Microphone suggestions

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
[This website is a pain to use on my phone, let me tell you.]

Okay, so, long story short, my old mic busted and I need a new one asap. I don't want to spend any more than about $25, $30 max, but I'm looking to more around $15-20. I plan to use it for voice acting, utau voicebanks, and skyping with friends. It can be either standalone or part of a headset. Any suggestions for good quality microphones?

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Ah, I wish I could break budget, but I don't have a lot of spending money at my disposal. The third one is what I already owned that broke OTL

I guess I could always buy it again, because it is a very good mic for it's price.

Thank you for your suggestions!

amaterasu miya

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Well, I use a Logitech USB microphone that I got with Rock Band
It cost me about £5 but its good quality, I use it to record Utau voice banks and it does the job well ^^

Mugi

Teto's Territory
I used the Rockband Mic for like 2 years, but I've recently upgraded to a Snowball Ice.

If you search around, you can find great things. Many many people use the Logitech clearchat headset. Those run for around 35-40$.

If you're willing to save up for a while, I'd suggest stepping up to a Snowball Ice. It's a little pricier at 60$, however, you could probably find some used models on eBay for around 40$.

If you edit your samples, EQing them and removing background noise, I'm sure you can get the most out of your mic!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
//screams get a nice mic get a nice mic get a nice mic get a snowball and not the iCE, the SNOWBALL(period)

//slapped for not recommending cheaper stuff

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Christmas is a few months away (or maybe your birthday is sooner), if you REALLY need to do UTAU now you could get a cheap-ish nice-ish mic now and ask your folks for a Snowball later? Or even a Nessie if you guys are more upper middle class.

this is of course going on the assumption that you're a teenager like most utau users so i automatically assume so and that you're not poor which i apologize if you are and that your family life is okay orz so many assumptions

Mugi

Teto's Territory
Yeah I use a snowball ice and I honestly don't see a problem with it. I know how to work with audio equipment so all of my samples a relatively nice quality.

//get a microphone that you can AFFORD. You should never feel bad or shameful for not being able to buy something of higher cost or quality. Just get what you think will serve you well!

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
//snowball has -10dB mode and omnidirectional mode and those can sound different and stuff

//slapped again

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Yeah I bought a TechNmotion a few weeks ago [the same mic I had as before] but I'll probably ask for a nicer microphone when my birthday/Christmas rolls around [they're only a few days a part].

The Snowball mics definitely look promising, and affordable as a gift.

Also most of my budget does come from the fact I'm lower class and seldom have much spending money :annoyed:

So unless I get one for a holiday/birthday I gotta stick to cheaper stuff, but I try to make the best of my budget, and my mic is pretty good quality, or at least acceptable quality.

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you can scrape together $50 I highly recommend the ATR-2500 it is the single best mic under $100 bar none.

I can't recommend this enough when it comes to recording vocals on a budget.

When it comes to price-performance this is the best mic on the market.

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Hentai said:
If you can scrape together $50 I highly recommend the ATR-2500 it is the single best mic under $100 bar none.

I can't recommend this enough when it comes to recording vocals on a budget.

When it comes to price-performance this is the best mic on the market.

I will definitely keep this one in mind also! I'm going to be consulting my dad [who pretty much dedicates his spare time to working with all things audio] on the matter, and I'll ask him what he thinks would be best for me.