing voicebanks.

What do you think about my tip? What would be yours?
I agree with this to an extent, because it is a lot easier for beginners to learn with a nicer quality voicebank so that they can get down the basics. Still, I don’t think anyone should be saddled with a voicebank they don’t like until they are “good enough”. Unless you are getting frustrated with how hard your bank is to work with, you should be able to start with whoever. You are going to be using them most often, why not start early? The day I decided to finally start Utau I downloaded the program, got Ruko’s voicebank, and got to work. Did I know how to use them properly? Of course not! I didn’t know how to use their VCV or even their appends for almost an entire month. But I stuck with it because it was fun. If I made myself use someone else, I probably would have given up because it wouldn’t have been fun for me. And at the end of the day, does it matter how good you are at something if you’re enjoying it?

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I agree with this to an extent, because it is a lot easier for beginners to learn with a nicer quality voicebank so that they can get down the basics. Still, I don’t think anyone should be saddled with a voicebank they don’t like until they are “good enough”. Unless you are getting frustrated with how hard your bank is to work with, you should be able to start with whoever. You are going to be using them most often, why not start early? The day I decided to finally start Utau I downloaded the program, got Ruko’s voicebank, and got to work. Did I know how to use them properly? Of course not! I didn’t know how to use their VCV or even their appends for almost an entire month. But I stuck with it because it was fun. If I made myself use someone else, I probably would have given up because it wouldn’t have been fun for me. And at the end of the day, does it matter how good you are at something if you’re enjoying it?
I completely agree.

Big_B

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
learn to oto would be they one I give
That one is pretty cool, but, in my opinion, more important than oto is recording. Oto is an easy proccess and doesn't exist much mistery behind it.

But recording consistently pitch and make your ".wav" files as consistent as possible is what really makes the difference. You can fix a bad oto, but you can't fix a bad recording.

Reactions: Ibis

IO+

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
That one is pretty cool, but, in my opinion, more important than oto is recording. Oto is an easy proccess and doesn't exist much mistery behind it.

But recording consistently pitch and make your ".wav" files as consistent as possible is what really makes the difference. You can fix a bad oto, but you can't fix a bad recording.
The unfortunate truth...

Reactions: Big_B

cloudyyskie

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'd say, be ready to hit a lot of dead ends. Broken links are everywhere, you're not gonna be able to find a UST for every song you like, something's not gonna sound right, you won't know how to do such and such thing that such and such coverist does, it's gonna be a mess. But, you gotta deal with it. Especially if you've never used a synth before, you'll suck at it at first. Do. Not. Give. Up. I promise, it's worth it, even if you don't want to pursue synths as a career, it's worth it.

Also, networking is important. Friends are good. Have fun!