The UTAU user's dream recording kit!

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Let's start off with a bit of a disclaimer.
  1. This list is for people who may want to invest their money into UTAU
  2. This is for optimal home recording/making your own home studio.
  3. This list will change.
  4. I will try to make this list as affordable as possible, keep in mind professional tools are expensive.
  5. I will mostly use amazon for price comparisons, if you have a better price for a tool in this list please post it.
  6. This will not contain programs. This is just for tools/equipment.
With that being done, let's get this show on the road. For the sake of organization and simplicity I will split up this list into categories. Microphones, isolation shields, pop filters, and stands. I will also -have the list organized by price range; lowest to highest.

Microphones:

Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser Microphone
Price: 39.99 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42/

Thoughts: This mic is amazing for it's price! I'd recommend it to people who are a little bit on the tight side when it comes to budget. I also recommend using the Cardio -10dB setting. It works pretty well!

51LY0gazMwL._SL1023_.jpg

CAD U37
Price: 41.41 USD
Link:
https://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO
Thoughts: It's an okay mic, but for it's cheap price it's a good start to climb up in quality from your phone or laptop mic.

716JQbhpJ%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Blue Icicle
Price: 49 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS
Thoughts: A bit on the tinny side, but it's very easy, simple, and it gets the job done!

51P-y%2BaOAyL._SL1500_.jpg

ATR 2020
Price: Varies, usual range: 80-100 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK
Thoughts: This mic is really good for it's price... However, there is a catch! You're going to need one of these in order for you to catch it on your computer. All in all, this mic may cost you around 220-290 USD in the long run.

71f3j0zawYL._SL1200_.jpg

ATR 2500
Price: 77-93 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM
Thoughts: This is the microphone I use to record my UTAUloid KATAI. I'd say it's pretty good, although it's infamous for picking up background noise.

81fv1hZSQiL._SL1500_.jpg

Blue Yeti
Price: 129-149 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S
Thoughts: A very popular mic within the UTAU and voice acting community, with good reason. The sound quality is nice, although it suffers from the same problem the ATR2500 does with its background noise.

810YezTuMWL._SL1500_.jpg

Focusrite Scarlet
Price: 199-250 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Studio-GENERATION-Interface/dp/B00AW91CPG
Thoughts: This is an amazing microphone! However, the reason why it's at the highest part of the list is because it only comes in a bundle with the equipment needed for it (and all your recording needs.) I would HIGHLY recommend this to someone who's experienced with condenser microphones and who's ready to just get it done in one blow. (I would love to get this someday.)
:sing:
61fV2tjx8FL._SL1500_.jpg

Isolation shields:

Silverback soundcage microphone shield
Price: 68.39 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Silverback-SoundCage-Microphone-Shield-SW-30621/dp/B014I87IMC
Thoughts: This is a time saver if you're not into moving from one room to another! Just set it up on your desktop and kill that awful background noise. THIS WILL NOT STOP NOISE FROM OTHER PEOPLE TALKING

41nfGOeEjeL.jpg

Monoprice 602650 Microphone Isolation Shield
Price: 86.17
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-602650-Microphone-Isolation-Shield/dp/B00GR9W1MS
Thoughts: Bigger, better, and a whole lot of coverage. If you have a stand, this is perfect for you!

61qpH1R1RML._SL1000_.jpg

Pop Filters:

Dragonpad pop filter
Price: 8.29 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Dragonpad-USA-filter-Studio-Microphone/dp/B008AOH1O6/
Thoughts: The typical pop filter for those who use stands.

81cvqJ4Z5RL._SL1500_.jpg

SUFUM's pop Filter
Price: 14.80 USD
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Desktop-Microphone-Double-Net-Adjustable/dp/B01IP516YK
Thoughts: This is one of the best ones to get if you're a desktop recorder. Fits most mics too!

51z%2BHVNppGL._SL1001_.jpg

Sound Booths:

PSIB27
Price: 36.00
Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSIB27-Recording-Soundproofing-Isolation/dp/B0117DB5TI
Thoughts: While it blocks out sound in the surrounding area, it does have muffled results at times. But if you have an awful house with no insulation, this is perfect!
81hRAY8p6qL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
the last popfilter won't fit on most mics properly as it sits on top rather than up front.
This looks more like a list from cheapest to most expensive with no consideration on how they compare to each other thus far.
perhaps this needs a bit more polish

EDIT: I'm sorry about the typos I'm really tired and it's worse than being edrunk.

Last edited:

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Aaaaa I've been looking to get some isolation shields, these look nice eee

Thanks for the thing <3

EDIT:

I have the Scarlett interface, I completely recommend it it's so nice?? Don't get M-Audio's interface pls save urself

Also i'm legit getting one of these isolation shields ily

Reactions: Sheanna122

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I hope this doesn't come off wrong.
Isolation shields aren't a great investment.
They work on the idea of preventing sound from "coming out" or "leaving" beyond an area so that it cannot hit the walls and reverberate/echo.
They in no way will actually block sound from the outside because the material on them doesn't have enough mass/density...
they tend to use very loose foam that is a lot like what you'd stick on a matress but in black.

The only product like that that I know of that does actually work is the "Aston Halo" which uses a plastic-felt material. It's also a lot lighter and has no metal so you don't cut yourself on it like I do on mine lol...I don't use it anymore...

Last edited:

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
the CAD u37 is a phonomenal mic i recommend it

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ahem.

Isolation shields are a very good investment if you plan to record a strong or shout bank. Yes, obviously they will not filter background noise and they're not really supposed to. But with stronger banks, the reverberation off the walls is going to be a pain in the ass and causes a lot of problems in a lot of voicebanks I've used, so it's great to have something to keep some of that out. For background noise, that's a matter of how you set up your recording area. You should invest in things to soundproof the room you decide to record in if you want minimal background noise (though if your voice is loud enough, it usually covers it and it won't matter).

You know what isn't a great investment? Your opinion.

Edit: broke a rule, sorry. won't comment on this again

Last edited:

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Pop filters can be made on the cheap with just some wire hanger and thick stockings/panty hose, tbh...

I would further break down the mics in terms of what voicetype they'd go well with as well as their downsides (some mics will be more balanced, while others are more treble or bass heavy).

I would also include a category for interfaces - for those who use XLR. My personal contribution to that category based on personal experience...

Blue Icicle (49.00)
- No frills, no gimmicks, no drivers that will break with Windows 10 and beyond... Just plug into the mic, set the audio in your daw, set the output volume, and record.
- Because everything's built into that small tube, it's more compact and long recording sessions will get it warm/hot to touch. The warmer it gets, the more self-noise it creates. Good for CV/CVVC with more than 2 mora, but VCV or VCCV will require breaks to let it cool down. You'll want to have extra cords handy - in my experience, the default cord almost never registered as being connected to the computer, regardless of OS.

UR12 (79+)
- Better than Blue Icicle in that it doesn't get hot, but it's more refined in that a mic will be more sensitive to input. Made pretty solid where a drop or wayward pet shouldn't leave you out of commission.
- You'll have to get some 1/8th to 1/2" jack converters (if you want to record with monitor input without messing around with generic ASIO/ASIO4all, WaveRT, etc. and don't have bluetooth headphones - just use the Yamaha drivers), a type B to type A usb cord, and an XLR cable, so the full price can add up to at least $100 or so.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Ahem.

Isolation shields are a very good investment if you plan to record a strong or shout bank. Yes, obviously they will not filter background noise and they're not really supposed to. But with stronger banks, the reverberation off the walls is going to be a pain in the ass and causes a lot of problems in a lot of voicebanks I've used, so it's great to have something to keep some of that out. For background noise, that's a matter of how you set up your recording area. You should invest in things to soundproof the room you decide to record in if you want minimal background noise (though if your voice is loud enough, it usually covers it and it won't matter).

Such shade , much wow.
Like I said, the cheap foam foam in the common isolation shield isn't going to be effective. I have actually owned one that is basically the same as the ones listed. Everything you're saying is baseless considering you have never actually owned one yourself.

I don't get where you have the gall to be so snide when I try to actually give honest advice.
Being a jerk is something I don't like doing, and would rather not. Sorry.

Last edited:

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko

This comment is incredibly unnecessary. The expression of one's opinion doesn't need to be justified as long as it's not aggressive or hostile, like @_caustic_ 's post is. He just shared information that is useful to those looking into buying an isolation shield. Y'all need to chill.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
That's very unnecessary. This thread is intended for helping people to get the most bang for their buck - to stretch their resources as far as they can afford (and perhaps to prevent the millionth and 1 thread asking 'Which mic should I buy?' cause it always indirectly turns into a 'my mic is better than this suggestion' spat). It's possible to make a louder bank without an isolation shield and not worry about reverb, but that depends on one's personal situation. Some houses have thin walls with little to no insulation, not all rooms have curtains and rugs, etc. In that case, yes... invest in an isolation shield if it's necessary - whether it's foam, plastic, or whatever. If you say that you need an isolation shield, fine, but don't lord yourself over others who may find it a waste of money. Everyone's opinion and contribution to this thread has been a valid one without disrespect and you should follow suit.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that a lot of people in this community are hobbyists - they're not trying to make Vocaloids or commercial products, so they don't feel the need to spend top dollar to get a studio/professional sound. Problems in audio is simply the risk one takes when they use libraries from non-professional voice providers who are on a budget using freemium software.

Last edited:

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
@Zoku

Yeah I was very immature, and I just woke up and couldn't hold my tongue so I wasn't thinking. The rest of my issues are gonna go down privately. (Doesn't excuse my behavior and I am aware so woop)

@Suyeon

In no way did I try to say it was necessary, I said it's a good investment with louder banks. I realize I was incredibly rude in my post, and I should've just ignored the user. Sorry about that, I'm really bad with holding my tongue lately.

notsoul_elli

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
The reason for the shade is because sometimes certain people don't get along. This is okay. hate is unfortunately a human emotion.

but otherwise thank you for the list!!

Reactions: Sheanna122

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Would a portable sound booth be a decent replacement for an isolation shield, or an even better alternative? I'm planning on foaming a wooden box...
sort of like this: http://blogs.scarsdaleschools.org/digitalnewsrooms/files//2016/02/voxbooth-1aadrxx.jpg
Portable sound booths still suffer from the same issue of the foam being really thin and ineffective.
Also portable booths puts "walls" too close to the mic itself and will cause a bloated "boxy"/closed off and congested sound that takes the life out of recordings.

"Studio Foam"/Acoustic Foam is actually very ineffective at it's job due to it's low density.

You'd be better off grabbing every blanket, pillow, and flipping your mattress over to make a fort to record in rather than making a portable booth.
It's also free...

The reason for the shade is because sometimes certain people don't get along. This is okay. hate is unfortunately a human emotion.

I have no idea what you're talking about/getting this from. To be honest I am not aware of previous gripes. I don't hate them and I'm pretty sure I haven't don't anything to them. What just happened I'll just sweep under the rug.

Last edited:

Avalia-Kasa

probably a potato tbh
Supporter
Defender of Defoko

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Did you mean to post this in the resource section?
http://utaforum.net/resources/
WHOOPS
[doublepost=1474859867][/doublepost]
Ahem.

Edit: broke a rule, sorry. won't comment on this again

That's why I mainly put it there. :tongue:
[doublepost=1474859945][/doublepost]
I hope this doesn't come off wrong.
Isolation shields aren't a great investment.
They work on the idea of preventing sound from "coming out" or "leaving" beyond an area so that it cannot hit the walls and reverberate/echo.
They in no way will actually block sound from the outside because the material on them doesn't have enough mass/density...
they tend to use very loose foam that is a lot like what you'd stick on a matress but in black.

The only product like that that I know of that does actually work is the "Aston Halo" which uses a plastic-felt material. It's also a lot lighter and has no metal so you don't cut yourself on it like I do on mine lol...I don't use it anymore...

The main reason why isolation shields are here is if you don't have any room in your house or area you're recording in that isn't suitable.
[doublepost=1474860128][/doublepost]
Pop filters can be made on the cheap with just some wire hanger and thick stockings/panty hose, tbh...

I would further break down the mics in terms of what voicetype they'd go well with as well as their downsides (some mics will be more balanced, while others are more treble or bass heavy).

I would also include a category for interfaces - for those who use XLR. My personal contribution to that category based on personal experience...

Blue Icicle (49.00)
- No frills, no gimmicks, no drivers that will break with Windows 10 and beyond... Just plug into the mic, set the audio in your daw, set the output volume, and record.
- Because everything's built into that small tube, it's more compact and long recording sessions will get it warm/hot to touch. The warmer it gets, the more self-noise it creates. Good for CV/CVVC with more than 2 mora, but VCV or VCCV will require breaks to let it cool down. You'll want to have extra cords handy - in my experience, the default cord almost never registered as being connected to the computer, regardless of OS.

UR12 (79+)
- Better than Blue Icicle in that it doesn't get hot, but it's more refined in that a mic will be more sensitive to input. Made pretty solid where a drop or wayward pet shouldn't leave you out of commission.
- You'll have to get some 1/8th to 1/2" jack converters (if you want to record with monitor input without messing around with generic ASIO/ASIO4all, WaveRT, etc. and don't have blue tooth headphones - just use the Yamaha drivers), a type B to type A usb cord, and an XLR cable, so the full price can add up to at least $100 or so.

Thank you! I understand that people may want to make their own pop filters. But those who would rather buy, I supply that.

As for the mix, thank you. I'll add them when I get the chance! (I also appreciate your opinions on them, that means I don't have to apply research! ):creepy:
[doublepost=1474860365][/doublepost]

You're welcome! :tongue:
[doublepost=1474860584,1474859682][/doublepost]
Portable sound booths still suffer from the same issue of the foam being really thin and ineffective.
Also portable booths puts "walls" too close to the mic itself and will cause a bloated "boxy"/closed off and congested sound that takes the life out of recordings.

I'd say that depends. those sound booths really ruin quality if you don't have them set up to your face right. That and they're really hard to manipulate. But, I think it depends mostly on circumstances. But I will add sound booths to the list! Thank you for your contribution.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Super thick mover's blankets are also a good option if you want something easier than vocal "booths" and filters.
You can hang or drape them around you and they'll generally even do a better job, especially since you can layer them.
Or just regular blankets too.
You avoid the combing/phasing of a booth. You never want your mic near a surface for that reason. Things will start to cancel out.

Just another idea being tossed out there, because blankets are easier to get then ordering the other stuff online.

Remember, a cardioid mic already rejects sound from the back and sides. So under normal circumstances the echo and reverb will be coming into your recordings from the front of the mic.
A reflection filter just adds more protection to the back in which the mic is already rejecting for the most part.
Also sound is more three dimensional and coming from all directions while reflection filters only deal with the back and maybe a tiny bit into the sides. Sound will be coming from the top and bottom as well.
Ideally you would be dealing with behind yourself more than in-front.

Last edited: