New VOCALOID4 Engloid: Ruby

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
It's anyone's guess. But like someone said on VO, just because V4 has the cross-synthesis feature doesn't mean every bank has to make use of it. I'd like to see an English bank with appends, but I don't know if the developers would consider it "worth" doing.

rainbowpawa

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
It's anyone's guess. But like someone said on VO, just because V4 has the cross-synthesis feature doesn't mean every bank has to make use of it. I'd like to see an English bank with appends, but I don't know if the developers would consider it "worth" doing.
i know that's what they'll think!

rainbowpawa

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
and guess what? SHE'S GETTING A SECOND VOICEBANK, but it's uncertain whether Syo will work on it. He did say that it'll double the workload. If he decides to make the 2nd voicebank, I'm hoping for a Power.

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Well, sweet/whisper no ? As her core is already powerful

Or it could be a seocnd VB built for another language though.... They have the opportunity of making appends, it'd be sorrowful

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I doubt it'll be another language, because if I remember right Syo said he's only considering a second bank so she can use XSY.

I really wish they hadn't said that she was going to be ready for release by last Christmas because I think that's half the reason I'm so impatient waiting for her

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ruby's "final" art shown at Anime Expo 2015. Just......why?

View attachment 1231

I really hope PFX listens to the backlash and uses Allegri's final design she's been working on for a year. They literally whitewashed Ruby and stabbed Syo in the back, when every Engloid that has an official design is white (not counting JPN>ENGloids). FFS, even if this design had been Latina/POC I wouldn't be half as upset, but now I'm seriously considering not buying her if they use this art

fmccaddy12

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I really hope PFX listens to the backlash and uses Allegri's final design she's been working on for a year. They literally whitewashed Ruby and stabbed Syo in the back, when every Engloid that has an official design is white (not counting JPN>ENGloids). FFS, even if this design had been Latina/POC I wouldn't be half as upset, but now I'm seriously considering not buying her if they use this art
Using Natasha's design, especially seeing how she posted the potential sketches beforehand, would've been a lot better than making another Sonika (RIP Trash Queen). Power FX really screwed up; showing this instead of using Syo's/Natasha's design while they had full permission from PFX to do the characters design. Who knows if they'll bounce back from this.

Buck

Ruko's Ruffians
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That design though. Its like Sonika crossed with Cyber Diva. I hope they have changed the voice to fit that because that demo we heard does not suit at all. Or maybe change the design. Whichever is easier (lol).

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Again, as I saidmultiple times in the chatbox yesterday night, this art is amazing and looking cool, but tied to the wrong voicebank

They could keep this one, but for a different Vocaloid, and an actual punk-rock one (so then ti'd be totally originalboth vocal-wise and design-wise... Plus you imagine, a mature, versatile and crisp voice with the design they showed ? ) and use the Natasha illust for Ruby

Moreover I really felt bad for Syo, Natasha and Misha, but also for the artist who was hired to draw this and who will get backlashed while ti's not even their fault =/

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
PFX confirmed to be pricks

Anders, on 06 July 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Bil Bryant the CEO of PowerFX asked me to publish the following message from him:

It´s is great to see how passionate and engaged the Vocaloid community is with unveiling of Ruby at the recent Anime Expo in Los Angles. However, it has been very disappointing to have PowerFX and a few of our associates be accused of racism, "whitewashing" and other vulgarities regarding the official artwork so I would like to dispel a few of these misconceptions.

1. The artwork was based on request I had for the commissioned artist and done 6 months ago. We were diligent in not exposing it until now.
2. There was only one artist requested and paid to do the Ruby artwork for PowerFX, no one else was ever asked to submit or do official artwork.
3. We wanted to create a cover that was slightly different, would appeal to digital music makers and EDM producers while not totally alienate the existing user base.

Those were all my decisions, so please leave the good people who do PowerFX support alone and aim those arrows at me: bil@powerfx.com

Ruby sounds great and I'm very excited about her addition to our Vocaloid family.

Best regards,

Bil Bryant

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I read that as "We did this many months ago and didn't tell anyone because yolo."
"We weren't gonna accept other designs in the first place"

Welp. That's business for you.

Tbh, just use the fan design over the official...who the hell cares because we can't expect them to change their, while shitty, design at this point.
they should of at least notified everyone involved so that the other deaigns didn't need to be made of something...I will say that the "official" design looks like she could be Sonika's sister.

Terindie

日本語 Patrol - Active Duty
Defender of Defoko
Syo was diligent that his team had full design powers. Whatever happened to that?

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
There was probably some loophole or lack of solid paperwork confirming it. A company can pretty much say anything they want then take it back when nothing binds them to their word.

Because the design has been ready and done for so long- it's not an issue with racism it's an issue with doing it under Syo's nose.
Would the darker skinned design be better? Imo, hell yes.
But at this point there's nothing to be done officially.

Last edited:

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
But at this point there's nothing to be done officially.

I don't know about that. Going by what Misha said on Twitter, it sounds like she never signed anything that allowed PFX to use her voice. If she's unhappy with the design, which I'm 105% sure she is, I don't see why she couldn't put her foot down. Honestly, at this point I would personally almost rather see Ruby cancelled than let the design slide. I hate to say that, but PFX does not deserve to make a penny off of her if they're going to treat the developers this way imo.

ETA: Someone on VO said Misha's not getting paid????? ???? ??? I do not see how that is legal I hope someone official clarifies this soon

Last edited:

bio

VocalSynth Enthusiast
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
tbh
ETA: Someone on VO said Misha's not getting paid????? ???? ??? I do not see how that is legal I hope someone official clarifies this soon

Last edited: