The UTAU user's dream recording kit!

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Super thick mover's blankets are also a good option if you want something easier than vocal "booths" and filters.
You can hang or drape them around you and they'll generally even do a better job, especially since you can layer them.
Or just regular blankets too.
You avoid the combing/phasing of a booth. You never want your mic near a surface for that reason. Things will start to cancel out.

Just another idea being tossed out there, because blankets are easier to get then ordering the other stuff online.

Remember, a cardioid mic already rejects sound from the back and sides. So under normal circumstances the echo and reverb will be coming into your recordings from the front of the mic.
A reflection filter just adds more protection to the back in which the mic is already rejecting for the most part.
Also sound is more three dimensional and coming from all directions while reflection filters only deal with the back and maybe a tiny bit into the sides. Sound will be coming from the top and bottom as well.
Ideally you would be dealing with behind yourself more than in-front.

I can see the blanket method bringing good results (I've done it). The only problem I can see with it is discomfort; which has me re-record multiple time because the blanket slipped from my desk or other mishaps. I think if you properly line up these booths, they would have similar results. (Just as adjusting yourself can have different results for your mic. Distance... ect. ) I'd say it depends on the user's situation and what they are willing to get for their situation. (which is why I originally provided sound booths. I would recommend a blanket but, that's me. I know a lot of voice actors who find these booths useful, so I felt I may provide them.)

But yes, the any cardio mic does record from the front. But for mics like the ATR2500, there is no option to have it stop it from recording from all directions. (although the quality is good.) Which is why I would recommend a sound booth or a thick comforter blanket with that kind of mic. I do thank you for putting this here in the comments though. Some people may want to use this method to save some major cash. But for those who want to record full on naturally without any issues that your method may bring like discomfort or the blanket causing a lot of issues with their stand ect; I'd say, go with the 60 bucks.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I can see the blanket method bringing good results (I've done it). The only problem I can see with it is discomfort; which has me re-record multiple time because the blanket slipped from my desk or other mishaps. I think if you properly line up these booths, they would have similar results. (Just as adjusting yourself can have different results for your mic. Distance... ect. ) I'd say it depends on the user's situation and what they are willing to get for their situation. (which is why I originally provided sound booths. I would recommend a blanket but, that's me. I know a lot of voice actors who find these booths useful, so I felt I may provide them.)

But yes, the any cardio mic does record from the front. But for mics like the ATR2500, there is no option to have it stop it from recording from all directions. (although the quality is good.) Which is why I would recommend a sound booth or a thick comforter blanket with that kind of mic. I do thank you for putting this here in the comments though. Some people may want to use this method to save some major cash. But for those who want to record full on naturally without any issues that your method may bring like discomfort or the blanket causing a lot of issues with their stand ect; I'd say, go with the 60 bucks.
The ATR2500 is a cardioid. It doesn't record from all directions, only the front. All the mics you've listed are cardioid or have cardioid as the default.
So there is no need to worry about the mic recording in all directions as that would require it to be omni-directional.

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The ATR2500 is a cardioid. It doesn't record from all directions, only the front. All the mics you've listed are cardioid or have cardioid as the default.
So there is no need to worry about the mic recording in all directions as that would require it to be omni-directional.

While it maybe Cardio, it picks up echos that bounce off the wall behind me. To stop the sound from bouncing from the wall behind the mic to the other wall, I use a shield.

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
While it maybe Cardio, it picks up echos that bounce off the wall behind me. To stop the sound from bouncing from the wall behind the mic to the other wall, I use a shield.

That's not what you said though?
"But for mics like the ATR2500, there is no option to have it stop it from recording from all directions."
Like cardioid mics do only really record from one side.
A shield will protect the back (which is already rejecting sound) but won't do anything for the front.

And it's Cardioid, not cardio. Just an small fyi.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Sheanna122

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
That's not what you said though?
"But for mics like the ATR2500, there is no option to have it stop it from recording from all directions."
Like cardioid mics do only really record from one side.
A shield will protect the back (which is already rejecting sound) but won't do anything for the front.

And it's Cardioid, not cardio. Just an small fyi.

(I was drunk typing that lol) But, I was mean is to stop my voice from bouncing from behind the mic... which bounces from the wall behind me which the mic records. (I have no insulation in my house whatsoever. That, and I can't move my mattress at all, it's built onto a frame.)

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I am such a newbie on recording, but I have been told by some people you can do yourself the isolatoon shield things using paperboard and acousticfoams...Is this really true at all?

Also, I saw some...kinda well-known overswas UTAU users recording by putting the mic inside a "cave" made of several pillows...I tried myself using a omnidirectional mic and it diminished the background noise. Even so, I think it is not a replacement for isolation shields XD

na4a4a

Supporter
Defender of Defoko
an isolation shield is easy to make but will still kinda have lackluster results.
Just take a box, or a half circle, and glue foam on.

if you want a better material then you can see if you can get denim insulation (like they put in walls) for cheap....but then you have issues of getting it to stay together without some sort of support/frame.
--------------------
Insulation within the wall generally doesn't affect how reflective your walls are. If your room is massively reflective then a shield won't really do much as it will still bouce around your room and get into your mic one way or another.
You know that breakout game where the ball breaks the bricks above you? Think that but with sound.
Reflections need lots of mass to be absorbed, so something like a closet with a specific selection of non-glossy/smooth clothing that's thicc would be a better option.

If that's also not an option then you can also try recording as far from a wall as possible. Not dead center but just slightly off-center is best.

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
sidenote, if you're a completely broke hobo like me, it's not a bad idea to record in a closet, since there's a bunch of clothes to absorb sound and it's a small isolated space :, y