Thoughts on Vocalistener/Vocalshifter?

❤️PuririnLuka❤️

Arsloids Guardian
Defender of Defoko
So like I was browsing the internet, but then I stumbled upon some videos or articles saying that Vocalistener/Vocalshifter is called cheating.

Is it really cheating?
I mostly see this software as an aid to help people learn to tune their own songs, that's how I learned, but now I don't used them anymore. but I would like to hear everyone's opinions on this​

Reactions: HIRATELIER

sailor _ravioli

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
the fact that people think its "cheating" is a matter of their personal opinion that i would honestly take with a grain of salt
i tend to think of vocalshifter/listener as a helper or a short cut
as Adlez said do what you want as long as its legal

sorry if i sound saltier than the dead sea

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
Honestly, I use vocalshifter to look at how a real human voice would shift in pitch, then I mimic that with the pitchbends in UTAU.

As far as using it on your actual UTAU vocals, calling that cheating would be like saying that any sort of vocal effect applied during mixing is cheating; I don't see why it would be considered that.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
As TeiNu said above me, I'll use it more just to see the how the human voice would shift and mimic it in UTAU. Sometimes you might not know how to get a certain feel you want and you might use it just to get it done but over time, in my opinion, you'll use it less and less because you learnt how to get a certain feel because you practised before. The same applies to Vocalistener.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
VocalShifter and Vocallistener are great tools.

VocalShifter is actually a full blown autotune/melodyne alternative and not just limited to utau and Vocaloid. It's good for studying pitchbends too.

Vocalistener is ki da expensive and limited for the most part. It's good at what it does though.

At the end of the day they are, more or less, totally different and both have their place.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
They're tools that are there - like any other plugin - to help achieve a goal faster (in this case, pitchbends), but they're not cure-alls that eliminate work all together (pitches can go off key or the voice being used can sound drunk from results). A "cheat" is something that takes away any effort on behalf of the end-user/intentional manipulation of a built-in mechanic that's not meant to be tampered with. Vocalistener and vocalshifter don't completely take away effort (there's the effort of singing if a song doesn't have an acapella; there's the effort of corrections of parameters and pitches, so it's not set-and-forget) and aren't hacks that violate TOU/TOS.

They're perfectly fine to use - or not use - as someone sees fit.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I can only speak for Vocalshifter (since I don't have Vocaloid) but it's not like you just copy and paste the human pitchbends and call it a day. You'll still have to do a lot of fine tuning which takes forever.

As someone who requests vocal renders from Vocaloid users, it's super useful for tuning since I can't rely on the vocal renderer to tune every time and how I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomato Hentai