Attitude in the Community.

SOHBlue

Master of Doom
Defender of Defoko
(I planned to reply yesterday, and now there are so many wordy replies ^^; I may repeat what others have said)

Despite having been an UTAU user for almost 3 years, I haven't been that active in the community as I had hiatuses in 2014-2015 while returning sporadically and having continued being active in the community just a couple months ago; I can't speak as a long-time member of the community, but I can speak as a member who has seen glimpses over the course of almost 3 years' time.

To be honest, I enjoy how everyone is striving more: voicebanks, covers/originals, tuning, mixing, new oto methods, and the like. Plug-and-play covers are less common and otos are better than before, and there's the glorious moresampler (a pleasant surprise to find out when coming back)!

To want to be the best at something you love doing is very normal. As arrogant as these may sound, I had thoughts of wanting to "be the next kyaami" and to be "the best Miko Ooka user" before which is incredibly ridiculous and embarrassing to admit. Kyaami is MitchieM from another dimension and the best Miko Ooka user is ChieP (every hardcore Miko fan knows that :wink: As long those kinds of thoughts don't consume and blackens your personality but rather motivate, it's perfectly fine.

Back then, I limited myself to just the vipperloids (with some exemptions) with the unadmitting fear that I will find other "better" UTAU - I was right: I've been downloading more UTAU I wished I found about much earlier; not to mention, the majority of them are non-Japanese VBs!

As stated above, I've been absent in the years before, and to be honest, I find the fandom much more mature than before: drama is shorter and more people reflect on their actions. While fandoms gain more naive members when growing and lasting longer, the earlier members eventually mature.

Now I'll try to read the other replies *.*
Spare yourself from mine, you'll be lost in the paragraphs! ToT/

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Im gonna come in here and just talk. If i dont make sence/ have spelling errors its 2 am while im writing this.

Ive had utau since i was 10/11 and dindt produce any banks until age 13. Dind get involved with the community until i was 14, when i joined uf. Im not gonna like, it was kinda bittersweet. I dont really count my self as part of the community (sometimes i do) tbh. I just sit back and watch. (I know im gonna get questions about this particular statement)

Zoku, I agree with you about the communities attitude. Imo, so many people want to be the next Kasane Teto, Hatsune Miku, hell even VY1. UTAU stopped eing about fun and about who can produce the best bank, who can be the next big utau for a month. UTAU used to be fun, everyone at peace, sharing their banks with each other, granted we still do that, now it's like
"CV? NO! GROSS! I ONLY USE 40 PITCH VCCCVCCVVCVCVCBCBCVCCCCVVCV", Now its the VCV,CVVC,VCCV Master race. Some people need to understand that utau is about fun and making a product they enjoy. So what if you dont have a HQ mic, still use CV, cant make ust's/music. You should still have fun, make friends, and live up to your standerds. So what if one person doesnt like your utau. Its not the end of the world. Also stop comparing your utau to other utau. Please. Honestly we're on our way to being like the Vocaloid Community. Toxic af. Well....We are toxic. It

==Moving Along==
Mean Feedback is better than no feedback at all. I type "Mean Feedback" like that because, some people dont know the difference between mean comments and constructive critizim.
Example of Contructive Critism gone wrong:

1: LISTEN TO MY UTAU!
2: I dont like the voice tbh, there are some oto problems, it sounds like there are some frq maps and a little fuzzy.
1: FAQ YOU! I GIVE UP, faq this. Im out peace bish.

Constructive critizm isnt supposed but me Nice, or sugar coated icecream with sugar on top. It's supposed to be straight foward with intent on helping you/user/users improve with their UTAU. The only time you should be offended is when its actually mean like
"Eww gross. Kys, kill this utau with the msot fire you can find." <== thans when you should be offended. If you dont like drama and to avoid it, its best to ignore these comments, ignore the user, and move on with your life. That simple.

Though the UTAU community isnt all negative, there are some positive aspects. Like
-More diverse voices
-More diverse users
-A large array of different projects, idea's etc etc.
-More innovative banks/ lists and other things.

Im sure there are more but thoose are the only ones i can think of atm. Again, Im sorry if none of this makes sence, and filled with spelling errors.
I said almost all i wanted to say. Its still 2 am. Im going to sleep.

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
You know, I have heard many stories of people being attacked for having a shitty first bank or using CV and I think I can now place why that happens.

I think we sometimes get so caught up in the awesome potential of UTAU, that we forget that there are still people starting at square one. When you are new at UTAU, it's pretty much impossible to make a good ambitious bank on the first try. Experience is needed and is gained over time, and I think we forget this sometimes when we look at the shiny new things...the shiny new standard, compared to the base we all must start with.

Shibaru 101

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I first discovered UTAU when I was 14 years old. That was like 4 years ago. I was confused on how to use it and I don't really know English back then.

Then I comeback to UTAU last year and make my own UTAU voicebank. At first, I don't really know that this forum existed lol. So I post about my UTAU at vocaloidotaku.net and there are (not so many) negative thoughts. I wasn't really sad about it. Really...

Then I post my first UTAU cover at Youtube, which is Circus Monster. I was expecting negative comments but I think three people commented on my video saying the voicebank was great! And for the first time, I have an online friend, MurphiNerr/BadGirlMurphi.

Her UTAU is really good and it is the first voicebank that I have downloaded. She is very nice. I used her UTAU for my Magnet cover and she used my UTAU for her I=Fantasy cover.

Then I stumble on this website. When I first come here, I thought, "If I post my UTAU here, will they give a negative response? ". But I give it a try and make an account. When I introduce myself here, all of you guys were friendly and nice. And I met a Malaysian here too! I am so happy here that everyone was nice and friendly. But there is something wrong...

I see ( not really here ) that people were racing to get VCV banks. Saying that CV is gross and all that. And (not really) everyone wants their UTAU to be famous, like Ritsu, Ruko, The Yukailoids and Makune Hachi. And what do I see that people want their UTAU to have a KIRE voicebank. Even I planned to make it too, just for fun. But for the others, it's a different case. They make a KIRE voicebank just for fame. And to make it, they said they must use Ritsu's reclist.

I was really annoyed by this. Wasn't UTAU is for fun? Where did the fun go?

Absolutely no idea...

Idk if I want to post it here but I think it's OK. Right?

Meta

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've pretty much given up. People in this community are selfish and there is nothing you can do to stand out. No matter if you make original content. I can't even really muster the effort to touch UTAU anymore since I've become so bitter about it.

People say "just do it for yourself" but when you work so hard, it's nice to have some recognition for it. Wanting attention isn't a bad thing. Everybody wants it to some degree.

Ame。

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't know if this is anything but-

I noticed that people tend to look at lesser-effort made covers (for Vocaloid, anyway, haven't seen anything on UTAU as of yet) and really it's just spitting on the person who actually took effort in mixing and whatnot, tuning.

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三

chunter

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Quick skipable bg info: I was shown the first Miku demo in 200x, waited until I had a better pc, made chipmusic at the time. Wanted to do a vocal for a song while my wife was sleeping, used AquesTone so I wouldn't disturb her. Tried UTAU for improved quality. Liked it.

I don't mean anything harmful when I say, if your year of birth is more recent than 1986, you are not socially or emotionally mature by any measure, and that's okay. Prior to getting involved in United Together Around UTAU, I didn't bother seeking out other non-Japanese UTAU users, and from some of the previous posts it was a good move. The truth is, every fan community I've been involved in has issues that crop up because the majority of active members are teens to 25ish who are at different levels of social awkwardness and are still learning their ways in the adult world. When you think you are having a bad interaction, remember that it is a learning experience for both of you.

There is no harm in quitting just like there is no harm in coming back, but if you really want to remain in the community it shouldn't be your first resort, and it especially shouldn't be over a single event or a single person.

I don't create voice banks and I'm pretty well locked in with the ones I like to use. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to create new voice banks anyway, but I'm sure it effects my opinion somewhat. This thread is ironic for me, because I was getting along poorly in the chipmusic community when I started posting Momone Momo works and found that I was getting ten times the plays, etc that I did from instrumental chiptunes. Therefore, I'm here for the attention too, I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise. I was considering announcing that I won't do submissions for chipmusic compilations anymore, because I just haven't connected with them in the same way, and don't think I ever will.

Having said that, please consider the following:

There is music outside of our speech synth world, and some of you are developing skills appropriate for it. You can bring UTAU to those music forms if you haven't already.

There are also other skills that go with making your voice bank that are job marketable.

There are other hobbies that can help you make a better voice bank.

Tl;dr- Most fandom members are not mature and there's a fair chance that neither are you who reads this, please use conflict as a growth opportunity. Also remember that quitting and returning or taking your skills to another art form is not a crime.

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've been part of the community since 2009-ish. The beginning, the stone age of UTAU. I didn't actually start adding to the community until 2011-ish but I did lurk in youtube comments. In those days, we had a lovely character named annamaeblythe. And by lovely, I mean horrible. She was a "holier than thou", VCV is the only way kind of person (Keep in mind this was when VCV first became a thing). I ran into her when I was first making my banks and I still shutter at the thought of my interaction with her. Ruined anyone who ran into her. She was the troll you were told not to feed. If you've been around for a while, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't know who I'm talking about, just be glad you didn't have to deal with her.

A thing to keep in mind
, a majority of users at that time were not like Mae. Mae's just a single instant of assholery. Most people I saw in the community were willing to help, having a great time, didn't give a rat's behind about whether your UTAU sounded like a fart through a tube (because their's probably sounding the same way at the time) Fast forward to now, sure there's some saying "CV isn't any good", "you need a good mic that cost your first born child.", "plug and play is lazy". I don't know anyone in particular and we don't have to name names or pull out receipts with proof of purchase. We know they're there, waiting to pounce. Since our community has grown, logically, there's going to be more like Mae feeding on the tears of new users. That's just how the world usually works. The more people, the higher chance of having asses/bad eggs.

The point is: there's always going to be these selfish, condescending, narcissistic characters in the community. Just like in the early years, they aren't the majority and shouldn't become the majority. annamaeblythe was only one person out of the bunch that stuck out due to her attitude. A majority of the community, I feel, is still is okay with CV banks, helping newbies, spreading the love, etc.

Even though we've moved on to bigger things (more originals, better reclists, better techniques, all these great things) I think we still have a mainly welcoming community. Most of the people I've talked to here aren't elitist. People go out of their way to make users feel welcomed and to help with their projects if they need it. However, I still think some of the newcomers may need a little reality check. You don't need to have a VCV multipitch with seven different appends, English samples, vocal fries and end breaths, if you feel it's too hard and no longer fun. If you want to make one, go for it. Just don't feel like you HAVE to.

In the end of the day, we're all just dicking around on our computers making vocal synthesizers. I think it's really sad that people feel they need to meet unspoken standards just to feel adequate in the community. UTAU is supposed to be hobby, some thing that you can do to get your mind off of things and have fun with. Hard work should obviously be rewarded/ praised, but users shouldn't feel like it's a chore to participate especially when it's supposed to be a hobby.

TL;DR-Don't let a minority of people drive you away from having a great time with the program and the community that stems from it.

That's just my two cents. IDK Maybe I've just been around too long and haven't play an active enough role to notice a major change...?
Sorry this is so long and probably doesn't make sense

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I think most people here is agreeing with a thing, I will put it in just a phrase:

"One of the community's problems (if not the main one) is the seeking of popularity"

Or maybe replace "seeking for popularity" by "meeting of standards that shouldn't really exist"?

Reactions: Olivia091220034