Microphone Tips

magentazav187

Momo's Minion
Ok so basically, I use a BM 800 to record my UTAU now, but I wanna get the absolute best quality I can from this mic alone, I've tried editing in audacity and even using Voicemeeter but nothing is working. there's noise, it's also very soft sometimes and tbh I want more bass in it. any tips?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Using the included cable and connecting directly to your computer will create very noisy results. I suggest investing in an audio interface with an XLR input and an XLR cable. There are many cheap audio interfaces out there with one or two inputs, which are well suited for simple home studios. I use a Behringer UMC22, though the Scarlett 2i2 is also quite popular.

Reactions: magentazav187

magentazav187

Momo's Minion
Using the included cable and connecting directly to your computer will create very noisy results. I suggest investing in an audio interface with an XLR input and an XLR cable. There are many cheap audio interfaces out there with one or two inputs, which are well suited for simple home studios. I use a Behringer UMC22, though the Scarlett 2i2 is also quite popular.
Thank you^^ oh and i forgot to mention, the mic came with a Live sound card box thingy- I used it and it gave me less noise but when I use it on louder vocals it clips like hell. ill send a pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

• yuh yuh finna get slayed yuh.jpg
    yuh yuh finna get slayed yuh.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

IO+

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
If you want more bass from your voice, you have to get your head fairly close to the mic and don't wiggle your head too much while recording.
If you aim to record loud voice into it you can reduce input gain and sing louder while maintain good level of recording.

I actually prefer dynamic microphone over condenser if your recording environment is not suitable.

Reactions: magentazav187

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Thank you^^ oh and i forgot to mention, the mic came with a Live sound card box thingy- I used it and it gave me less noise but when I use it on louder vocals it clips like hell. ill send a pic of what it looks like.
If it's clipping it's most likely one of 2 things:

The audio you're recording is simply louder than the maximum Sound Pressure Level that your mic can handle. This is limited by the hardware of the mic itself and the only way around it is to make the sound that's physically entering the mic quieter, which is most easily achieved my moving further away or recording at an angle to the mic instead of straight on.

Far more likely however is just that you need to turn the gain on the mic down. I see from the photo posted that you currently have the gain turned all the way up, so I'm certain this is the cause of the clipping. Turn the knob down until it doesn't clip anymore.